Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
Parking brake wire color and reverse lights

I need some help. 1976 28ft moho. I think I have read every thread here, but correct me if I missed something. I have read the chassis manual and still I canít find these two pieces of info:

What color is the wire that comes off the parking brake light switch? Someone who owned the vehicle before ripped this off and the light does not work.

Where does the switch for the reverse lights sit? The chassis manual claims it is on the transmission, but I could not find it, perhaps I am blind.

Thanks in advance! We camped in the driveway two weeks ago and it is going on itís inaugural camping trip in two weeks from now. Itís insane how much work Iíve put into this thing so far. We wonít have plumbing ready or the propane appliances working yet for the trip. Those are the final pieces to getting this thing finished.

I bought it two months ago and so far Iíve done the following:

Alternator
New Batteries
Added cut off switch
All new battery cables
All LED Interior lighting
Refurbished power step
Replaced subfloor inside step area
New battery charger (old caught fire)
Serviced generator
New fuel lines
New Air conditioner
Rewired everything under the dash (rats)
New suspension

In progress:

New curtains
Window seals and fuzzy schlegle
Adding battery compartment and switch to rear with two extra batteries
New vinyl inserts everywhere
New t-mouldings
Repairing all cabinets and slides to work as original
Removing wall paper stuff and painting bathroom
Plumbing overhaul
Propane system overhaul

Itís getting there. Thanks for your help!

SMichaelG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Welcome to Airforums! After reading this post I found your original post where you discussed purchasing the Argosy and driving it home from Illinois. Sounds like you had quite the trip

I can't help you with the parking brake wire color. On my 74 Argosy the switch is up under the dash but on your 76 I'm betting the parking brake lever is located elsewhere.

I believe the reverse switch should be located on the steering column. If I'm not mistaken the switch would be located on the back side of the column around where it is clamped to the dash. I think the switch contains the neutral safety switch and the reverse switch contacts.

I don't know that this neutral safety/reverse switch is the correct unit for your rig but it looks similar.

Definitely post pictures of your Argosy.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Katy , Texas
I am not sure on the switch. It seems somewhere in 76 they changed to a different setup, and in 77, they all have the switch you listed. I will have to just start taking things apart and testing wires with my volt meter. I certainly will post pictures of it soon. Itís almost in the photogenic stage. It was ugly, covered in mildew, curtains rotted, all plastics were sticky, it was a mess. This week I got it inspected and legal for the road. I drove it down with a drive out permit from Illinois which did not require an inspection. Talk about sketchy.

I have a couple sets of paperwork that somebody here might want. I ripped the old Armstrong AC off and put on a new Dometic, so I have the Armstrong 23 page instruction guide if anyone wants it. Iíll send it for free to anyone here who wants it. I also have the original Motorola 8-track radio booklet if anyone wants that. Mine was replaced by a Toshiba tape deck many moons ago, so I have no use for the manual. Let me know if anyone wants either of them. Pictures of each are attached to this post.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4FBA953F-F357-4E04-88B0-8AA673DBDAB5.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	288.6 KB
ID:	316591   Click image for larger version

Name:	8FB27CE4-1322-4A8D-950A-7F0D04D4FD8C.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	331.2 KB
ID:	316592  

SMichaelG2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The only other place the reverse switch will be found is on the side of the transmission near where the shift linkage connects. On my 74 I believe that's where it was originally located but I can't prove it because the original transmission and engine were missing when I bought it. In my Argosy I ended up using a complete steering column from an 86 345 and it had the switch on the column.

I don't know where the break point is for moving the switch from the transmission to the column. If your steering column doesn't have a hole in the back side below where it clamps to the dash then your switch would have probably been on the transmission.

You can see the switch just below where the column is bolted to the dash.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160910_094233.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	292.5 KB
ID:	316606

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote