My guess is Peanut won't be running HOT anymore
I hope this is what you meant Brad.....you had me panicking for a second

Old 05-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #198
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Went and picked up Peanut's newly recored radiator today. From the time I dropped it off until the time I picked it up was slightly less than 3 days total time.

When I walked in the door the guy asked me if Peanut had been running hot....I mentioned that yes it certainly was and then he showed me the old core
Attachment 261967

This picture was taken AFTER the radiator had already been boiled once. At least 20% of the tubes were totally plugged and and probably another 50 or 60% were partially plugged. The old core was certainly in horrible shape. This was only one end of the core, he said the other end was just as bad. I'll bet cooling capacity was reduced by at least 50% or more.

The new core has more cooling fins per inch which help a lot in keeping things cool.

My guess is Peanut won't be running hot anymore
Certainly making me wish I had Bella rebuilt somewhere other than New England Brad.

The folks up here seem to take twice as long and charge four times as much!

The Peanut pile of spares must be taking over your shop now.

Old 05-05-2016, 02:47 PM   #199
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I hope this is what you meant Brad.....you had me panicking for a second
One little word, I left one little word out and you have to nit pick me

Yeah, that's what I meant
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 03:00 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Certainly making me wish I had Bella rebuilt somewhere other than New England Brad.

The folks up here seem to take twice as long and charge four times as much!
There are distinct advantages to not living in or near any of the large metropolitan areas. You couldn't pay me enough to live where you live!

Quote:
The Peanut pile of spares must be taking over your shop now.
Space is becoming an issue! That left rear ABS panel takes up a pretty good chunk of space all by itself. Apparently it's made to fit the longest motorhome made and you have to cut it down to fit. 3' will probably have to be cut off for Peanut.

The good news is pretty much everything has been ordered and received so it's just a matter of me getting off my butt and get parts installed so I have more space
Old 05-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #201
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Been busy taking care of various things around the property so I haven't had a lot of time to work on Peanut. This morning I managed to get the front end up on jack stands so I could remove the front wheels for access to the brakes and the sides of the engine.

Both wheels were stuck to the wheel hubs and it took a lot of beating with a 2 lb sledge to break them free, it probably took me over 20 minutes just to get the wheels off once it was on jack stands

Before I removed the front wheels I did some pushing and pulling on the drivers side wheel and found that the bulk of the front suspension seems to be in good shape except for the idler pivots. Both pivots are totally shot

When pulling a wheel side to side there is so much slop in the idler pivots that the front edge of the wheel moves almost a 1/2" before the steering wheel starts to turn. They are worse than the drivers side pivot that I replaced on my old 310. The 310 drivers side pivot was bad enough to cause the steering to be totally scary when passing semi's or being passed by semi's. You couldn't make it go in a straight line! With luck replacing the idler pivots on Peanut will cure any problems with the front end.

Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-on-stands.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	262101

Next up is to replace the water and power steering pumps. Since I have to remove the alternator to get to the water pump I'll take it to a parts store to have it checked out.

While looking things over I noticed that the hose from the power steering reservoir down to the pump has a nice big kink in it! There is a clamp part way between the pump and the reservoir that is loose and not connected to anything. That's one more thing that will get rectified as I start putting things back together.

Name:	peanut-ps-fill-hose-kinked.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	471.8 KB
ID:	262102
Old 05-07-2016, 06:05 PM   #202
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

Before I removed the front wheels I did some pushing and pulling on the drivers side wheel and found that the bulk of the front suspension seems to be in good shape except for the idler pivots. Both pivots are totally shot
And I am kicking myself as the two that were removed from Bella when I upgraded to Supersteer bell cranks were not that bad.... at the time the shop asked if I wanted to keep them. I thought, what do I need a used set of bell cranks for?....go figure.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:21 PM   #203
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
And I am kicking myself as the two that were removed from Bella when I upgraded to Supersteer bell cranks were not that bad.... at the time the shop asked if I wanted to keep them. I thought, what do I need a used set of bell cranks for?....go figure.
Hind sight is such a wonderful thing isn't it
Old 05-08-2016, 04:12 PM   #204
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Spent a little more time on Peanut today. I started by disconnecting and removing the batteries. Since I was going to disconnect and remove the alternator I thought that might be a good idea

The bad news is the battery box is in really bad shape. It's pretty much busted to the point where it isn't salvageable.

Name:	peanut-busted-battery-box.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	207.4 KB
ID:	262155

Martin, not sure when you want to replace the battery box with the one from the donor but it might be necessary to do it sooner rather than later. The way it is right now rain can blow right into the box and down onto the cockpit floor.

I also removed the power steering pump and the alternator. I won't remove the water pump until the power steering pump has been rebuilt and ready to go back in.

Unfortunately nothing is ever easy. I managed to break free the high pressure hose from the ps pump to the hydroboost. But the high pressure line fitting from the hydroboost to the steering gearbox is frozen to the pipe. I've got it soaking right now with PB Blaster and will give it a try again tomorrow. If that doesn't do it I'll try using some heat via a small propane torch. And if that doesn't do it I don't have much of an alternative except to cut the pipe and then try and fabricate a new one.

I did manage to loosen the brake line fittings going to the brake mc so that's one less thing to worry about

Name:	peanut-greasy-ps-pump.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	375.8 KB
ID:	262153Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-water-pump.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	262154

One other item of interest, the old power steering hose is not the same shape and configuration as the new replacement hose. I checked part numbers again and from 74-77 the hoses are the same part number as I ordered. None of the pictures I have found online match the hose that was on Peanut. I did a little testing and it looks like the new hose might work but it will be routed somewhat different.

Not sure if GM made a production change but no one has a hose that matches the hose that was on Peanut. Just one more thing to worry about
Old 05-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #205
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:

Martin, not sure when you want to replace the battery box with the one from the donor but it might be necessary to do it sooner rather than later. The way it is right now rain can blow right into the box and down onto the cockpit floor.
Hmmm, well what I want to do and what Peanut intends letting me do appear to be different! Seems the broken remains of the current box need to come out for sure but I am wondering if a easier/quicker solution is to have a replacement made (the same size) at a local fab shop? The donor box is pretty good (needs a small repair) but would require the existing door to be removed. The body cut to fit the new opening. A new wooded support box made. All the new parts fit etc. Certainly not a 30min job!

Quote:
Unfortunately nothing is ever easy. I managed to break free the high pressure hose from the ps pump to the hydroboost. But the high pressure line fitting from the hydroboost to the steering gearbox is frozen to the pipe. I've got it soaking right now with PB Blaster and will give it a try again tomorrow. If that doesn't do it I'll try using some heat via a small propane torch. And if that doesn't do it I don't have much of an alternative except to cut the pipe and then try and fabricate a new one.
Is it worth trying to get the one off the donor?

Quote:
One other item of interest, the old power steering hose is not the same shape and configuration as the new replacement hose. I checked part numbers again and from 74-77 the hoses are the same part number as I ordered. None of the pictures I have found online match the hose that was on Peanut. I did a little testing and it looks like the new hose might work but it will be routed somewhat different.

Not sure if GM made a production change but no one has a hose that matches the hose that was on Peanut. Just one more thing to worry about
Again is it worth trying to get the one off the donor?
Old 05-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #206
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
Quote:

I've got it soaking right now with PB Blaster and will give it a try again tomorrow.

Brad, if thePB doesn't do it,mix up a few ounces of acetone with an equal amount of any grade or type ATF, and paint or spray it on and let it sit. Find this potion much better than PB or Kroil.

Ymmv!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

http://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 06:12 PM   #207
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hmmm, well what I want to do and what Peanut intends letting me do appear to be different! Seems the broken remains of the current box need to come out for sure but I am wondering if a easier/quicker solution is to have a replacement made (the same size) at a local fab shop? The donor box is pretty good (needs a small repair) but would require the existing door to be removed. The body cut to fit the new opening. A new wooded support box made. All the new parts fit etc. Certainly not a 30min job!
I was wondering if making a new box out of aluminum plate might be a better approach. The local fab shop that is making my gas tank can bend and weld 1/8" aluminum plate. The box will have to be installed form the inside which isn't really a problem as the whole original box assembly needs to be removed no matter what and that has to happen from the inside.

Quote:
But the high pressure line fitting from the hydroboost to the steering gearbox is frozen to the pipe......

Is it worth trying to get the one off the donor?
If you have the time it can't hurt to put a wrench to the fittings to see if they will break free without twisting the pipe. This particular pipe should be accessible from the left front wheel well.

Quote:
One other item of interest, the old power steering hose is not the same shape and configuration as the new replacement hose.

Again is it worth trying to get the one off the donor?
The fitting at the back of the pump might be a little difficult to reach without jacking up the coach. Again if you have the time you could try but I wouldn't waste a whole lot of time.

I just checked and it shows the 78 P30 motorhome chassis uses the same hose as 74-77 so the pressure hose from the pump to the hydroboost I'm betting GM made a production change, most likely for better routing.
Old 05-08-2016, 06:42 PM   #208
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
Brad, if thePB doesn't do it,mix up a few ounces of acetone with an equal amount of any grade or type ATF, and paint or spray it on and let it sit. Find this potion much better than PB or Kroil.

Ymmv!
I've heard of that concoction before. I'll tinker with the fitting this week and if I can find some acetone I'll give it a shot.
Old 05-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #209
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Nothing is ever simple when working on Argosies or Classics. One of the potential changes to Peanut had been to replace the existing battery tray assembly with the one from the 78 Donor Argosy.

A quick comparison finds that the 77 battery door is 1" taller than the 78 battery door!

Name:	peanut-vs-donor-battery-tray.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	307.0 KB
ID:	262571

That means we're going to have to fall back to the plan of fabricating a new interior battery box and use the taller pedestals for the drivers seat.

Also two more bolts and the hydroboost/mc assembly is ready to be removed. The hydraulic pressure pipe fitting that was stuck to the pipe wasn't going to come free no matter what I tried so in the end it just twisted off. I'll need to find a local source for bending and flaring some replacement tubing. I might be able to bend the tubing myself but I will need to find a shop somewhere that can flare the ends of the tubes.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #210
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Will the lock from the donor door at least fit Brad?