Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Steering box leak

Dear Argosy Motorhome Gurus,

We are still having lots of fun with Harvey our 24' Argosy RV. We are preparing to bring him out of winter hibernation and he has sprung a leak from his steering box 😮 and we've decided the best thing will be to replace it.

Do any of you know what make or model we are likely to have - he's a 1977 24ft and who might stock such a rare and marvellous thing?

We'd really appreciate your help.

Cheers from Cornwall
Chris and Beverly
In Cornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 11:18 AM   #2
1973 Dodge Cayo Motovator

Vintage Kin Owner
Dahlonega , Georgia
Steering boxed themselves rarely leak. Usually a hose or hose connection. I just replaced mybsteering box on my 1973 Dodge RV, was a pain, but not difficult. Almost all auto parts supply houses have reman usits for less than $200 if that is what you need
Outbackga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 05:55 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The steering gear boxes on the Argosies (and Classics) have steel piping to the gearbox connections, no hoses. Typically the only hoses in the power steering system go from the PS pump to the hydroboost, one pressure and two return.

The steering gearbox will have two seals, one for the input shaft from the steering column and the other for the output shaft. My guess is the output shaft is probably leaking if the leak is at the gearbox itself.

Here's the gearbox I bought to replace the gearbox on my 74 Argosy. According to Rockauto the 74 and 77 have the same gearbox.

When I replaced mine I removed it and took to the local autoparts store and they ordered a replacement. Since you're in the UK you might want to do some research to ensure you get the right one.

While replacing the gearbox be sure and replace the gearbox coupler. The thing to watch for when replacing the coupling is to make sure to match the spline count.

Be prepared to invent some new cuss words because getting access to the bolts holding the gearbox to the frame is almost impossible. Also be prepared to dismantle parts of the front grille to gain limited access.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackga View Post
Steering boxed themselves rarely leak. Usually a hose or hose connection. I just replaced mybsteering box on my 1973 Dodge RV, was a pain, but not difficult. Almost all auto parts supply houses have reman usits for less than $200 if that is what you need
Thanks for your advice Outbackga, we're very grateful.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
The steering gear boxes on the Argosies (and Classics) have steel piping to the gearbox connections, no hoses. Typically the only hoses in the power steering system go from the PS pump to the hydroboost, one pressure and two return.

The steering gearbox will have two seals, one for the input shaft from the steering column and the other for the output shaft. My guess is the output shaft is probably leaking if the leak is at the gearbox itself.

Here's the gearbox I bought to replace the gearbox on my 74 Argosy. According to Rockauto the 74 and 77 have the same gearbox.

When I replaced mine I removed it and took to the local autoparts store and they ordered a replacement. Since you're in the UK you might want to do some research to ensure you get the right one.

While replacing the gearbox be sure and replace the gearbox coupler. The thing to watch for when replacing the coupling is to make sure to match the spline count.

Be prepared to invent some new cuss words because getting access to the bolts holding the gearbox to the frame is almost impossible. Also be prepared to dismantle parts of the front grille to gain limited access.

Brad
Hi Brad,
Thanks for your reply and the info, we're really grateful. We're going to try and get to the box to either get it out or take photos. We are ready to get creative with cuss words
Old 04-24-2017, 03:09 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Thanks

Hi guys

We've got in touch with 'US Autoparts' here in the UK and they have traced a steering box in the US - they need our VIN number to check it's the right part.

We 'just' need to get to our box out to look at it and maybe take a photo to be sure.

Thanks for your help and the links Brad, we'll get there, it's just a bit more complicated when you're 3,000 miles away from where all the parts are 😆

We're mighty grateful to you all and the man who invented the internet!

Cheers, Chris and Beverly