Old 05-16-2016, 06:05 AM   #211
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Will the lock from the donor door at least fit Brad?
Good question! I'll check today and let you know

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:16 PM   #212
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yep the lock works

Even with the radiator out of the way it's still a pain to remove the hydroboost. But I managed to get the old hydroboost removed today and the new hydroboost assembled to the front bracket and ready to go. I probably would have been able to re-install the new unit but it started sprinkling and I lost interest in the project for the time being

Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-rebuilt-hydroboost.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	314.9 KB
ID:	262636

With luck I should be able to get the hydroboost and MC installed sometime this week and will then concentrate on rebuilding the PS pump.

Martin, if you can salvage the high pressure line between the hydroboost and the steering gearbox that would help a lot. If you can't I will see about bending up a new one.

Brad

Old 05-17-2016, 07:32 PM   #213
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Well it's probably a good thing it started raining Monday afternoon before I had a chance to actually install the new hydroboost in Peanut.

For some reason tonight I decided to check the fit of the power steering hose and found that it wouldn't screw into the hydroboost

Looking closer I found the old hose and new hose both haved double flare ends. The new hydroboost is apparently set up for fittings that use o-rings for sealing. Outwardly the new hydroboost looks like the old one. The part number on the box matches what various web sites show to be the right one for a 77 P30.

I'm really glad I bought this one locally as that will hopefully make it easier to return and find the correct one.

Nothing is ever easy on these rigs is it

Brad
Old 05-17-2016, 07:55 PM   #214
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Yep the lock works

Martin, if you can salvage the high pressure line between the hydroboost and the steering gearbox that would help a lot. If you can't I will see about bending up a new one.
Sorry Brad, I have been a little isolated for the last two days. The kind contractors working for Comcast installing their fiber network decided to rip out our Verizon FIOS drop with their bucket lift and it has taken Verizon to days to get an engineer out to re-do our drop.

I'm due to head over to AS NE tomorrow and will take a look.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:22 PM   #215
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

Brad
I gave it a shot Brad but there is just but the donor is too low (especially with flat tires) to get under and there is not enough gap between the wheel and wheel well to get in there without taking the wheel off.

Are these high pressure lines not available as replacement parts?
Old 05-18-2016, 07:20 PM   #216
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Taking the pipe off isn't worth that much hassle. While at the Get Together Matt pointed out how he repaired the power steering hose on his Argosy and I'll just do something similar for the busted pipe.

The actual pre-bent tubes and fittings are not available but sections of tubing can be had at the parts stores so this Friday I'll stop by the local NAPA to see if they have any 3/8" tubing. I'm not sure if I my double flaring tool will do 3/8". If it does I hope to flare the pipes myself, if not I'll have the local shop do the flaring after I bend the tube to shape.

I a slightly better note I'm happy to say it was a false alarm on the hydroboost fittings being different

There was a nicked thread on one of the fittings that I was trying that wouldn't let it thread into the port. I cleaned up the nick and all seems to be good. I should have the hydroboost and MC reinstalled this weekend.

I also managed to get the power steering pump dismantled tonight but the pulley didn't survive the experience. It is apparently seized to the shaft. I'll probably have to pick up a used pulley on ebay. Other than the pulley I should have the power steering pump finished by the end of the weekend as well.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #217
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Brad,
I had the same problems that you are having with my pump. The hose on the back of my pump just would not come off until I cut the tube and used a 6-point socket on the flare nut. For a new hose I used one tube from the old hose and one tube from the new replacement hose. The new replacement hose from suppliers just flat does not fit. With the two tubing ends, I went to an industrial hose supplier/fabricator and they put flare fittings on the ends cut from their respective hoses. Then they made up a rubber hose with flare fittings. In the future all I have do is get a new rubber hose made up with flare fittings.
On the pump pulley, my old pulley also broke while I was removing it from the old pump. I got a new pulley through O'Reillys made by Dorman. It looks just like the original and pressed onto the shaft without issues.

While you guys were enjoying a trip to Penn Wood last weekend, I drove my 77 20 out of town for the first time since 1993 on a trip to Austin, TX (200 miles). A couple of problems popped up to fix before the return trip home. As soon as it quits raining here in Austin, repairs will get under way.
Gregg
Old 05-19-2016, 11:24 AM   #218
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Brad,
I had the same problems that you are having with my pump. The hose on the back of my pump just would not come off until I cut the tube and used a 6-point socket on the flare nut. For a new hose I used one tube from the old hose and one tube from the new replacement hose. The new replacement hose from suppliers just flat does not fit. With the two tubing ends, I went to an industrial hose supplier/fabricator and they put flare fittings on the ends cut from their respective hoses. Then they made up a rubber hose with flare fittings. In the future all I have do is get a new rubber hose made up with flare fittings.
Reusing the old hose ends might be the only option as well for Peanut. The local NAPA is big in making hydraulic hoses and I'm sure they will be able to accommodate what I might need.

Quote:
On the pump pulley, my old pulley also broke while I was removing it from the old pump. I got a new pulley through O'Reillys made by Dorman. It looks just like the original and pressed onto the shaft without issues.
I ordered a replacement pulley yesterday from Amazon. Cheap and will be here Friday. What's interesting is according to the parts suppliers, the pulley I ordered is not supposed to work on Peanut. It appears according to the "official" records the power steering pumps used up until 1978 had a keyed shaft and the press on pulleys came into play in 1979. I know for certain that Peanut's was a press on so either someone swapped pump assemblies or the books are wrong. With these old rigs it always pays to see what's really there before ordering!

Quote:
While you guys were enjoying a trip to Penn Wood last weekend, I drove my 77 20 out of town for the first time since 1993 on a trip to Austin, TX (200 miles). A couple of problems popped up to fix before the return trip home. As soon as it quits raining here in Austin, repairs will get under way.
Gregg
Good deal! Did it handle about as you would have expected for such a long layup?
Old 05-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #219
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
I know for a fact that my pump was the one that Chevy installed at the factory and the pulley was a press on version. I've had this unit since 1978 and the owner for the first year had all records. The pump had not been touched since new from the factory.

The trip down to Austin brought back old memories. It is now parked in my mom's drive where there is an electrical and water hookup. I had replaced everything in the ignition system (original GM HEI) except for the ignition switch. Intermittently the switch would open up in the ignition circuit and then remake. The engine quit several times and fire back up with a loud backfire. I think that the new mufflers have been destroyed and replacements are in order. I have already replaced the ignition switch. When the local rain flooding stops, I will investigate.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #220
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
I know for a fact that my pump was the one that Chevy installed at the factory and the pulley was a press on version. I've had this unit since 1978 and the owner for the first year had all records. The pump had not been touched since new from the factory.
You've pretty much confirmed what I thought as well. When I bought the replacement power steering pump for my 74 it also came with the press on pulley style of shaft (no pulley installed).

Quote:
The trip down to Austin brought back old memories. It is now parked in my mom's drive where there is an electrical and water hookup. I had replaced everything in the ignition system (original GM HEI) except for the ignition switch. Intermittently the switch would open up in the ignition circuit and then remake. The engine quit several times and fire back up with a loud backfire. I think that the new mufflers have been destroyed and replacements are in order. I have already replaced the ignition switch. When the local rain flooding stops, I will investigate.
I'll bet that made for an interesting drive! Hopefully your exhaust doesn't need replacement.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:13 PM   #221
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Finished installing the hydroboost and master cylinder this afternoon. Still need to fabricate a replacement pressure pipe from the hydroboost to the power steering gearbox.

Name:	peanut-hydroboost-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	262914Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-hydroboost-2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	262913

Next I got the power steering pump reservoir cleaned up and painted. Tomorrow I should be able to attach the new pump to the reservoir.

Name:	peanut-ps-reservoir.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	472.4 KB
ID:	262912

After that I mounted the new parallel flow condenser to the radiator and took measurements for support brackets to mount the engine oil cooler and new electric cooling fan. The new condenser is 35% larger than the original condenser and parallel flow condensers are 33% more efficient than the original style condenser of the same size so the hope is the conversion to R134a will blow nice and cold

Name:	peanut-new-condenser-mounted.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	262911

And today I found another new mystery on Peanut. Just to the right of the fridge vent panel there is a key lock. Looking inside the fridge compartment there are two wires on the back side that run down through the floor. I didn't follow the wires any farther than that but will do so when I get a chance. I'm rather curious to know what the switch is for! Who knows, maybe it's a self destruct mechanism.....

Name:	peanut-mystery-lock-switch.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	262915
Old 05-21-2016, 04:52 PM   #222
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:

And today I found another new mystery on Peanut. Just to the right of the fridge vent panel there is a key lock. Looking inside the fridge compartment there are two wires on the back side that run down through the floor. I didn't follow the wires any farther than that but will do so when I get a chance. I'm rather curious to know what the switch is for! Who knows, maybe it's a self destruct mechanism.....
Attachment 262915
Security system? When I restored the Class C last year, I found something similar at the door and an entire alarm, disabling system tied into the wiring harness under the dash ready to get your stranded.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:13 PM   #223
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Finished installing the hydroboost and master cylinder this afternoon. Still need to fabricate a replacement pressure pipe from the hydroboost to the power steering gearbox.

Attachment 262914Attachment 262913

Next I got the power steering pump reservoir cleaned up and painted. Tomorrow I should be able to attach the new pump to the reservoir.

Attachment 262912

After that I mounted the new parallel flow condenser to the radiator and took measurements for support brackets to mount the engine oil cooler and new electric cooling fan. The new condenser is 35% larger than the original condenser and parallel flow condensers are 33% more efficient than the original style condenser of the same size so the hope is the conversion to R134a will blow nice and cold

Attachment 262911

Attachment 262915

Well the insurance is paid up if we find more problems with Peanut!

Seriously, I am parked 2 units down from Balrgn at the moment so will pop and ask!
Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 PM   #224
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
I caught Andre as we were leaving the campground this morning. He doesn't remember it being there when he had Peanut but he threw up a couple of suggestions. First was a manual start/overide for the generator; second was maybe an isolator for the batteries when running on shore-power. Any clues based on the gauge of wire?