Old 04-30-2016, 01:05 PM   #155
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
It's a little clearer on a an old photo of Peanut during the 'Balgrn years'.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #156
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
When it rains outside in rains inside

Unfortunately Peanut leaks like a sieve especially up front around the windshield. There is a constant fast drip from the rear view mirror that's pretty impressive. Not sure where it's coming from but my guess is at a minimum the overhead light housings need sealing and I would imagine the windshield gasket is probably a big cause as well. I also found that the bathroom ceiling vent is apparently busted as there's a nice puddle of water on the floor in the bathroom and I can see day light when looking up
Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-windshield-leak-one-of.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	222.2 KB
ID:	261590Click image for larger version

Name:	peanut-leak-passenger-floor.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	261588

The AC compressor is now removed and that gave a better view of the radiator core and it's not looking to good. But we were sort of expecting that.

Name:	peanut-radiator-stains.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	261586

The steel fuel line running from the fuel pump to the carburetor has been cut and a section replaced with a rubber hose. I have a spare tube laying around so we'll replace the old one with my spare. I don't like the idea of a rubber fuel hose in that area.

Name:	peanut-fuel-line-splice.jpg
Size:	369.0 KB
ID:	261587

A bit of good news for a change is the two AC hoses to the evaporator appear to be relatively easy to get to. I'll have to remove the passenger seat to get proper access (and if you believe Peter I'll probably have to remove the aluminum skin on the drivers side as well!) but I think I should be able to get wrenches in there.

Name:	peanut-evaporator-access.jpg
Size:	343.2 KB
ID:	261589

And finally this is how things look so far

Name:	peanut-ac-compressor-removed.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	261585

I still have to disconnect the lower radiator hose, transmission cooler lines, the bottom two shroud bolts, two bolts on the oil filler tube and the final four mounting screws for the radiator frame. Since it's raining and I don't feel like laying in the rain I probably won't get to these last items until tomorrow or Monday depending on the weather.

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #157
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
A bit of good news for a change is the two AC hoses to the evaporator appear to be relatively easy to get to. I'll have to remove the passenger seat to get proper access (and if you believe Peter I'll probably have to remove the aluminum skin on the drivers side as well!) but I think I should be able to get wrenches in there.
and the rear axle ??? You are making that up to make to cloud the truth....
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #158
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
and the rear axle ??? You are making that up to make to cloud the truth....
Peanut doesn't need a rear axle. I think Martin is just going to park it here and use it as a home base
Old 04-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #159
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
When it rains outside in rains inside

Unfortunately Peanut leaks like a sieve especially up front around the windshield. There is a constant fast drip from the rear view mirror that's pretty impressive. Not sure where it's coming from but my guess is at a minimum the overhead light housings need sealing and I would imagine the windshield gasket is probably a big cause as well. I also found that the bathroom ceiling vent is apparently busted as there's a nice puddle of water on the floor in the bathroom and I can see day light when looking up
Attachment 261590Attachment 261588

The AC compressor is now removed and that gave a better view of the radiator core and it's not looking to good. But we were sort of expecting that.
Attachment 261586

The steel fuel line running from the fuel pump to the carburetor has been cut and a section replaced with a rubber hose. I have a spare tube laying around so we'll replace the old one with my spare. I don't like the idea of a rubber fuel hose in that area.
Attachment 261587

Attachment 261589

And finally this is how things look so far
Attachment 261585

I still have to disconnect the lower radiator hose, transmission cooler lines, the bottom two shroud bolts, two bolts on the oil filler tube and the final four mounting screws for the radiator frame. Since it's raining and I don't feel like laying in the rain I probably won't get to these last items until tomorrow or Monday depending on the weather.
I am coming to the conclusion that Brad prefers the look of these motorhomes in pieces.....and Peanut looks more like his motorhome everyday!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #160
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I am coming to the conclusion that Brad prefers the look of these motorhomes in pieces.....and Peanut looks more like his motorhome everyday!
SHOTS FIRED!!! PING,PIONG, PING!

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:23 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Damn....busted

Old 04-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #162
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Damn....busted

Just gotta buy two of everything we need!
Old 04-30-2016, 04:12 PM   #163
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Just gotta buy two of everything we need!
So far that pretty much seems to be what's been happening
Old 04-30-2016, 04:37 PM   #164
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Brad,
Your picture answers your question on access to the lines at evaporator. The liquid line comes straight up from the receiver/drier makes a right angle bend and connects to evaporator. The suction line comes straight through the firewall and also connects to the evaporator. The suction line has a rubber grommet around it with some kind of removable sealant. The liquid line also has some sealant along with a little filler plate to close the hole. FYI the evaporator is held in place by two brackets on the back that are bolted through the firewall from the outside and covered by sealant.
In the case of peanut the evaporator will probably work fine as long as it is clean. There is an expansion valve in the evaporator.
Gregg
Old 04-30-2016, 04:55 PM   #165
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
On Peanut's water leaks. My 20 had leaks in the same way after sitting for a number years.
The Front Leak:
On my unit I sealed two areas. I had to strip, primer, and repaint the end cap. The aluminum lamp housings sitting against the galvanized steel were rusty. After cleaning and painting, I put a cork gasket between the lamp housing and painted end cap with butyl calk at the screw holes and the wiring hole.
The second area was the windshield gasket. It was the original gasket. I carefully cleaned the surface of the metal up to the rubber prior to painting. The rubber was masked during painting. After the paint throughly dried, then I masked again and used a small putty knife to slightly lift the rubber gasket and seal with 3M 08609 Urethane window sealant. I have been through a number of hard rains without any leaks.

The rear bath leak through the vent fan on the next post.
Gregg
Old 04-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #166
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
Brad,
Your picture answers your question on access to the lines at evaporator. The liquid line comes straight up from the receiver/drier makes a right angle bend and connects to evaporator. The suction line comes straight through the firewall and also connects to the evaporator. The suction line has a rubber grommet around it with some kind of removable sealant. The liquid line also has some sealant along with a little filler plate to close the hole. FYI the evaporator is held in place by two brackets on the back that are bolted through the firewall from the outside and covered by sealant.
In the case of peanut the evaporator will probably work fine as long as it is clean. There is an expansion valve in the evaporator.
Gregg
Gregg, thanks for the info. From the looks of it the expansion valve is inside the black housing which would mean removal of the evaporator box to get at it. The question is, is it worth all the effort to replace the expansion valve? That's one of those questions I can't answer

I think the dash top would have to come out to get to it and that would really suck!
Old 04-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #167
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
On Peanut's water leaks. My 20 had leaks in the same way after sitting for a number years.
The Front Leak:
On my unit I sealed two areas. I had to strip, primer, and repaint the end cap. The aluminum lamp housings sitting against the galvanized steel were rusty. After cleaning and painting, I put a cork gasket between the lamp housing and painted end cap with butyl calk at the screw holes and the wiring hole.
The second area was the windshield gasket. It was the original gasket. I carefully cleaned the surface of the metal up to the rubber prior to painting. The rubber was masked during painting. After the paint throughly dried, then I masked again and used a small putty knife to slightly lift the rubber gasket and seal with 3M 08609 Urethane window sealant. I have been through a number of hard rains without any leaks.

The rear bath leak through the vent fan on the next post.
Gregg
The leaks you're describing are pretty much the same ones I had on my 74 Argosy. Basically just time and labor to fix.
Old 04-30-2016, 06:13 PM   #168
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
The expansion valve is inside the evaporator. It is my understanding from the folks at Old Air Products that expansion valves don't care what kind of refrigerant is in the system. They just meter flow to maintain a constant temperature in the evaporator coil. Some of the auto systems that used valves operating on pressure do require changing for 134a. If the valve is not stuck or stopped up, then everything should be OK. If it were me I would leave well enough alone.
While I have removed my dash, I would not want to unless it were really necessary. Should you ever need, let me know and I can relate the steps required.
Gregg