Old 04-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #169
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Rear Bath Leak Through The Vent Fan.
First, Argosy in 1977 (and maybe other years) used a Dometic Model GY11 vent fan. Some people call it a mushroom fan since it looks like a mushroom. To install it they replaced the plastic cover with a metal one that you can see outside on the roof. They also removed a little plastic switch bracket and mounted the switch and resister (for two speeds) on the cover inside the bath ceiling. The leak occurs as the plastic air impeller degrades with holes and lets rain leak through the fan to the inside. I looked all over the U.S. and found no one that had knowledge of that model fan - not even the Dometic - US office. This fan is available in Europe and Australia. This fan mounts in a 3" diameter hole whereas all other fans require at least a 6" diameter hole. Also Argosy uses a cast spacer (with a 3" hole) between the outer skin and the inner skin. Not wanting to get into a modication hassle, I ordered replacement fan from www.leisurelines.net in Birmingham, UK and received it in the mail about 10 days later. I think that their price was about 100 pound sterling.
I used the new switch and resister since the old switch was intermittent. Other wise it was a direct replacement and does not leak.
Another place for a leak in the bath is the holding tank vent pipe through the roof in the bath closet. The rubber gasket on the outside deteriorates and requires replacement.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Old Vent Fan with bad Impeller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	261606  

Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Box for New GY11 Fan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	261607  
Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #172
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Rear Bath Leak Through The Vent Fan.
First, Argosy in 1977 (and maybe other years) used a Dometic Model GY11 vent fan. Some people call it a mushroom fan since it looks like a mushroom. To install it they replaced the plastic cover with a metal one that you can see outside on the roof. They also removed a little plastic switch bracket and mounted the switch and resister (for two speeds) on the cover inside the bath ceiling. The leak occurs as the plastic air impeller degrades with holes and lets rain leak through the fan to the inside. I looked all over the U.S. and found no one that had knowledge of that model fan - not even the Dometic - US office. This fan is available in Europe and Australia. This fan mounts in a 3" diameter hole whereas all other fans require at least a 6" diameter hole. Also Argosy uses a cast spacer (with a 3" hole) between the outer skin and the inner skin. Not wanting to get into a modication hassle, I ordered replacement fan from www.leisurelines.net in Birmingham, UK and received it in the mail about 10 days later. I think that their price was about 100 pound sterling.
I used the new switch and resister since the old switch was intermittent. Other wise it was a direct replacement and does not leak.
Another place for a leak in the bath is the holding tank vent pipe through the roof in the bath closet. The rubber gasket on the outside deteriorates and requires replacement.
I will give them a call on Tuesday Gregg (Monday is a public holiday in the UK), but I also sent an email to our local Dometic agent (in the UK). They can normal order parts/units direct from Dometic quite quickly.

Denise is in the UK at the moment but travelling over on 10th May (for the Get Together) so the is a chance we can get a couple delivered to our place there and she can carry them over.
Old 05-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #173
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
The expansion valve is inside the evaporator. It is my understanding from the folks at Old Air Products that expansion valves don't care what kind of refrigerant is in the system. They just meter flow to maintain a constant temperature in the evaporator coil. Some of the auto systems that used valves operating on pressure do require changing for 134a. If the valve is not stuck or stopped up, then everything should be OK. If it were me I would leave well enough alone.
While I have removed my dash, I would not want to unless it were really necessary. Should you ever need, let me know and I can relate the steps required.
Gregg
I'll skip the expansion valve replacement at least for now because I can always remove the evaporator with the radiator in place. That gives me a chance to test the ac first.

Thanks.
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #174
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Thanks for the info on the bath fan! Hopefully it will have stopped raining here by the time the fan arrives

Brad
Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #175
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Brad,
Two additional items.

The screws in the headlight assembly that hold the chrome trim around the sealed beam bulbs were just plain steel self threading screws. They were well rusted into place. I had to drill and extract several to get them out. Something that I didn't want to encounter on the road to replace a burned out headlamp. The local hardware store had stainless replacements.

With the radiator out check the power steering pump for leaking around the shaft. Mine was the original from the factory and as I worked on things with running the the engine that old shaft seal stared leaking profusely. With the radiator out of the way access to the pump is much easier.

Gregg
Old 05-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #176
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad,
Two additional items.

The screws in the headlight assembly that hold the chrome trim around the sealed beam bulbs were just plain steel self threading screws. They were well rusted into place. I had to drill and extract several to get them out. Something that I didn't want to encounter on the road to replace a burned out headlamp. The local hardware store had stainless replacements.
Gee, more good news

I haven't even looked at the head lights yet but they probably should be looked at before Peanut hits the road.

Quote:
With the radiator out check the power steering pump for leaking around the shaft. Mine was the original from the factory and as I worked on things with running the the engine that old shaft seal stared leaking profusely. With the radiator out of the way access to the pump is much easier.

Gregg
I keep forgetting to ask Martin if he wants the PS pump changed while I'm in there. I had planned on replacing the water pump for the same reason. No better time than when it's easy access! I think I paid about $60 for my PS pump.

Thanks!

Brad
Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #177
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Gee, more good news

I haven't even looked at the head lights yet but they probably should be looked at before Peanut hits the road.

Brad
When I removed the end grille castings I kept the donor lights attached, so we have some spares.

The sealed units seem relatively inexpensive (H4651 low beam and H4656 high beam units are less than $10 each).
Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #178
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
When I removed the end grille castings I kept the donor lights attached, so we have some spares.

The sealed units seem relatively inexpensive (H4651 low beam and H4656 high beam units are less than $10 each).
Spares are good!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #179
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I taught myself a few new choice words while struggling to remove Peanut's radiator but I'm relieved to say its out

The biggest struggle was the lower radiator hose tube kept hooking on the bottom of the fan shroud as Gregg mentioned it would. I probably fought with it for about an hour before it finally gave up and let me slide it out of there

This is about as far as it would go before the bottom of the fan shroud would hook on the bottom of the radiator.

Name:	peanut-radiator-stuck.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	261716

But it's out and this afternoon I'll be taking it to the radiator shop for surgery.

Name:	peanut-radiator-out.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	261715

Lots of access with the radiator out of the way!

Name:	peanut-radiator-removed.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	261714

After I started trying to lift the radiator out of the chassis I realized that if these two braces had been removed the whole process would have been a whole lot easier. Before the radiator goes back in I'm going to remove the two braces. No sense fighting it both directions.

Name:	peanut-rh-frame-brace.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	261717Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-lh-frame-brace.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	261718

The downside of the removal was the two transmission cooling lines twisted off while trying to remove them. One tube was rusted so bad that just wiggling the tube cause a slight crack. I ended up cutting them off and will have to figure an alternative way to get cooling lines to the radiator.

Not a catastrophe but certainly frustrating.

Brad
Old 05-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #180
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
As I mentioned before, I wonder if those Argosy models would allow radiator removal through bottom as I did on my 79 Excella. Appears to be the identical radiator. It was fairly easy to accomplish and i was able to leave the AC connected. Just a heads up if someone else needs to remove the radiator.
This can not be done on 1981 and later Motorhomes
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pradiator2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	261730  
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #181
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I know Bella's radiator came out from bellow but she was on a ramp at the time.
Old 05-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
As I mentioned before, I wonder if those Argosy models would allow radiator removal through bottom as I did on my 79 Excella. Appears to be the identical radiator. It was fairly easy to accomplish and i was able to leave the AC connected. Just a heads up if someone else needs to remove the radiator.
This can not be done on 1981 and later Motorhomes
Peter, I probably could have dropped it out the bottom. I think the reason I ended up trying the front first was because I had to dismantle the grille anyway for repairs to the right front quarter. The AC wasn't working so one thing led to another and out the front was how it ended up

If the AC had been working I would have reconsidered the method that I used. If I had removed those cross braces the fan shroud wouldn't have been an issue at all. I think with the braces removed it would have almost been easy

It probably would have helped if I'd had someone to lend a hand as well!