Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-16-2005, 09:57 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
we have a member who did the Cummins install in his motrhome awhile back. Sounds like a great way to go if you can handle the cost.
I DETEST all things diesel! Hate the smell, hate the sound, hate the 58 known carcinogens identified in diesel exhaust. . .

As an update, we've been jamming away on this thing since it's return - lots and lots of little jobs, like replacing the water pump (10 hours!), all the window channels/weatherstripping, and chasing down some oil leaks. It goes off today to Barry The Polishing Guru in Riverside, then back to me where we'll start in gutting/redoing the interior. May install the 4 speed 4L80E "Quadzilla" transmission in early Spring; VERY tempted to pull the engine and swap for the Sallee Chevrolet "X-treme 454" RV engine at that time too - this one's running so good, though. I'd love to find inside storage for this thing close to Dana Point, CA - the cost of such is almost PROHIBITIVE here, however! We've been doing all our work as "day projects" in the driveway of my home in a gated community - I keep waiting for one of the neighbors to install a burning cross in our front yard! Can't keep doing this; at a minimum, I'm gonna have to get offsite storage somewhere close, where they allow you to work on the vehicle too. Sure do miss my big garage and full shop back East!
TheGanzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 12:22 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
sounds like an awesome project ...we all look forward to seeing the final product.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 10:12 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Rockport , Texas
Modern Diesel Engines

I agree that petroleum diesel is nasty stuff. Rudolf Diesel invented the diesel engine to run on vegetable oil but the technology was hijacked by the petroleum industry. WVO is for the most part free for the taking from most restaurants and the initial cost of the two tank system will be quickly paid for in fuel cost savings. WVO burns clean with almost no pollution and your exhaust smells like a french fry or Krispy Kreme donut. Bio diesel also burns very clean and will help alleviate our dependence on foreign suppliers of oil. The diesel engine will last anywhere from 350,000 to 1,000,000 miles before rebuild, while giving you 20+ miles to the gallon, with the ability to pull about anything you want with the engine's 600+ ft lbs of torque. A modified 454 in no way can compete with a modern electronic turbo diesel in mechanical simplicity, efficiency, performance or durability, even running petroleum diesel. The Sallee RV engine is supposed to be a good engine, but with a carburetor you will probably max out at 10-12 MPG even with an overdrive tyranny (70mph). Pull anything and the MPGs go south in a hurry. If you spend the coin on a fuel injection system to give you a couple of more MPGs, then your spending about the same amount as converting to diesel (low mileage salvage). Go down to your local Dodge dealer and listen to a new diesel. Not much louder than a gasser. Nevertheless to each his own! That's what's great about getting a classic MH like the Argosy. Modify it the way you want, and still come out way ahead compared to purchasing new and suffering through all those payments and depreciation. The only possible downside (not for me), is that it takes you longer to travel anywhere because everyone wants to talk to you about your classic MH. I'll step down off my soap box now.
2tallpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 08:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
You are right about the advantages of having the Classic Moho. The area it lacks most for me is in storage. Its always a challenge to stow certain items.
Other than that issue though, the ride is really good, the overall fit and quality is superior to many newer coaches, and the cost of ownership can be really reasonable when you factor in resale values which have seemed to be on the upside for some time now.
Its getting someone to part with theirs that makes them always a challenge to find.
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 11-22-2005, 08:40 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

Strip/Polish. . .

All right - just got back from my first visit to Riverside, with photos to share! It's been at The Polishing Guru's for a week, and he's already got it half stripped. So far, the aluminum is in EXCELLENT shape, putting to rest the myth (at least on THIS one) that Argosys got the substandard aluminum. It's "lapped" right too - looks like I'll be able to eliminate the upper two bands of rub strips. I was able to score a set of taillight assemblies (Thanks Lynn & Mike!) from a '71 AS trailer, which will look MUCH better than that heinous plastic thing that was on there. While you're at it, check out those new Alcoa "Hot Shot" wheels, the aluminum Ramco mirrors, and that new Carrier low profile A/C unit. Here's a link to the photos - I'll be adding more on each weekly visit:
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showal...=3880&uuid=630
Old 11-23-2005, 09:01 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Looking good!

It looks like your upper rear end cap is actually aluminum? Is that so?

I also like your rims, they set off the trailer nice. Looking forward to more pics!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:32 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
It looks like your upper rear end cap is actually aluminum? Is that so?

I also like your rims, they set off the trailer nice. Looking forward to more pics!
Marc
No, I'm sure those endcaps are galvanized steel. . .Thanks for the kudos on the wheels - I hope more of you guys go this route! I did all six this way, and eliminated over 100 pounds of ugly (rotational) fat!
Old 11-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #28
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
Great Work

Your new mirrors and rims are great! Are the rims 19.5? You're going to have an awesome moho when it's finished.
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:49 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbs
Your new mirrors and rims are great! Are the rims 19.5? You're going to have an awesome moho when it's finished.
No, they're 16's. . .Got 'em from Southwest Wheel in TX.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:39 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGanzman
...looks like I'll be able to eliminate the upper two bands of rub strips...
I'm at about the same point with my '74 24' Argosy, and I hope to get the exterior finished this winter. I'd love to polish mine, but there are a lot of warts left behind when the paint and trim come off.

What will you do about the holes left behind by rub strip rivets and mirror mounting screws? I can see bondoing them if I paint the body, but how the heck do you hide them if you polish?

Bob
mcneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:11 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

All holes left behind will be filled by appropriate rivets; in the case of LARGE holes (like the one left behind by the factory radio antenna) a pretty round polished aluminum "patch" will be riveted into place. . .
Old 11-24-2005, 09:42 AM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Those Ramcos are nice. I got the electric black ones but I really thought hard about the aluminum because they go great with the coach. However, since they were more $$$ and my coach is used for stuff with my boys and we treat it as an armored transport vehicle rather than a showcar, the extra expense was unwarranted. If I was doing what you are, then those are a perfect match! By the way, what exhaust system do you have. I just had to take out my big block Thorley headers and replace with smog Thorleys (california), and I've got the non smog Thorleys available. They lead to nice sounding Flowmaster 70s, with SS tips out front of the rear wheels on the driver side . Did you lower the MH from 19.5 to 16? Be careful of hitting the sewer outlet in driveways...I broke mine.
I feel your excitement in this project and I believe yours will be one of the nicest coaches out there when its done. Great investment too.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:55 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

Exhaust. . .

Thanks for the kudos on the mirrors! They work great (Flat over convex glass) but I'm not for sure yet whether they're maybe a bit too "big" visually on that small a coach. . .

I had the exhaust system done when I was back East. It's custom (Hand bent) using the stock iron exhaust mannies, 2.5" pipes, no H pipe (Not enough room on that 20 footer!), and Flowmaster 50's. The 50's were all the guy had "in stock", so we had to go with 'em; they're a bit too loud for my tastes, so I'll be swapping out to some 70's here shortly.

Due to the age of the chassis, I had NO trouble getting it smogged. Apparently all they require through '77 on that GVW chassis is a PCV valve (For non-California sold vehicles) - she passed first time! I think they went to EGR in '78, for the record. . .
Old 11-24-2005, 06:29 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Exhaust. . .

Regarding the exhaust system, it's the stock iron exhaust manifolds into 2.5" (No H pipe - no room underneath on a 20 footer!) through Flowmaster 50's (Soon to be switched to 70's - the guy didn't have them in stock). Coach has plenty of power!

Regarding CA smog - in '77 for this sized GVW motorhome, the only requirement was a PCV valve - EGR's came about in '78. She passed first time through!

The wheel/tire change is actually the same profile - ~31.07" tire diameter. Speedo is virtually exact. I can't recommend this wheel/tire combo enough!

Sorry about the seemingly repetitive replies above, I was having trouble posting replies and having them "take" - a quick visit to the Forum Support & How To's gave me my answer! Hey, I didn't have seven years of college f'er nuthin'!!
Old 11-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Ganzman,
Your rig is coming along very nicely. I'll be very interested to hear your experience if you do go with the Quadzilla" transmission and swap for the Sallee Chevrolet "X-treme 454" RV engine.

Where did you get the Ramco mirrors?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 03:32 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Week Two @ The Polishing Guru

Just got back from my weekly "visitation", and added a few more photos to the above link, for those that are interested:
http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showal...=3880&uuid=630

Here's a "teaser":

As an update, I've decided after lengthy consideration to go back with the rubstrips, though I think I'll leave 'em "blank" (no center plastic strips). He'll polish 'em out and reattach 'em with Olympic rivets. My reasoning is that having the rubstrips there breaks up the vertical line(s) of the coach, which I think the eye "needs" on a shiny vehicle like this. Also, since the MH's are taller than the trailers, it especially needs a contrasting break.

Regarding the mirrors, I got 'em directly from Ramco - here's the website:
http://www.ramco-eng.com/
They're the "6000 Series MH" in polished aluminum, w/flat upper/convex lower mirrors - ~$400 per pair. For some reason, the website is not working right this minute. . .
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2006 Update. . .

Hey Kids - sorry it's been so long since I've "weighed in"; between the holidays and LOTS of out of town visitors and housepests - I mean houseGUESTS - I have been remiss. Went out to Riverside again yesterday to The Polishing Guru. They've been hard at work on "The Ugly Duckling", which I have to say is no longer ugly!

Barry was VERY pleased with the condition of the aluminum on this Argosy, upon stripping - NO "substandard" panels, that we sometimes hear about being used on these Argosys. Only 1-2 minor dents to worry about - nice straight aluminum prevails! The above shot represents the "first cut" on the polishing - two more polishing "cuts" to go, then the Evershield clearcoat! Galvanized encaps were in pretty good shape, we're replacing ALL the "bumper extensions" or ABS Valance Panels with beautiful smooth Gelcoated fiberglass - no more busted up, ripply ABS! He's also sandblasting all the metal framework behind the valance panels too. He should be finished in the next 30 days - then I'll get all the coach systems up and working and start enjoying it for awhile, before I dig into the interior restoration. For some additional polishing scans, click on this link: http://www.lilypix.com/photos/showal...d=630&aid=3880
Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
as Chico would say " lookin' good"!
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:13 PM   #39
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
End Caps

Hey Ganzman, you're lookin good! Whats the plan for the endcaps?
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:47 PM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbs
Hey Ganzman, you're lookin good! Whats the plan for the endcaps?
Endcaps will be a bright silver; lower beltline will be Airstream Charcoal. . .