Old 10-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Update!

Well, we just made it back in with the little "ugly duckling" last night - 2900 miles with absolutely NO problems whatsoever! We did do extensive "preflight" work, including brake replacement, radiator removal/repair, belts/hoses, tuneup, complete exhaust, new Bilsteins including steering damper, wheels and tires, Ramco mirrors, alignment, oil/filter, AT fluid/filter, and RE gear lube change. Other than a slight but not unexpected "big block thirst" for oil - (~1 quart/800 miles), and a BIG but not unexpected thirst for regular unleaded fuel (I think we averaged ~8.5 mpg for the entire trip), she ran like a top at 65-70 mph, without a hitch. . .

Let the "restification" begin!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:30 PM   #16
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
Wow - congradulations on taking delivery. Sounds like a winner. Glad to hear you did so much prep work to get her home safely.

On the oil, mine does that too, they all do. Roughly 1 qt per 1000 miles. So you are in the zone. Keep us posted on your progress.

swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:04 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Mine also on the oil thing. You were prepared and that made the trip go so smoothly. Having had many smooth ones myself now, I know the prep time is worth it.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 11:26 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Rockport , Texas
77 Argosy MH Cummins Diesel

I will be following your Restoration project closely because I too am in the process of restoring to top notch shape my 77 24" Argosy. I found a good site on-line for the tambour doors and wood flooring: http://www.tapeease.com/veneer1.htm
In the the engine compartment I am going a little different route. I have just purchased a new 2005 Cummins Turbo diesel (325HP - 610 ft lb torque) with the Dodge 48RE four speed overdrive transmission, all accessories and ECU, to replace my 454. If I can get all the electronics working correctly, I will then put in a two tank Diesel/Waste Vegetable Oil fuel system in it.
Buy the way I originally planned on putting a Peninsular diesel with an Allison 5 speed automatic transmission in the MH. I purchased the Allison 1000 with lockup converter, out of a 2003 GMC with 15,000 miles on it. It is set up for a four-wheel drive transfer case but can be easily converted for two wheel drive and I have the technical manual to show how. It will fit on your 454 and you can purchase a standalone electronic controller to operate it from Powertrain Control Solutions They also have an standalone controller for other GM electronic transmissions.
I will be selling the Allison for $2,000, the controller runs $800 and the conversion to 2WD should be about $400. This is really the best transmission made today but unfortunately it will not fit on my Cummins engine. If you are interested I can send you some pics. I cannot guarantee its operational ability because I have never used it. The shop I bought it from said it worked perfectly with no error codes. It looks brand new, but a new one runs over $6,000.
I can email you pics if your interested. If not it will go on Ebay.
I will try to take pictures and keep folks informed on my project as it progresses along.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
we have a member who did the Cummins install in his motrhome awhile back. Sounds like a great way to go if you can handle the cost.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 11-16-2005, 10:50 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1979 30' Argosy
Havelock , where we park it
one sighted

Hello everyone, Just coming home (Tampa for the winter) and saw a 20' ? argosy motorhome in a storage facitility.. going back to try and take some pics .. it needs some tlc..Annie
WBCCI 10103
"Happiness is a warm Puppy" Charles Schulz
Happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:57 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
we have a member who did the Cummins install in his motrhome awhile back. Sounds like a great way to go if you can handle the cost.
I DETEST all things diesel! Hate the smell, hate the sound, hate the 58 known carcinogens identified in diesel exhaust. . .

As an update, we've been jamming away on this thing since it's return - lots and lots of little jobs, like replacing the water pump (10 hours!), all the window channels/weatherstripping, and chasing down some oil leaks. It goes off today to Barry The Polishing Guru in Riverside, then back to me where we'll start in gutting/redoing the interior. May install the 4 speed 4L80E "Quadzilla" transmission in early Spring; VERY tempted to pull the engine and swap for the Sallee Chevrolet "X-treme 454" RV engine at that time too - this one's running so good, though. I'd love to find inside storage for this thing close to Dana Point, CA - the cost of such is almost PROHIBITIVE here, however! We've been doing all our work as "day projects" in the driveway of my home in a gated community - I keep waiting for one of the neighbors to install a burning cross in our front yard! Can't keep doing this; at a minimum, I'm gonna have to get offsite storage somewhere close, where they allow you to work on the vehicle too. Sure do miss my big garage and full shop back East!
Old 11-16-2005, 01:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sounds like an awesome project ...we all look forward to seeing the final product.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 11-19-2005, 11:12 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Rockport , Texas
Modern Diesel Engines

I agree that petroleum diesel is nasty stuff. Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine to run on vegetable oil but the technology was hijacked by the petroleum industry. WVO is for the most part free for the taking from most restaurants and the initial cost of the two tank system will be quickly paid for in fuel cost savings. WVO burns clean with almost no pollution and your exhaust smells like a french fry or Krispy Kreme donut. Bio diesel also burns very clean and will help alleviate our dependence on foreign suppliers of oil. The diesel engine will last anywhere from 350,000 to 1,000,000 miles before rebuild, while giving you 20+ miles to the gallon, with the ability to pull about anything you want with the engine's 600+ ft lbs of torque. A modified 454 in no way can compete with a modern electronic turbo diesel in mechanical simplicity, efficiency, performance or durability, even running petroleum diesel. The Sallee RV engine is supposed to be a good engine, but with a carburetor you will probably max out at 10-12 MPG even with an overdrive tyranny (70mph). Pull anything and the MPGs go south in a hurry. If you spend the coin on a fuel injection system to give you a couple of more MPGs, then your spending about the same amount as converting to diesel (low mileage salvage). Go down to your local Dodge dealer and listen to a new diesel. Not much louder than a gasser. Nevertheless to each his own! That's what's great about getting a classic MH like the Argosy. Modify it the way you want, and still come out way ahead compared to purchasing new and suffering through all those payments and depreciation. The only possible downside (not for me), is that it takes you longer to travel anywhere because everyone wants to talk to you about your classic MH. I'll step down off my soap box now.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You are right about the advantages of having the Classic Moho. The area it lacks most for me is in storage. Its always a challenge to stow certain items.
Other than that issue though, the ride is really good, the overall fit and quality is superior to many newer coaches, and the cost of ownership can be really reasonable when you factor in resale values which have seemed to be on the upside for some time now.
Its getting someone to part with theirs that makes them always a challenge to find.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Old 11-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Strip/Polish. . .

All right - just got back from my first visit to Riverside, with photos to share! It's been at The Polishing Guru's for a week, and he's already got it half stripped. So far, the aluminum is in EXCELLENT shape, putting to rest the myth (at least on THIS one) that Argosys got the substandard aluminum. It's "lapped" right too - looks like I'll be able to eliminate the upper two bands of rub strips. I was able to score a set of taillight assemblies (Thanks Lynn & Mike!) from a '71 AS trailer, which will look MUCH better than that heinous plastic thing that was on there. While you're at it, check out those new Alcoa "Hot Shot" wheels, the aluminum Ramco mirrors, and that new Carrier low profile A/C unit. Here's a link to the photos - I'll be adding more on each weekly visit:
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showal...=3880&uuid=630
Old 11-23-2005, 10:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looking good!

It looks like your upper rear end cap is actually aluminum? Is that so?

I also like your rims, they set off the trailer nice. Looking forward to more pics!
Marc
Old 11-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
It looks like your upper rear end cap is actually aluminum? Is that so?

I also like your rims, they set off the trailer nice. Looking forward to more pics!
Marc
No, I'm sure those endcaps are galvanized steel. . .Thanks for the kudos on the wheels - I hope more of you guys go this route! I did all six this way, and eliminated over 100 pounds of ugly (rotational) fat!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:50 PM   #28
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
Great Work

Your new mirrors and rims are great! Are the rims 19.5? You're going to have an awesome moho when it's finished.