Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-17-2017, 10:27 AM   #561
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
Brad
I never found the exact spring. I found a similar on that was 90 degrees off. I bent it to the proper angle to make it work. Let me look in the shop. Generally when I order something that cost $1.98 and $8.00 shipping I order a few extra to be sure I have enough.😎
Greg, don't worry to much about finding the springs. The ones in Peanut seem to be in one piece and solid so I'm not going to worry about them.

Spent some more time this morning working on the headlights. I was able to verify that unless you have a really small right angle drill it's not possible to drill the rivets out to remove the ABS headlight bucket housing. The left two options, remove the cast aluminum headlight assembly from the coach or figure out a way to remove (and re-install) the steel headlight buckets.

Naturally I chose to purse the latter method

The first task was to get the old steel bucket out of the housing. I found that by unscrewing the adjusters farther out I could slip them off the bucket. Once that was done the bucket moved around a lot more freely inside the bucket. At that point after much prying and pushing I manged to get the old bucket out. However, that's only half the battle, I would still need to be able to install a new bucket. I then tried to re-install the old bucket and I just couldn't seem to get it to fit properly no matter what I tried. One thing I noticed while trying to install the buckets was the two large ears on the back side of the bucket were catching which prevented the bucket from sliding in properly.

You can just see the two ears inside the bucket in this picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Peanut-headlight-bucket.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	301029

That got me to thinking (that can be dangerous!) and after holding the headlight in the bucket I found that the ears didn't really do anything. At most they might help hold the rubber plug shroud in place. So I cut off the two ears.

Name:	Peanut-bucket-tab-cut-off.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	301028Click image for larger version

Name:	Peanut-head-light-bucket-tab-removed.jpg
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	301027Click image for larger version

Name:	Peanut-headlight-bucket-modified.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	301026

As you can see in this picture the bulb never comes close to the tabs that I cut off.

Name:	Peanut-bulb-fit-in-bucket.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	301025

Now that I could physically get the bucket back inside the housing the only remaining obstacle was the spring. I found that using a little hooked bar I could pull the spring out and attached to the bucket in the proper place.

Name:	Peanut-headlight-spring-install-method.jpg
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	301023

One other problem that has cropped up is the upper adjusting screw socket is stripped. It's definitely not the same as was used on the Chevy's of the era. So now I need to locate the little socket that's held in place with two rivets

Name:	Peanut-headlight-adjusters.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	293.6 KB
ID:	301024

So I guess what needs to be decided is whether I should try and salvage the rusty parts from Bella's donor or buy new parts? I think at a minimum I should replace the two adjusters with new ones.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #562
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
If I get the 350, I went to look at yesterday, I would be happy to pay cost for the rubber schlegle. But the chance that they will accept my offer is rather slim. Should know in a day or so. If someone else wants them, please don't wait for me.
And yes, they work well on the classics on all the coach and cockpit windows.
Well heck, this is easy. Just increase your offer by the amount that Schlegel would cost you to purchase
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 12-17-2017, 10:45 AM   #563
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Greg, don't worry to much about finding the springs. The ones in Peanut seem to be in one piece and solid so I'm not going to worry about them.

Spent some more time this morning working on the headlights. I was able to verify that unless you have a really small right angle drill it's not possible to drill the rivets out to remove the ABS headlight bucket housing. The left two options, remove the cast aluminum headlight assembly from the coach or figure out a way to remove (and re-install) the steel headlight buckets.

Naturally I chose to purse the latter method

The first task was to get the old steel bucket out of the housing. I found that by unscrewing the adjusters farther out I could slip them off the bucket. Once that was done the bucket moved around a lot more freely inside the bucket. At that point after much prying and pushing I manged to get the old bucket out. However, that's only half the battle, I would still need to be able to install a new bucket. I then tried to re-install the old bucket and I just couldn't seem to get it to fit properly no matter what I tried. One thing I noticed while trying to install the buckets was the two large ears on the back side of the bucket were catching which prevented the bucket from sliding in properly.

You can just see the two ears inside the bucket in this picture.
Attachment 301029

That got me to thinking (that can be dangerous!) and after holding the headlight in the bucket I found that the ears didn't really do anything. At most they might help hold the rubber plug shroud in place. So I cut off the two ears.
Attachment 301028Attachment 301027Attachment 301026

As you can see in this picture the bulb never comes close to the tabs that I cut off.
Attachment 301025

Now that I could physically get the bucket back inside the housing the only remaining obstacle was the spring. I found that using a little hooked bar I could pull the spring out and attached to the bucket in the proper place.
Attachment 301023

One other problem that has cropped up is the upper adjusting screw socket is stripped. It's definitely not the same as was used on the Chevy's of the era. So now I need to locate the little socket that's held in place with two rivets
Attachment 301024

So I guess what needs to be decided is whether I should try and salvage the rusty parts from Bella's donor or buy new parts? I think at a minimum I should replace the two adjusters with new ones.

Brad
Geeeeeeeeeez Louise Brad, what a pain in the arse! NOTHING is easy on these beasts it seems. Hang in, your patience is admirable!
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 10:58 AM   #564
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Geeeeeeeeeez Louise Brad, what a pain in the arse! NOTHING is easy on these beasts it seems. Hang in, your patience is admirable!
Mike,

When you installed the new LED bulbs were all four the same bulb?

That's what I got, four of the same, when I ordered them from Amazon.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #565
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

Brad
Well I think it's a moot point about using the donor bucket. I just tried getting the screws out holding the bulb clamp ring in place and none of them wanted to budge. I'd spend more time dealing with those screws that it's worth.

I'll get the two lower buckets and misc parts on order....
Old 12-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #566
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Quote:
Mike,

When you installed the new LED bulbs were all four the same bulb?

That's what I got, four of the same, when I ordered them from Amazon.
Yes Brad, all four the same.
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2017, 12:21 PM   #567
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
Yes Brad, all four the same.
I guess that's cheaper than making two different bulbs.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:28 PM   #568
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Well heck, this is easy. Just increase your offer by the amount that Schlegel would cost you to purchase
Hmm, I dont think it would sway them. I just got a reply to my generous offer for the 1991 350LE in question:
"Okay, Have a good day, sir. $xxxxx is too low of a price"
So, I retract my offer for the rubber schlegle for now, but who knows what the future holds.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:45 PM   #569
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
77 Argosy Lights (Front Park Light Assemblies)

Brad,
I can understand your issues with the headlight rusted screws. Fortunately I was able to extract all of the rusted screws and remove the lamps without a major disassembly task like you encountered. I did replace the screws with stainless ones though.

The subsequent problem that I had was the parking lamp assemblies. The old lens gaskets were leaking such that the inside was quite rusted and rain water would get inside while driving causing a short that blew out the fuse. I tried several fixes but the ultimate was to replace the park light assemblies. (1967 Chevy Pickup park light assembly). After that I no longer had any issues and blown fuses.

The problem first came up on my maiden run down to Austin and ran into a shower just after dark. That blown fuse kills all of the rear lights, dash lights, as well as the park lights. A fun drive that day.

Gregg
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 08:48 PM   #570
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I would imagine the “pucker factor” from driving without tail lights was extreme. I’ve been driving in Austin when it was raining....and fervently wished I could park and wait it out.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:09 PM   #571
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Gregg, it's interesting that so many have suffered rusted out headlight assemblies. Sounds like there might be something wrong with the design!

Hopefully I'll be able to eliminate any wiring issues by the time Martin gets to take Peanut for a drive

Thanks!

Brad
Old 01-27-2018, 05:08 PM   #572
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
A quick update on Peanut. Ernie found time today to replace the Fuzzy Schlegel on one of the drivers side slider windows. Still need to replace the Fuzzy Schlegel for the screen but at least a little bit of progress was made. This coming week the weather is supposed to be rain and/or snow again so it will probably be next weekend before he gets after it again.

Brad
Old 02-27-2018, 07:53 AM   #573
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Peanut is now sporting new OEM front turn signals. I need to fabricate some clamps to hold them in place but that shouldn't be to difficult. With the turn signal lights in place I can now tackle the wiring for the turn signals and head lights at the same time.

Name:	peanut-front-turn-lights1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	305095Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-front-turn-lights.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	305094

Ernie is also making progress on the windows. Its possible by the end of the weekend he might have them done. Weather permitting of course.

I was talking to a longtime local here and he said February was the wettest he can remember. I have a hunch this year is going to heavy on the mowing
Old 02-27-2018, 01:50 PM   #574
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
You need the 'present' we woke up to this morning Brad....15cm of fresh snow, that will stop the grass in its tracks! My neighbours had already mowed twice this year.

The trouble is 15cm counts as a once in a decade event in the UK and so all the roads in my area are blocked, the trains aren't running, kids are off school - for many this will be the only chance they have to build a snowman!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:20 PM   #575
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
You need the 'present' we woke up to this morning Brad....15cm of fresh snow, that will stop the grass in its tracks! My neighbours had already mowed twice this year.

The trouble is 15cm counts as a once in a decade event in the UK and so all the roads in my area are blocked, the trains aren't running, kids are off school - for many this will be the only chance they have to build a snowman!
You must mean 15 inches.....15cm in Canada is a dusting.....unless you live in any of the big cities with new immigrants from places that are hot; then it can be fun to watch them drive in it.
I love snow; unless I haven't finished winterizing everything.
Build a snowman in front of the Argosy Martin, and put a bowler hat on him.
Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:32 AM   #576
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
What I really want is no snow and NO rain so I can get a bunch of trees and brush clearing done!

Quote:
I'm sure the kids are having a blast with that amount of snow. How long does that amount of snow hang around?
Old 02-28-2018, 06:10 AM   #577
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Peanut lives on!

Apparently there was another 10cm last night so the total is around 25cm, nothing by North American standards but enough that it took me 8 hours to do a 4 hour train journey to Brussels yesterday evening. I’m on my way back to London this afternoon to catch a flight to Basel.....did I mention I am supposed to be semi-retired! All the time I am getting FB photos from my family building snowmen and sledging for the first time.

They need to make the post of it as the temp will be back up to 10c on Saturday and it will all be gone!
Old 02-28-2018, 10:45 AM   #578
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Apparently there was another 10cm last night so the total is around 25cm, nothing by North American standards but enough that it took me 8 hours to do a 4 hour train journey to Brussels yesterday evening. I’m on my way back to London this afternoon to catch a flight to Basel.....did I mention I am supposed to be semi-retired! All the time I am getting FB photos from my family building snowmen and sledging for the first time.

They need to make the post of it as the temp will be back up to 10c on Saturday and it will all be gone!
I'm not sure you're "semi-retired". I think you just changed your occupation from one thing to another
Old 02-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #579
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky

I think I've just about reached the point where it would be easier to just board over the windows and be done with it.

After all the trials and tribulations with the Fuzzy Schlegel I figured once we got those resolved we were on the home stretch. NOT

It turns out the Fin Seals that are being sold now are not the right ones. They are too narrow and too short. Years ago when I was redoing the windows on the 310 I bought all the seals, etc from InlandRV and everything was correct and worked.

InlandRV no longer seems to carry the correct Fin Seal material so I ordered some from Out of Doors Mart. Nope, to small and won't work. Next I ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply. Same thing, to small.

So for the last few days I've been googling to see what I could find. For the moment I can't find anyone that sells a Fin Seal in the .25" x .25" size.

I did a comparison of the Fin Seal removed from the Argosy screens and they match what was used on the later 310 screens. I'm not sure what the rest of you have been using but for the moment I've having zero luck

Brad
Old 02-28-2018, 11:58 AM   #580
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

I think I've just about reached the point where it would be easier to just board over the windows and be done with it.

After all the trials and tribulations with the Fuzzy Schlegel I figured once we got those resolved we were on the home stretch. NOT

It turns out the Fin Seals that are being sold now are not the right ones. They are too narrow and too short. Years ago when I was redoing the windows on the 310 I bought all the seals, etc from InlandRV and everything was correct and worked.

InlandRV no longer seems to carry the correct Fin Seal material so I ordered some from Out of Doors Mart. Nope, to small and won't work. Next I ordered from Vintage Trailer Supply. Same thing, to small.

So for the last few days I've been googling to see what I could find. For the moment I can't find anyone that sells a Fin Seal in the .25" x .25" size.

I did a comparison of the Fin Seal removed from the Argosy screens and they match what was used on the later 310 screens. I'm not sure what the rest of you have been using but for the moment I've having zero luck

Brad
Its a long shot Brad, but there was a bundle of the original fin seal in my spares.....could be with you.....could be in New Jersey....could be anywhere, but it is somewhere!