Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Southern Comfort

Need spare tire rack

I know this is silly but the only thing missing from my 78 Argosy 28 is a spare tire and spare tire rack. I had an idea of welding one that would slide into my reese hitch and still leave an extension for a ball. Does sound viable or would weight be an issue if so does anyone know were I could find a rack?

Ray
Southern Comfort
Ray Pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need spare tire rack

Greetings Ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pena
I know this is silly but the only thing missing from my 78 Argosy 28 is a spare tire and spare tire rack. I had an idea of welding one that would slide into my reese hitch and still leave an extension for a ball. Does sound viable or would weight be an issue if so does anyone know were I could find a rack?

Ray
Southern Comfort
You might want to steer clear of anything that will change the hitch geometry -- it is amazing how just four inches can make when it is added to the extension of the drawbar -- my 26' coach objected strenuously when it was hitched to my K1500 Z-71 Club Cab pickup with the extended drawbar that I had utilized with my conversion van so that the LP tanks would clear the rear-door mounted spare on the van (the extra length on the drawbar induced a much greater tendency for the trailer to "wiggle" when underway that was solved by going back to a standard extension drawbar).

There are typically two options for spare tire mounts with the 1970's Argosy coaches. The first is to utilize the current mount that is found on new Airstreams -- below and behind the hitch that requires cutting an opening in the bellypan. The second is to mount the carrier behind the LP tanks as was done with the coaches when they were new (this may require repositioning of the LP tank carrier on some coaches). Having one of the behind-the-tanks carriers fabricated is on my to-do list for the Minuet.

Good luck with your project!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:24 PM   #3
Southern Comfort

Hey Kevin, thanks your're probably right about hitch geometry, but I should have clarified my self and said it is a Motorhome. Do you think Airstream still manufactures the rack that used to mount on the bumper?

Ray
Southern Comfort
Ray Pena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:32 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Need spare tire rack

Greetings Ray!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pena
Hey Kevin, thanks your're probably right about hitch geometry, but I should have clarified my self and said it is a Motorhome. Do you think Airstream still manufactures the rack that used to mount on the bumper?

Ray
Southern Comfort
I didn't check the Forum where posted before posting a reply .

I have seen several different mounting methods utilized on Argosy motorhomes. At least three of the four that I remember were quite generic and could likely be sourced from a number of different places. The one that I suspect was a factory installed option was quite similar to those on the Airstream motorhomes with the spare tire cover that was made to compliment the lines of the coach.

You might check with Colaws in Carthage, MO to see if they might have a spare tire carrier for an Argosy motorhome -- they often have various Argosy and Airstream products in their salvage yard.

Good luck with your research and search!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is online now   Reply With Quote