Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2007, 06:53 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Pulling the engine without tranmission

I've finally reached the point where I can now attempt to pull the 350 engine out of our 74' Argosy MH. The question is do I have to pull the tranmission before pulling the engine or can I leave the tranmission in place (supported in front) and just pull the engine out the front? Off hand I can't see any advantage to dropping the tranmission just to pull the engine. It would seem that since the engine has to move straight forward to be removed then there shouldn't be any interference issues with the tranmission still in place.

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Brad --having done it both ways i prefer to pull trany first then engine---it never fails that you'll need to move the vehicle while the engine is out that makes holding the trans up difficult. besides that its a good time to replace frt and rear trans seals---i always found this easier if the trans was out---pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 06:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Brad --having done it both ways i prefer to pull trany first then engine---it never fails that you'll need to move the vehicle while the engine is out that makes holding the trans up difficult. besides that its a good time to replace frt and rear trans seals---i always found this easier if the trans was out---pieman
Mike, I will be putting the motorhome up on jack stands for the duration. Its in our shop and it won't be moved until the engine is running again. I also forgot to mention the transmission has just undergone a fresh rebuilt by the PO.

With your comments in mind and the fact that I won't be moving the MH I'm going to opt for leaving the transmission in place and pull just the engine.

I appreciate the info.......let the fun begin
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 01-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Just an update. We pulled the 350 engine out of the Argosy this evening. Came out very easily. The previous owner had just installed the motor and the front end of the motorhome was still removed which made the job a lot easier. I bought one of those engine lift plates that bolt to the intake manifold in place of the carburetor. Worked very well.

To pull the engine I removed the starter, unbolted the engine from the transmission and supported the transmission. I left the heads, intake manifold, power steering pump, exhaust manifolds, alternator, fuel pump and dipstick in place on the engine and they posed no real problems during the removal process. I'm sure I won't be able to do that when putting the 454 in.

I know it will fit because the motorhome originally came with one . Even so I might have to lift the front of the motorhome up a little more to make the angles work.

Brad
Old 01-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Brad, now that you have it all ripped apart...I try to remove the transmission before removing the engine, as it will be easier to place the engine where it belongs, and mount the transmission to the engine, rather than the other way around. It's only a couple more bolts, and a crossmember, along with the driveshaft.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Brad, now that you have it all ripped apart...I try to remove the transmission before removing the engine, as it will be easier to place the engine where it belongs, and mount the transmission to the engine, rather than the other way around. It's only a couple more bolts, and a crossmember, along with the driveshaft.
This is the first time for me to be pulling and reinstalling a Chevy V8. All my other motor experience has been with Triumph sports cars, diesel tractors & crawlers and old dodge pickups.

I had hoped to leave the transmission in place but from what you're saying it might be easier to remove it. I'm assuming the 454 is going to be a much tighter fit which might mean the benefits for removing the transmission out way the extra time involved.

Decisions decisions.....!

Thanks,

Brad