Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-28-2018, 02:20 PM   #757
2 Rivet Member
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Georgetown , Texas
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 27
Thanks. Sounds like my tank. I can feel the bolts but cannot get a wrench or socket on any of them. For whatever reason, only 3 of the 4 ears have bolts. Our local mobile RV mechanic came over to help me and couldn’t get to them either. Will try another place where we can get it up on a lift and see what happens.
__________________

mirobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:00 AM   #758
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 951
Images: 5
Peanut lives on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Actually this discussion has triggered my curiosity and leads to a Peanut specific question. In Europe autogas conversions of American V8 (or any other gas-guzzler) are quiet common. When they do so, they install a propane tank in place of the gas tank (sometimes keeping a small, maybe 1 gallon, gas tank for starting). However they install a bayonet filler, and high pressure hose connection to the tank. What is stopping the original ACME filler being removed from our propane tanks and replaced with a high pressure connection to a remote filler? (http://www.lpgshop.co.uk/lpg-filling-points/)



These are available with the local connection standard (for example ACME) but removes the need to crawl around the lower compartments to hook up?


I think perfectly achievable.

Full Euro conversions usually replace the stock tank and replace with a much larger tank for feeding the Impco kit. I am no expert, but I believe you can tee off that for an external feed as well.

In terms of your needs, I canít see why you couldnít have a feed to your gas supply providing you can isolate it.

I know someone who has the conversion if you need to know the facts. I think I have some photos of his set up which has two tanks. I also know of a converter with a good rep, although LAS will offer this service at a price...I have a feeling that you canít get the Manchester tanks in Europe. I think they used to offer some kind of strapped on tank, which I didnít like the sound of.


BTW - GPL was circa 65c on the continent with standard gas running at 1.41 Euros....a big difference. I just clocked up 3000 miles. I will do the conversion this year if I can rustle up the cash.

See you at the footie soon!
All best
Nick
__________________

Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #759
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
I think perfectly achievable.

Full Euro conversions usually replace the stock tank and replace with a much larger tank for feeding the Impco kit. I am no expert, but I believe you can tee off that for an external feed as well.

In terms of your needs, I canít see why you couldnít have a feed to your gas supply providing you can isolate it.

I know someone who has the conversion if you need to know the facts. I think I have some photos of his set up which has two tanks. I also know of a converter with a good rep, although LAS will offer this service at a price...I have a feeling that you canít get the Manchester tanks in Europe. I think they used to offer some kind of strapped on tank, which I didnít like the sound of.


BTW - GPL was circa 65c on the continent with standard gas running at 1.41 Euros....a big difference. I just clocked up 3000 miles. I will do the conversion this year if I can rustle up the cash.

See you at the footie soon!
All best
Nick
By my calculations that would have saved you something like $750 on this trip alone!

I am only thinking of using the remote filler on the current propane tank on Peanut (as you have to got under the bumper to refill), to go the whole hog would also require the generator to switch to propane as well and I am not sure Peanuts 40 year old Onan would take it!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:14 AM   #760
Rivet Master
 
Boom Sounds's Avatar

 
1991 25' Airstream 250
Oxford , Oxfordshire
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 951
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
By my calculations that would have saved you something like $750 on this trip alone!

I am only thinking of using the remote filler on the current propane tank on Peanut (as you have to got under the bumper to refill), to go the whole hog would also require the generator to switch to propane as well and I am not sure Peanuts 40 year old Onan would take it!
Out of interest, why would you need to switch out the generator? I assumed I could leave mine on petrol (gas)
Boom Sounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 06:31 AM   #761
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Sounds View Post
Out of interest, why would you need to switch out the generator? I assumed I could leave mine on petrol (gas)
Only because the petrol tank would be removed to make way for the new propane tank, they then typically install (maybe 1 gallon) tank for starting and emergencies. If you are keeping your gas tank then there is no need at all.

Bella would actually be easier to switch as the Honda generator is not auto-start, and can be switched to dual fuel connected to the current propane tank when used. So I would just have to remove the current fuel tank (which I am going to do during the winter as the sender is running backwards/not at full range) and replace with a cylinder tank. Biggest challenge would be finding somewhere to mount the small petrol tank.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #762
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,381
The first pass of coarse polishing is just about complete. Just need to do the left rear lower quarter and the rear center panel. The center panel should be relatively easy as it's a new panel. I'm sure the left rear quarter will provide for it's own challenges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_100729.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	321428Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_100246.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	243.6 KB
ID:	321429

Ernie plans to have another go at the right rear corner and the passenger side up to the door. He said he's learned a lot as he went and would like to do some additional work on the passenger side before going to the next stage of polishing.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:53 PM   #763
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,544
The difference between the driver and passenger side rear waist height panels is really noticeable. Ernie has definitely refined his technique during the first pass.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 01:38 PM   #764
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
The difference between the driver and passenger side rear waist height panels is really noticeable. Ernie has definitely refined his technique during the first pass.
Yeah, he's refined his technique a fair amount since he first started. The center section on the rear won't take long to rough polish out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_152020.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	321629Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_152027.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	279.8 KB
ID:	321630Click image for larger version

Name:	20180905_152036.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	321631
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:53 AM   #765
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,381
Last week Ernie spent some time working on the large dark spot on the passenger side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_123258.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	256.6 KB
ID:	322657Click image for larger version

Name:	20180915_123304.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	221.9 KB
ID:	322658

It's not completely cleared up as yet but it's getting better.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #766
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,381
It's been a while since I posted an update on Peanut. Ernie has finished phase 1 polishing on the shell and has finished phase 2 on the front and drivers side. Left for phase 2 is the rear center section and the passenger side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20181118_102449.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	399.7 KB
ID:	328111

He still has to do the engine front cover, fridge cover and the generator cover. I think he's done with phase one on the fridge and generator cover but I'm not certain of that.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 08:18 PM   #767
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,544
Sure looking shiny!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #768
Salon Owner
 
jamimes's Avatar
 
1970 21' Globetrotter
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
It's been a while since I posted an update on Peanut. Ernie has finished phase 1 polishing on the shell and has finished phase 2 on the front and drivers side. Left for phase 2 is the rear center section and the passenger side.



Attachment 328111



He still has to do the engine front cover, fridge cover and the generator cover. I think he's done with phase one on the fridge and generator cover but I'm not certain of that.



Brad


Peanut looks AMAZING!!! 🤸🏼*♂️
jamimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:20 PM   #769
Salon Owner
 
jamimes's Avatar
 
1970 21' Globetrotter
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Sure looking shiny!




Martin- we HAVE to do a photo shoot someday!! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3232.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	480.4 KB
ID:	329154I can picture it now..
jamimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:13 PM   #770
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,544
Well Peanut is now officially able to be driven on the road thanks to a new (New Jersey) registration and insurance!
__________________

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vintage travel trailer canned ham? peanut? shasta? not airstream old camper look eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-01-2012 06:30 PM
1971 peanut travel trailer small 10ft not airstream eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 06-23-2009 01:40 PM
Pink Flamingo Lives Wayne&Sam Off Topic Forum 8 06-02-2007 05:55 AM
Airstream Hype lives on! Sneakinup Trailer Values 9 08-23-2005 11:14 PM
Airstreamphotos Lives! j54mark Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 0 01-13-2004 05:27 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.