Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-30-2016, 07:35 PM   #169
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Rear Bath Leak Through The Vent Fan.
First, Argosy in 1977 (and maybe other years) used a Dometic Model GY11 vent fan. Some people call it a mushroom fan since it looks like a mushroom. To install it they replaced the plastic cover with a metal one that you can see outside on the roof. They also removed a little plastic switch bracket and mounted the switch and resister (for two speeds) on the cover inside the bath ceiling. The leak occurs as the plastic air impeller degrades with holes and lets rain leak through the fan to the inside. I looked all over the U.S. and found no one that had knowledge of that model fan - not even the Dometic - US office. This fan is available in Europe and Australia. This fan mounts in a 3" diameter hole whereas all other fans require at least a 6" diameter hole. Also Argosy uses a cast spacer (with a 3" hole) between the outer skin and the inner skin. Not wanting to get into a modication hassle, I ordered replacement fan from www.leisurelines.net in Birmingham, UK and received it in the mail about 10 days later. I think that their price was about 100 pound sterling.
I used the new switch and resister since the old switch was intermittent. Other wise it was a direct replacement and does not leak.
Another place for a leak in the bath is the holding tank vent pipe through the roof in the bath closet. The rubber gasket on the outside deteriorates and requires replacement.
__________________

__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #170
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Old Vent Fan with bad Impeller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	280.5 KB
ID:	261606  
__________________

__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #171
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Box for New GY11 Fan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	261607  
__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #172
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Rear Bath Leak Through The Vent Fan.
First, Argosy in 1977 (and maybe other years) used a Dometic Model GY11 vent fan. Some people call it a mushroom fan since it looks like a mushroom. To install it they replaced the plastic cover with a metal one that you can see outside on the roof. They also removed a little plastic switch bracket and mounted the switch and resister (for two speeds) on the cover inside the bath ceiling. The leak occurs as the plastic air impeller degrades with holes and lets rain leak through the fan to the inside. I looked all over the U.S. and found no one that had knowledge of that model fan - not even the Dometic - US office. This fan is available in Europe and Australia. This fan mounts in a 3" diameter hole whereas all other fans require at least a 6" diameter hole. Also Argosy uses a cast spacer (with a 3" hole) between the outer skin and the inner skin. Not wanting to get into a modication hassle, I ordered replacement fan from www.leisurelines.net in Birmingham, UK and received it in the mail about 10 days later. I think that their price was about 100 pound sterling.
I used the new switch and resister since the old switch was intermittent. Other wise it was a direct replacement and does not leak.
Another place for a leak in the bath is the holding tank vent pipe through the roof in the bath closet. The rubber gasket on the outside deteriorates and requires replacement.
I will give them a call on Tuesday Gregg (Monday is a public holiday in the UK), but I also sent an email to our local Dometic agent (in the UK). They can normal order parts/units direct from Dometic quite quickly.

Denise is in the UK at the moment but travelling over on 10th May (for the Get Together) so the is a chance we can get a couple delivered to our place there and she can carry them over.
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:07 AM   #173
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
The expansion valve is inside the evaporator. It is my understanding from the folks at Old Air Products that expansion valves don't care what kind of refrigerant is in the system. They just meter flow to maintain a constant temperature in the evaporator coil. Some of the auto systems that used valves operating on pressure do require changing for 134a. If the valve is not stuck or stopped up, then everything should be OK. If it were me I would leave well enough alone.
While I have removed my dash, I would not want to unless it were really necessary. Should you ever need, let me know and I can relate the steps required.
Gregg
I'll skip the expansion valve replacement at least for now because I can always remove the evaporator with the radiator in place. That gives me a chance to test the ac first.

Thanks.
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:16 AM   #174
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,374
Thanks for the info on the bath fan! Hopefully it will have stopped raining here by the time the fan arrives


Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #175
3 Rivet Member
 
1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 101
Brad,
Two additional items.

The screws in the headlight assembly that hold the chrome trim around the sealed beam bulbs were just plain steel self threading screws. They were well rusted into place. I had to drill and extract several to get them out. Something that I didn't want to encounter on the road to replace a burned out headlamp. The local hardware store had stainless replacements.

With the radiator out check the power steering pump for leaking around the shaft. Mine was the original from the factory and as I worked on things with running the the engine that old shaft seal stared leaking profusely. With the radiator out of the way access to the pump is much easier.

Gregg
__________________
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #176
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Brad,
Two additional items.

The screws in the headlight assembly that hold the chrome trim around the sealed beam bulbs were just plain steel self threading screws. They were well rusted into place. I had to drill and extract several to get them out. Something that I didn't want to encounter on the road to replace a burned out headlamp. The local hardware store had stainless replacements.
Gee, more good news

I haven't even looked at the head lights yet but they probably should be looked at before Peanut hits the road.

Quote:
With the radiator out check the power steering pump for leaking around the shaft. Mine was the original from the factory and as I worked on things with running the the engine that old shaft seal stared leaking profusely. With the radiator out of the way access to the pump is much easier.

Gregg
I keep forgetting to ask Martin if he wants the PS pump changed while I'm in there. I had planned on replacing the water pump for the same reason. No better time than when it's easy access! I think I paid about $60 for my PS pump.

Thanks!

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #177
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,698
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Gee, more good news

I haven't even looked at the head lights yet but they probably should be looked at before Peanut hits the road.



Brad
When I removed the end grille castings I kept the donor lights attached, so we have some spares.

The sealed units seem relatively inexpensive (H4651 low beam and H4656 high beam units are less than $10 each).
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 06:59 PM   #178
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
When I removed the end grille castings I kept the donor lights attached, so we have some spares.

The sealed units seem relatively inexpensive (H4651 low beam and H4656 high beam units are less than $10 each).
Spares are good!
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:19 AM   #179
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,374
I taught myself a few new choice words while struggling to remove Peanut's radiator but I'm relieved to say its out

The biggest struggle was the lower radiator hose tube kept hooking on the bottom of the fan shroud as Gregg mentioned it would. I probably fought with it for about an hour before it finally gave up and let me slide it out of there

This is about as far as it would go before the bottom of the fan shroud would hook on the bottom of the radiator.
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-radiator-stuck.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	261716

But it's out and this afternoon I'll be taking it to the radiator shop for surgery.
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-radiator-out.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	556.2 KB
ID:	261715

Lots of access with the radiator out of the way!
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-radiator-removed.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	261714


After I started trying to lift the radiator out of the chassis I realized that if these two braces had been removed the whole process would have been a whole lot easier. Before the radiator goes back in I'm going to remove the two braces. No sense fighting it both directions.
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-rh-frame-brace.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	285.8 KB
ID:	261717Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-lh-frame-brace.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	261718

The downside of the removal was the two transmission cooling lines twisted off while trying to remove them. One tube was rusted so bad that just wiggling the tube cause a slight crack. I ended up cutting them off and will have to figure an alternative way to get cooling lines to the radiator.

Not a catastrophe but certainly frustrating.


Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:48 PM   #180
Airstream Driver
 
PeterH-Airstreamer's Avatar

 
1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,139
Images: 51
As I mentioned before, I wonder if those Argosy models would allow radiator removal through bottom as I did on my 79 Excella. Appears to be the identical radiator. It was fairly easy to accomplish and i was able to leave the AC connected. Just a heads up if someone else needs to remove the radiator.
This can not be done on 1981 and later Motorhomes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pradiator2.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	261730  
__________________
1983 310 Classic Motorhome
1997 30' Excella Trailer
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:54 PM   #181
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,698
I know Bella's radiator came out from bellow but she was on a ramp at the time.
__________________
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:13 PM   #182
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
As I mentioned before, I wonder if those Argosy models would allow radiator removal through bottom as I did on my 79 Excella. Appears to be the identical radiator. It was fairly easy to accomplish and i was able to leave the AC connected. Just a heads up if someone else needs to remove the radiator.
This can not be done on 1981 and later Motorhomes
Peter, I probably could have dropped it out the bottom. I think the reason I ended up trying the front first was because I had to dismantle the grille anyway for repairs to the right front quarter. The AC wasn't working so one thing led to another and out the front was how it ended up

If the AC had been working I would have reconsidered the method that I used. If I had removed those cross braces the fan shroud wouldn't have been an issue at all. I think with the braces removed it would have almost been easy

It probably would have helped if I'd had someone to lend a hand as well!
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vintage travel trailer canned ham? peanut? shasta? not airstream old camper look eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 04-01-2012 07:30 PM
1971 peanut travel trailer small 10ft not airstream eBay Watch Airstreams on eBay 0 06-23-2009 02:40 PM
Pink Flamingo Lives Wayne&Sam Off Topic Forum 8 06-02-2007 06:55 AM
Airstream Hype lives on! Sneakinup Trailer Values 9 08-24-2005 12:14 AM
Airstreamphotos Lives! j54mark Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 0 01-13-2004 06:27 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.