Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Picking Up Our First Argosy Motorhome

I've been lurking on the forums for a long time, soaking up as much Airstream/Argosy information as I can find. I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts and have been stunned by the staggering amount of information that is available on these forums.

Well, we lost our minds and purchased a 1978 Argosy 28 Motorhome! We have been spending the last two weeks in a countdown while we tie up all the loose ends. The PO seems to have taken very good care of the rig and HOPEFULLY our mishaps will be very minimal. We are planning on making the drive from Charleston to Atlanta with a two day stop in Savannah at Skidaway Island State Park. Not the most direct route, but the stop is designed to give us a chance to see how our new baby camps and get a better idea of what we need to furnish and fix her. I have gathered all the addresses for Camping World along the way and hope this is an event free trip. I know I am more than in over my head, but that is half the fun! We are in our mid-thirties and you would be amazed at how many people dream of doing some RV'ing.

Hopefully this will be the first of many posts and I will put up some pictures as soon as we get back from our trip. Here is one exterior shot for anyone that may be interested if I can figure out how to post a photo...

todbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:35 PM   #2

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Congrats, it looks like a nice rig! You'll find there's a lot of us young'ns on the forums. We were in our mid-30s when we bought our trailer 6 years ago. Haven't regretted it yet! But we do get a bit of joshing from our friends who accuse us of hangin with the grey-hairs They're just jealous!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:38 PM   #3
Site Team
1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Nice looking Motor Home. Best of luck with it!

Spend as much time with the current owner as you can and make sure you know how to operate all of the appliances and do all of the basic functions. If you can, walk through hooking up at a camp site and getting ready for the road. Take notes and have fun!

WBCCI President 2016-2017
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
I will get as much info as possible. I am a total newbie so I need a serious 101 class from the PO. He seems like a very nice gentleman, and I expect he will be more than happy to share all of his knowledge with us. Now lets hope we make it home to Atlanta in one piece and as sane as when we left (which would be not very sane)!!!! More importantly, I hope the AC works just as was advertised due to the 92 degree temps we will have in Savannah. Thanks again...
Old 05-09-2009, 07:39 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member
1976 28' Argosy 28
Huntley , Illinois
That is a nice one! I am 36 and just bought my first and only Argosy last weekend. The family that I bought it from are just too nice and I am greatful that they are. Your windows look like they are in good shape. I have to replace my window gasgets, skylight fans, and some of the floor before I take her on the long haul. I bought a 76 28footer.I hope to have her completed completly in about 4 years. But will take her out to get the feel. I named mine Bad Wolf!!! Have you named yours?
ardeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:20 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Well, we are back and all in one piece. We arrived in Charleston around noon on Saturday and the PO agreed to pick us up at the airport. He seemed like a nice fellow. We hurried off to get the bags and then piled into his Mini Cooper to go to the new beast. Well, much to my satisfaction there was indeed an Argosy 28 waiting for us! I'll keep it brief, but suffice it to say that the PO painted a rosy picture of the Argosy's upkeep in his ad. This is not to say that it was in poor condition, but the bits about being stored covered and driven once a week were absolutely false. Also, all the window seals need to be replaced, despite claims of the opposite. I was so discouraged by his lies that I wanted to get in the Moho and get away from him as fast as that baby would drive. And that is exactly what we did!!! We headed down to Savannah for two bumpy nights. We drove home to Atlanta on Monday and had a great drive. No problems getting up to speed and keeping it there. The temp runs around 200-220, but that seems to be pretty normal. That 454 engine is a BEAST! When we drove her up to the mechanics last night i was impressed with how she drive on city streets. We live very close to the center of Atlanta and have to navigate out of the city to get to an RV rapair shop. I was nervous about that drive, but she just started right up and pulled right along. Faster than I thought she would be.

Here is the report card so far:
- Engine and tranny feel like they are in impeccable shape. She starts up easily and drives without a fuss. There is no smoke during any time of operation.
- We did notice a gas/exhaust odor in the cabin after driving for a while and think this could easily be a failed fuel hose given the fact that it has sat for a couple of years. I'm no mechanic, but I am deciding to be optimistic. But, I will deal with it if it turns out to be bad news.
- Brakes need some help, they replaced the lines, but did not bleed them properly so they need further refinement.
- Interior condition is amazing. We even found the mixer and knife sharpener for the nutone counter top blender.
- Refrigerator started to work (after some time just waiting for something to happen), but think it needs some help.
- We sprung a leak near the fresh water tank that really dampened the mood on Sunday morning! We will let the shop fix that for us ASAP.
- Sewer valves were stuck OPEN when I tried to do a practice dump (yuck). Seemed to get them working again after yanking them open and closed a few times. By the way new hoses need Thetford to Valterra adapters to work. Do not find this out while dumping with valves stuck open then trying in vain to attach a hose that will not fit!!!
- Electricity seems solid, but we need to replace some bulbs and make sure all the connections are tight.
- There was some damage to the pan near the sewer drain. Seems to only be cosmetic.

So now she is at the mechanics getting a thorough inspection and a list of repairs and the related costs (I hope its a short list). I found a great mechanic called Southland in Buford, GA that I hope will be a good fit for us. I feel very good about the engine condition and hope I am right with that feeling. If the thorough run through comes back with a good bill of health I know we can work though all the other issues. Resealing the windows will suck, but it will be good to have it done and I know I can handle that project. I've order a new Keeler tumbler for the door lock assembly and a sewer hose adapter so that I can get those two things checked off the list right away. I pulled the carpet in the bedroom after the leak and look forward to installing FLOR tiles as soon as we get it back. We hope to get it back with any pressing issues fixed in time to meet some friends at a campground for Memorial day weekend in North Carolina.

I will keep you all posted when I get more information. I am very excited to get out and do some camping!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
I forgot to mention that he had ALL of the manuals and operator book and any related receipts through the past 8+ years. This made me very happy. Needless to say we spent the weekend devouring the book and laughing at quite a few of the pictures. Now that was definitely a product of the 70's!
Old 05-16-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master
1990 25' Airstream 250
Bluffton , South Carolina
Thumbs up Congratulations

Sounds and looks like you got a good unit. I have certainly enjoyed mine.

Tires and brakes are most important and should be kept in top shape.

Happy camping!!
Pop Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 06:19 AM   #9
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
From my screen name, you can tell that we had an '85 325 moho for several years, and loved it. I second the comment about the brakes and tires. They're huge (both) and expensive to repair and replace, BUT... the results of the brakes failing or having a blowout on an Airstream moho are FAR more expensive. Replace the tires every five years regardless of mileage. Running them much after that is begging for a sidewall failure, and a tire blowout on one of these coaches will take a huge chunk of coach wall with it when it goes. The sidewalls deteriorate from UV radiation just sitting around.

I'd say the PO did a pretty good job overall of describing the coach even if he may have stretched it just a little. It sounds like you got a really nice one!

Congrats and keep us posted on your progress!

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member
1978 28' Argosy 28
Atlanta , Georgia
Well, we got the full report back from the shop and we are pretty pleased overall! The folks at Southland Motorhome Center, particularly Matt, have been great. We had a water leak and Matt was unable to locate it. Rather than just calling it a phantom leak, they kept looking until they found it. Turns our the leak is coming from the fresh water fill area, not from filling, but from rain and or AC condenstation running past the fill cover area. So here is what we are going to have fixed to make sure she is as good as new;

1. Seal around the area of the leak. They want to take the wardrobe area cabinets out to get to the leak, but we are going to try sealing from the outside first and see if that does the trick.
2. Vent stack above the bathroom needs to be replaced
3. 30 amp wire has a short at the plug, rewire the plug. This explains why the refer was having issues running on electric.
4. Replace Brake Master Cylinder. The most expensive repair, but one of the most important.
5. Furnace motor will be replaced, it squeals like a pig! (I said wait until we need it, but the other half says just get it all done now!)
6. Replace fuel lines to/from the tank. They will bring the fuel tank down and confrim exactly what lines need replacing. He recomends using fuel injector lines rather than standard lines as they last longer. They say its not totally necessary to do now, but I cannot stand that fuel smell and would feel better knowing its done.
7. Sigh, she needs new tires! This is THE most expensive replacement, but as many have noted, cannot be ignored.

So, I think its a pretty short list! They said the engine, tranny, LP system, interior plumbing and most other parts are in great shape and will do even better now that she will get some use again. I feel pretty good about it! Now lets hope she is all done by this weekend so we can meet our friends in Murphy, NC at Crawford's Campground.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:15 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Woo Hoo! Way to go. I love AS TT But went wild when I found out about classic MHs. Enjoy yours. It's like your first car, you learn how to fix as you go. Don't be afraid to search or ask questions here.

"Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." Mark Twain

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote