Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by Warbs
Your new mirrors and rims are great! Are the rims 19.5? You're going to have an awesome moho when it's finished.
No, they're 16's. . .Got 'em from Southwest Wheel in TX.

TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by TheGanzman
...looks like I'll be able to eliminate the upper two bands of rub strips...
I'm at about the same point with my '74 24' Argosy, and I hope to get the exterior finished this winter. I'd love to polish mine, but there are a lot of warts left behind when the paint and trim come off.

What will you do about the holes left behind by rub strip rivets and mirror mounting screws? I can see bondoing them if I paint the body, but how the heck do you hide them if you polish?

mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member
All holes left behind will be filled by appropriate rivets; in the case of LARGE holes (like the one left behind by the factory radio antenna) a pretty round polished aluminum "patch" will be riveted into place. . .
Old 11-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master
1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country
Those Ramcos are nice. I got the electric black ones but I really thought hard about the aluminum because they go great with the coach. However, since they were more $$$ and my coach is used for stuff with my boys and we treat it as an armored transport vehicle rather than a showcar, the extra expense was unwarranted. If I was doing what you are, then those are a perfect match! By the way, what exhaust system do you have. I just had to take out my big block Thorley headers and replace with smog Thorleys (california), and I've got the non smog Thorleys available. They lead to nice sounding Flowmaster 70s, with SS tips out front of the rear wheels on the driver side . Did you lower the MH from 19.5 to 16? Be careful of hitting the sewer outlet in driveways...I broke mine.
I feel your excitement in this project and I believe yours will be one of the nicest coaches out there when its done. Great investment too.
1992 Airstream 300LE, rear queen, Banks Power!
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member
Exhaust. . .

Thanks for the kudos on the mirrors! They work great (Flat over convex glass) but I'm not for sure yet whether they're maybe a bit too "big" visually on that small a coach. . .

I had the exhaust system done when I was back East. It's custom (Hand bent) using the stock iron exhaust mannies, 2.5" pipes, no H pipe (Not enough room on that 20 footer!), and Flowmaster 50's. The 50's were all the guy had "in stock", so we had to go with 'em; they're a bit too loud for my tastes, so I'll be swapping out to some 70's here shortly.

Due to the age of the chassis, I had NO trouble getting it smogged. Apparently all they require through '77 on that GVW chassis is a PCV valve (For non-California sold vehicles) - she passed first time! I think they went to EGR in '78, for the record. . .
Old 11-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member
Exhaust. . .

Regarding the exhaust system, it's the stock iron exhaust manifolds into 2.5" (No H pipe - no room underneath on a 20 footer!) through Flowmaster 50's (Soon to be switched to 70's - the guy didn't have them in stock). Coach has plenty of power!

Regarding CA smog - in '77 for this sized GVW motorhome, the only requirement was a PCV valve - EGR's came about in '78. She passed first time through!

The wheel/tire change is actually the same profile - ~31.07" tire diameter. Speedo is virtually exact. I can't recommend this wheel/tire combo enough!

Sorry about the seemingly repetitive replies above, I was having trouble posting replies and having them "take" - a quick visit to the Forum Support & How To's gave me my answer! Hey, I didn't have seven years of college f'er nuthin'!!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master
1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Your rig is coming along very nicely. I'll be very interested to hear your experience if you do go with the Quadzilla" transmission and swap for the Sallee Chevrolet "X-treme 454" RV engine.

Where did you get the Ramco mirrors?
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.
If you want to be happy, practice compassion - The Dalai Lama

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member
Week Two @ The Polishing Guru

Just got back from my weekly "visitation", and added a few more photos to the above link, for those that are interested:

Here's a "teaser":

As an update, I've decided after lengthy consideration to go back with the rubstrips, though I think I'll leave 'em "blank" (no center plastic strips). He'll polish 'em out and reattach 'em with Olympic rivets. My reasoning is that having the rubstrips there breaks up the vertical line(s) of the coach, which I think the eye "needs" on a shiny vehicle like this. Also, since the MH's are taller than the trailers, it especially needs a contrasting break.

Regarding the mirrors, I got 'em directly from Ramco - here's the website:
They're the "6000 Series MH" in polished aluminum, w/flat upper/convex lower mirrors - ~$400 per pair. For some reason, the website is not working right this minute. . .
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member
2006 Update. . .

Hey Kids - sorry it's been so long since I've "weighed in"; between the holidays and LOTS of out of town visitors and housepests - I mean houseGUESTS - I have been remiss. Went out to Riverside again yesterday to The Polishing Guru. They've been hard at work on "The Ugly Duckling", which I have to say is no longer ugly!

Barry was VERY pleased with the condition of the aluminum on this Argosy, upon stripping - NO "substandard" panels, that we sometimes hear about being used on these Argosys. Only 1-2 minor dents to worry about - nice straight aluminum prevails! The above shot represents the "first cut" on the polishing - two more polishing "cuts" to go, then the Evershield clearcoat! Galvanized encaps were in pretty good shape, we're replacing ALL the "bumper extensions" or ABS Valance Panels with beautiful smooth Gelcoated fiberglass - no more busted up, ripply ABS! He's also sandblasting all the metal framework behind the valance panels too. He should be finished in the next 30 days - then I'll get all the coach systems up and working and start enjoying it for awhile, before I dig into the interior restoration. For some additional polishing scans, click on this link:
Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
as Chico would say " lookin' good"!
1966 Overlander
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #39
1977 28' argosy moho
scarborough , ontario
End Caps

Hey Ganzman, you're lookin good! Whats the plan for the endcaps?
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:47 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member
Originally Posted by Warbs
Hey Ganzman, you're lookin good! Whats the plan for the endcaps?
Endcaps will be a bright silver; lower beltline will be Airstream Charcoal. . .
Old 02-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #41
1 Rivet Member
1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
green cove spr , Florida
tires and wheels

I will be looking for 16" wheels and tires for my '79 24' moho. Yours look good, where did you get them??
dye904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #42
Rivet Master
1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Argosy 20'

I need to replace the road side "Banana Wrap" that is the lower rear A/B plastic wrapa around piece that is near the bumper. Has anyone replaced these. I talked to the Ganzman, he has not got his on yet???
Any Pics, anyone.........?

'74 Overlander (T-O-Bee)
'46 Spartan Manor (Rosie)
'54 Cruiser (Bogart)
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote