Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-19-2014, 06:12 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
Arlington , Indiana
New member here...

Last fall I bought a 1977 Argosy 24ft. rear bath. This RV belonged to a family friend who recently passed away. In spite of him not using the RV for several years I decided to purchase. Took quite a while to get running so I could make the 20 mile drive back home. I replaced the plugs and wires new fuel pump and battery, started right up bad manifold and all, drove the 20 miles and basically let it sit over the winter.

I have recently completed the tune up and replaced both manifolds, master cylinder, exhaust work not to mention some electrical issues. mechanically the coach is sound now. I have one huge issue I need to take care of, I have a broken window. I have searched the forum and understand that buying a new window will be impossible. The window I an referring to is the non moving side of one of the sliders. My question is I believe I can fabricate a new pain from lexan but, does the window and frame need to be removed from the coach to install? Is there a way to remove the aluminum in the center of the window unit to slide the new pain into?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I plan on adding some pics very soon. I have really enjoyed reading all of the posts, very informative and sometime amusing.

Thanks,

Paul
Streamline 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:09 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Try putting an ad in the classifieds section and on craigslist. Someone out there might have the right window for you.

I once saw a place where you could order those replacement windows, let me try to dig that up again.
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
Arlington , Indiana
Thanks for the reply, I see you are from upstate NY, I grew up on the St. Lawrence river and left NY 20 years ago. I guess my question is still the same, even if I find the right window, can I replace with out removing the frame from the RV? There is an aluminum piece at the rear of the stationary window, my thought is remove that and replace window and re install. Not sure if this is possible with out removing window frame.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Based on the pictures that I have available at work, it doesn't look that way. If I remember to look when I get home I can see how it looks on mine.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Airstream Forums mobile app
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Paul,

You're correct, the fixed panes in the cockpit windows are no longer available. A piece of lexan is about the only fix. As for actually replacing it I'm 95% certain you're going to have to remove the whole cockpit window assembly to do the repair. The diagonal aluminum center bar is held in by screws top and bottom that are only accessible when the window frame assembly is removed from the coach.

Somewhere I should have pictures of what the assembly looks like removed and I might have some showing the screws in the aluminum bar. I'll do some digging tonight to see if I can locate them.

A year or so ago I parted out a 1986 345 and I could retire now if I had as many of those windows to sell as people have requested from me

I'm not sure what it takes to have windows made but it sure would be nice if one of the vendors took on that project. When you consider that for each Argosy/Classic motorhome that was built, the windshields and those two cockpit windows are the rarest windows of all. All of the other windows were at least provided in multiple quantities so that means in general there are more available as spares.

Good luck with your repair

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 24' Argosy 24
Arlington , Indiana
Window removal

Brad,

That is what I thought but I guess I needed someone to tell me the window needed to be removed. I must clarify, this is not the cockpit window. This is the roadside window behind the couch. I guess it makes no difference but it will be a tad bit easier to fabricate. Not really looking forward to the removal but it is probably next on my list of things to do.

Thanks for your input,

Paul
Old 05-20-2014, 04:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streamline 6 View Post
Brad,

That is what I thought but I guess I needed someone to tell me the window needed to be removed. I must clarify, this is not the cockpit window. This is the roadside window behind the couch. I guess it makes no difference but it will be a tad bit easier to fabricate. Not really looking forward to the removal but it is probably next on my list of things to do.

Thanks for your input,

Paul
Paul,

You may be in luck. PM sent to you with more info.

I will also try and verify whether the fixed pain can be removed without pulling the whole window.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote