Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-02-2016, 06:18 PM   #183
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
One odd thing, after I got the radiator out I noticed that it was twisted from top to bottom. I'd never see that happen before. I talked to the guy at the radiator shop and he said that's a common occurrence! He said when he rebuilds it he'll make it flat

It sounds like the radiator might be done as early as Thursday afternoon. They are closed this Friday so if I can get over there by Thursday I won't be able to pick it up until Monday. That shouldn't be a problem as I don't think I'll be able to get everything replaced on the front of the engine by then anyway.

Something else I noticed today, whoever replaced all of the heater hose the last time used 3/4" instead of 5/8".

Slowly making progress
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #184
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
I did find out something a little disconcerting today. I was going to order a replacement Power Steering pump and found that no one has the complete pump (minus pulley) in stock. I found that Rockauto was the only one who would even do an exchange and that entailed sending the original pump to their rebuilder who would rebuild and send it back to me. I have no idea how long that would take.

The other option is you can buy just the pump minus the reservoir and you remove the old pump and install the new pump using your reservoir. I think this applies to the 75-79 models. They don't even list a pump for my 74 Fortunately I had already upgraded mine to the 75-79 version!

I wonder if this is a sign that parts in general are going to be getting harder to find? Rockauto had a vendor closeout on water pumps so I got a replacement for Peanut for $13 and no core charge!
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:38 PM   #185
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

It probably would have helped if I'd had someone to lend a hand as well!
Guilty as charged.....
__________________
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #186
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Guilty as charged.....
Naa, that's not what meant!

Some things just go easier with two people. When I go to install it I've got someone that is available to help.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:28 PM   #187
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Brad,

On power steering pumps. For me the closest place is an O'Reilly location nearby. They had the same issue. They listed a complete pump assembly with two return line ports - but it was no longer available. I ordered the pump without the housing and carefully took ithe housing off of the old pump and installed it on the new one. The rebuilt pump came with the seals to install the housing. I also exchanged the pressure regulator since I wasn't sure that the rebuilt pump had the correct one. The Chev Shop Manual implies that the regulator may be slightly different for the P30 Hydroboost application. Since the core charge in my case was only $15, I kept the leaky pump to replace the seal at a future time.

On the radiator. I had my son help me handle the radiator both during removal and re-installation. I'm 72 and not quite as agile as I used to be. During the re-installation I used a little hydraulic bottle jack with a block of wood to hold the radiator in place and the jack made it a lot easier to raise and lower the radiator for aligning bolt holes.

Gregg
__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:05 AM   #188
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,695
Dometic.Eu still list the GY11 but don't have them in stock, they are expecting some mid-May. So even if I order from a supplier Dometic are the rate limiting step.

Got me thinking on two fronts. Firstly I remember seeing photos of the vent taken during the repair of the end caps in the 'Balrgn years'. It had a metal cover and was fairly beaten up at that point. Maybe the cover has disappeared altogther?



Also it got me thinking that these mushroom vents are quite common in Europe (not just in MH but also in sunrooms etc) and often have built in solar power. I have 2 x 4" units running in the plexiglass roof of my sun room in the UK, never have to touch them and they have been running for at least 8/9 years. So I'm going to look into alternatives - I like the idea of the MH being 'vented' whenever there is enough sun to drive the fan!
__________________
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #189
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Dometic.Eu still list the GY11 but don't have them in stock, they are expecting some mid-May. So even if I order from a supplier Dometic are the rate limiting step.
From what I remember looking up at the vent from the bathroom I believe I could see daylight. Next chance I get I'll get a ladder out and see if I can cover the vent with something to keep water from pouring in. That won't solve the leaks at the front but it can't hurt to plug at least one leak!

Quote:
Got me thinking on two fronts. Firstly I remember seeing photos of the vent taken during the repair of the end caps in the 'Balrgn years'. It had a metal cover and was fairly beaten up at that point. Maybe the cover has disappeared altogther?

I do know the vent doesn't look that good now

Quote:
Also it got me thinking that these mushroom vents are quite common in Europe (not just in MH but also in sunrooms etc) and often have built in solar power. I have 2 x 4" units running in the plexiglass roof of my sun room in the UK, never have to touch them and they have been running for at least 8/9 years. So I'm going to look into alternatives - I like the idea of the MH being 'vented' whenever there is enough sun to drive the fan!
Doesn't Peanut have a Fantastic fan? If so I thought they were set up to close if they sense moisture. I have a Fantastic fan for my Argosy but it hasn't been installed yet. I also plan on getting one of the housings that covers the Fantastic fan so it can stay open all the time in the summer months.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM   #190
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Doesn't Peanut have a Fantastic fan? If so I thought they were set up to close if they sense moisture. I have a Fantastic fan for my Argosy but it hasn't been installed yet. I also plan on getting one of the housings that covers the Fantastic fan so it can stay open all the time in the summer months.
Yes, and they work great, I have two in Bella - one pulls in, one pushes out and they really generate a breeze inside. The issue is they only work if the coach systems are left on, so fine if plugged into shore power. The little solar units run whenever there is enough light to drive them.

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and...FQxahgodwVcGPw

__________________
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:36 AM   #191
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Brad,

On power steering pumps. For me the closest place is an O'Reilly location nearby. They had the same issue. They listed a complete pump assembly with two return line ports - but it was no longer available. I ordered the pump without the housing and carefully took ithe housing off of the old pump and installed it on the new one. The rebuilt pump came with the seals to install the housing. I also exchanged the pressure regulator since I wasn't sure that the rebuilt pump had the correct one. The Chev Shop Manual implies that the regulator may be slightly different for the P30 Hydroboost application. Since the core charge in my case was only $15, I kept the leaky pump to replace the seal at a future time.

On the radiator. I had my son help me handle the radiator both during removal and re-installation. I'm 72 and not quite as agile as I used to be. During the re-installation I used a little hydraulic bottle jack with a block of wood to hold the radiator in place and the jack made it a lot easier to raise and lower the radiator for aligning bolt holes.

Gregg
Gregg, the pump without the housing appears to be the best option. I don't know that I'd want to send off my only pump to have it rebuilt with the worry that it could get lost somehow. That would be my lucky anyway!

59 or 72 that radiator is heavy! I used a floor jack to hold it in place and then used it to help raise it for removal.

For vehicles that have functional AC systems I think Peter's method of dropping it out the bottom is probably the best choice.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:52 AM   #192
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Yes, and they work great, I have two in Bella - one pulls in, one pushes out and they really generate a breeze inside. The issue is they only work if the coach systems are left on, so fine if plugged into shore power. The little solar units run whenever there is enough light to drive them.

http://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-and...FQxahgodwVcGPw

Those solar fans are surprisingly cheap. I might have to consider adding one to mine. I haven't figured out what to do about a bathroom vent yet so this could be the answer.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:27 PM   #193
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Martin,
The picture you posted that shows a metal cover is like my unit also. That metal cover is just over the fan and if removed then the top of the fan is in view. Looking down from above you will see the fan just like what you see in the picture I posted yesterday. There is a plastic cover around the edge of the impeller. In the center is the impeller that is flat on top and vanes on the under side. If peanut still has the GY11 in the bathroom, then Brad is looking up through holes in the flat top of impeller just like the holes in my picture. According to information I've read online the GY11 allows some air circulation to the outside without any power applied. Of course with it running the fan does a nice job of exhausting moist air from a shower or stale air from toilet use. The second picture showing the new fan box also shows the top plastic cover supplied by Dometic. Argosy used the metal cover instead of the plastic one.
Gregg
__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:58 PM   #194
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Brad,
I would not let the pump out of my possession, the re-seal and/or rebuild kits are nominally priced <$50. Usually reworking one in your own shop is quite possible if it is really necessary. I've had to go back and get my old starter one time after turning it in for the core charge. There were differences between US dimensioned one and a metric dimensioned starter. GM changed in the early 80's and the Delco parts book did not differentiate.
Gregg
__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:12 PM   #195
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Martin,
The picture you posted that shows a metal cover is like my unit also. That metal cover is just over the fan and if removed then the top of the fan is in view. Looking down from above you will see the fan just like what you see in the picture I posted yesterday. There is a plastic cover around the edge of the impeller. In the center is the impeller that is flat on top and vanes on the under side. If peanut still has the GY11 in the bathroom, then Brad is looking up through holes in the flat top of impeller just like the holes in my picture. According to information I've read online the GY11 allows some air circulation to the outside without any power applied. Of course with it running the fan does a nice job of exhausting moist air from a shower or stale air from toilet use. The second picture showing the new fan box also shows the top plastic cover supplied by Dometic. Argosy used the metal cover instead of the plastic one.
Gregg
Your last two sentences are key Gregg. Up to that point I thought you had the plastic top not metal one in the photo.

It does seem unusual (for a mushroom vent) that there are perforations on the top. Normally mushroom vents have a solid 'cap' and rely on air space around the sides of the cap for air to pass. Here rain can enter (at least the vent) by falling on the perforations.

Either way, I have one on order from the same guys as recommended. 83.32 for the part and another 25 for delivery to the US (they couldn't guarantee delivery before Denise heads out to the US next week) hopefully to arrive before the Get Together so I can head it off to Brad.
__________________
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM   #196
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,367
Went and picked up Peanut's newly recored radiator today. From the time I dropped it off until the time I picked it up was slightly less than 3 days total time.

When I walked in the door the guy asked me if Peanut had been running hot....I mentioned that yes it certainly was and then he showed me the old core
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-radiator-core.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	261967

This picture was taken AFTER the radiator had already been boiled once. At least 20% of the tubes were totally plugged and and probably another 50 or 60% were partially plugged. The old core was certainly in horrible shape. This was only one end of the core, he said the other end was just as bad. I'll bet cooling capacity was reduced by at least 50% or more.

The new core has more cooling fins per inch which help a lot in keeping things cool.

My guess is Peanut won't be running anymore
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vintage travel trailer canned ham? peanut? shasta? not airstream old camper look eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-01-2012 07:30 PM
1971 peanut travel trailer small 10ft not airstream eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 06-23-2009 02:40 PM
Pink Flamingo Lives Wayne&Sam Off Topic Forum 8 06-02-2007 06:55 AM
Airstream Hype lives on! Sneakinup Trailer Values 9 08-24-2005 12:14 AM
Airstreamphotos Lives! j54mark Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 0 01-13-2004 06:27 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.