Old 04-30-2019, 05:56 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Resealing sliding windows

I am in the process of re-sealing the sliding windows on my 77. Of course the first window I start with is giving me a hard time. The issue that I am coming up against is that the glass does not match curve of the frame. With new rubber fuzzy installed it will not shut all the way. I decided to remove the vertical section and low and behold it shuts fully and properly.
Have others come across this issue, and what was the solution?

cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:52 PM   #2
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
If you look on Peanuts thread, you will see the rubber fuzzy channel doesnít work for Argosy cockpit sliders. Ernie replaced Peanuts with the rubber type, and then had to replace again with the original metal reinforced version.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:44 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yeah, we fought the rubber style Schlegel on Peanut's windows and after discussions with Peter switched back to the steel backed Schlegel.

The difference between the Argosy windows and Classic windows is on an Argosy the window pane actually slides on the bottom of the Schlegel. So if the fit isn't absolutely perfect between the glass, Schlegel and frame then the rubber wants to slip and slide around. On a Classic window the pane is surrounded by an aluminum frame and actually slides on plastic tracks and the Schlegel is only used to seal the sides of the glass. There is no pressure on the bottom of the Schlegel that would cause it to slide.

Keep in mind, the cockpit windows are the same for Argosy and Classic and we found that on the poor fitting passenger side cockpit window only the steel Schlegel would work. However on the drivers side either type would work because the fit of the glass in the frame seems to be much better on the drivers side.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Thanks, I actually ordered 10í of that style Sunday as thatís what my screens slide in. Iíll give that a shot and see how it goes.
Old 05-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Resealing sliding windows

Mmm, still wonít shut fully with different fuzzy. First photo no vertical fuzzy, shuts nicely and fully from inside. Second photo added vertical section and itís a bear to shut and wonít latch.
It does slide better on the new fuzzy though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0364.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	339552
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0366.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	251.4 KB
ID:	339553

After looking at all of the other windows I noticed none of them are fully latched. Am I overthinking this?
Old 05-04-2019, 03:32 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
So I've decided these windows never shut what I would call fully from the factory. After looking at all of the other windows and looking at scratch marks on the lock assemblies this is as good as it gets.
Now my second thought is about adding drain holes in the fuzzy so water does not collect.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Second Thought

On my 77 Argosy in regards to the fuzzy originally installed at the factory, there were slots drilled or cut in the bottom of the fuzzy for water drainage. The slots aligned with the “weep” holes in the exterior window frame.

With the glass removed during installation of the fuzzy be sure to clean out the slot below the fuzzy to enable water to drain below the fuzzy and out the weep slots in the exterior window frame. Insects like to nest in the slot below the fuzzy and impede water drainage.
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 02:05 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
On my 77 Argosy in regards to the fuzzy originally installed at the factory, there were slots drilled or cut in the bottom of the fuzzy for water drainage. The slots aligned with the ďweepĒ holes in the exterior window frame.

With the glass removed during installation of the fuzzy be sure to clean out the slot below the fuzzy to enable water to drain below the fuzzy and out the weep slots in the exterior window frame. Insects like to nest in the slot below the fuzzy and impede water drainage.

Did your windows have 2 separate types of fuzzy? In mine Iíve noticed that the all rubber fuzzy is on the bottom, with slots cut out above the weep holes, then the metal backed fuzzy around the remainder of the window.
Not sure if these have been replaced during its life.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
I purchased my 77 Argosy in 1978. I assume that the fuzzy was the original fuzzy installed at the factory. I have had to replace the fuzzy several times over the years.
The original fuzzy was metal backed all of the way around. I have tried other fuzzies over the years unsuccessfully. I am back to the original metal backed fuzzy which works the best for me.
Last week I drove to Austin TX in my 77 and encountered heavy rains in Waco TX with local flash flooding - no leaks. I usually lubricate the fuzzy with a silicon spray after re-installing the glass.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:13 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Back for yaílls wisdoms. Iíve resealed all of my sliding windows yet still dealing with water intrusion. It seems to be from the channel soaking it up and overflowing. Iíve seen where others have installed drain tubes. Is that about my only solution?
Old Yesterday, 09:39 AM   #11

1976 Argosy 20
1977 28' Argosy 28
Napa , California
Metal backed fuzzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
I purchased my 77 Argosy in 1978. I assume that the fuzzy was the original fuzzy installed at the factory. I have had to replace the fuzzy several times over the years.
The original fuzzy was metal backed all of the way around. I have tried other fuzzies over the years unsuccessfully. I am back to the original metal backed fuzzy which works the best for me.
Last week I drove to Austin TX in my 77 and encountered heavy rains in Waco TX with local flash flooding - no leaks. I usually lubricate the fuzzy with a silicon spray after re-installing the glass.

Hello,
May i ask where you purchased your metal backed fuzzy? Did you use it as replacements on all the sliding windows?
Thank you!!
ShandyLane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Metal Backed Fuzzy Schlegle

Over the years I tried from several local sources. However the source that always work as well as the original factory installed Schlegle was purchased from Inland RV in California. At the present there are probably other sources available. The Schlegle is used not only for the sliding glass but also the sliding screens on the side windows (not including the cockpit sliders). As Brad has mentioned, the passenger side cockpit window has never fit quite properly and when closed does not really latch properly. It was that way when I purchased my 77 Argosy one year old. The rest of the windows do slide so that the latches work on all of the other windows when the Schlegle is properly fitted in the track and well lubricated with silicon spray.

To keep water from leaking along the lower track, I always cut drain slots in the bottom Schlegle and make sure the slot and weep holes are clean of debris and wasp nests. When all of that is proper, I have never had water leakage problems.