Old 10-14-2019, 08:56 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Onan 4.0 BF Generator Fuel pump

After playing with the original generator in my 77 over the weekend I found I need to replace the fuel pump. The original was replaced at some point in it's life but is not sufficient for the job. Maybe that's why it only has 450 hours on it?
My question for anyone with an original Onan, what fuel pump have you replaced the original with? Most small electric pumps I've been researching are flood type, or very minimal lift capabilities.

cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 09:55 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
Onan 4.0 BF Generator

I had to replace the fuel pump on my 77 Argosy about 3 years ago. The original fuel pump was made by Onan and had their logo cast on the side of the housing. It is my understanding that those original Onan fuel pumps are no longer available and that Onan has gone to an outside supplier for their fuel pumps. I replaced the original fuel pump over 20 years ago and even though it came in an Onan parts box, it was from the outside supplier source. When I replaced the pump about three years ago it was from the same outside suppler. It is dark here right now and raining, but tomorrow I will go out in the daylight and get the brand name and part number for you.

By the way I purchased this Argosy when it was one year old. When my Onan was new it was finicky to start at times. As time went by it would stop running when out side temperature would rise in the upper 90s. Just when AC was really needed. Three years ago, I decided to try to really work it over. The new fuel pump was one of the replaced components along with plugs, spark coil, points, among other things. After soaking the carburetor and setting all of the adjustments precisely by the manual, the unit starts easily and runs all of the time. The weather can be really hot or cold and the unit can be sitting for several weeks, but it now readily starts and runs without issue.

GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
I replaced my fuel pump for my Onan 4.0 with Cummins-Onan 149-1828
Old 10-15-2019, 03:25 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
The original Onan part number for the fuel pump was 149-1304 which was superseded by Onan part number 149-1828. The newer part number is for a Facet pump. The Facet part number for this pump is 40131E and is available from multiple sources. It operates at 4 - 5.5 psi. Onan is now owned by Cummings and they can order from their warehouse in one of the southern states almost all of the parts for these older generators.
GWallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWallace View Post
....It operates at 4 - 5.5 psi. Onan is now owned by Cummings and they can order from their warehouse in one of the southern states almost all of the parts for these older generators.
Wow!

I would think 4-5.5 psi seems awfully high. I'd expect to use something in the 2-3 psi range.

I'll have to look at the pump on my Onan 6.5 to see what it's using.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:51 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Convert to LP and do away with the fuel pump, and gummed up carburetors, stale fuel.......

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 04:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Convert to LP and do away with the fuel pump, and gummed up carburetors, stale fuel.......

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Is that even worth it on a 37 year old (mine) GenSet? Would like to do that to mine, but would really like to put a brand new "quiet" GenSet on the MH.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
1977 28' Argosy 28
North Port , Florida
Thanks guys for the quick responses. I contacted Cummins yesterday and they were able to send me all of the manuals for this particular generator. As Brad has mentioned the original pump was only 2.75- 3.5 psi. With the replacement pump putting out close to 6 I figured this would be too much for the needle and just push through causing flooding issues.
The other issue I found with the current pump was the lack of suction capabilities. I couldn't get it to suck fuel from a gas can directly outside the enclosure.
So I ordered a Facet 60300, 2.5-4psi working range with a 60" lift capability. Hoping I shouldn't have any issues sucking fuel from the coach's tank with that. At the same time for less than $40 it's worth a try.
Also, if anyone is in need of parts for their genny, contact SR Sales in Wisconsin as they purchased most of this era generator parts from Cummins. I was able to get a rubber inlet adapter as mine cracked when trying to remove it over the weekend.
cliffcharb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:43 AM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Is that even worth it on a 37 year old (mine) GenSet? Would like to do that to mine, but would really like to put a brand new "quiet" GenSet on the MH.
A PO replaced my OEM unit with an Onan Marquis Gold 6500LP, so I lucked out there; runs quieter and no need for mucking about with stale gas.

How much to convert an existing generator to LP? I don't think the gen parts are much at all as the whole system is low pressure; just a PITA to run the LP line I guess.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
A PO replaced my OEM unit with an Onan Marquis Gold 6500LP, so I lucked out there; runs quieter and no need for mucking about with stale gas.

How much to convert an existing generator to LP? I don't think the gen parts are much at all as the whole system is low pressure; just a PITA to run the LP line I guess.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
An LPG generator on my 20' would not be practical. The LPG tank is 9.8 gallons. If I switched over to LPG for the 454 as well then I could replace the 45 gallon fuel tank but I have no plans on doing so.

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote