Old 07-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #85
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Here she is, all hooked up. I took it about ten miles and did just fine. A little sluggish but fine!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130722_190154.png
Views:	84
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	191445

Old 07-22-2013, 06:10 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Cool

I'm betting you'll find that all the hard work you've done to the Argosy was worth it.

If it seems sluggish it's likely because from the factory it wasn't really tuned for performance. Get some good headers with a decent flowing exhaust and a better ignition and you might see a little more oomph. We tow a 3500 lb race car/trailer combo behind the 310 and even in the mountains of West Virginia and Maryland it's not been a major issue. Yeah you lose some speed but overall it's not bad.

Did you add an electric brake controller for the trailer brakes? That's probably the only thing I would caution about. I found in the 310 if the trailer brakes aren't working for some reason you know it pretty quick when trying to slow down.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #87
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Brad,
As far as the ignition goes, the timing is not right. When I was going up hill I noticed that the engine was missing on one cylinder. I've got a brand new distributor sitting on the front seat, once I get the interior a little further then I will throw it in.

There is a brake controller in it but I disconnected it when I redid the brake lines. It was an older type that connected right to the brake lines but I am planning on getting one. That also means that I should put brakes on my boat trailer because there are none. I was surprised when I bought the boat that there were none because the whole package weighs well over 4000lbs.

With that being said, I was impressed at how well it stopped. I knew that the boat was back there but I didn't have that "oh sh*t" feeling like I do when the boat is hauled with my Town Car. Yes, a Lincoln TC. I think the argosy will be fine without trailer brakes (for now) but I will definitely put them on.
Old 07-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt,

Seven cylinders might get you there but not near as fast as eight would! If you can find a way I'd suggest putting the new distributor in before you leave. You might find it a more enjoyable trip if it was running better.

I've bought from Etrailer before and was happy with their prices. I've never been a fan of trailer brakes that tie directly into the vehicle brake lines. To me that just seems like a recipe for disaster.

That really surprises me that your boat trailer doesn't have brakes. I think most state laws require brakes on trailers over 2000 lbs.

Brad
Old 07-22-2013, 07:00 PM   #89
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
I'm not a fan of the brakes that tie in directly either, that's why I removed it. The less that I have to deal with vehicle brakes the better.

As far as the trailer brake go I am totally in your side. My boat trailer was originally made for a much larger boat but was chopped off just after the rear axle. Both axles were replaced but brakes were never put back on it. My truck has fairly heavy duty brakes so I never bothered to invest in them for the trailer.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt,

You can read about our trip of a lifetime and you'll know why I'm a big fan of trailer brakes

I used to like the inertial brake controllers until I tried to make a slow moving stop down an icy hill in a small town towing a trailer with a dodge power wagon on back. Since I was going so slow the inertial brake controller didn't kick in and I had enough weight to push me right through the intersection.

My next brake controller will not be the inertial type!

Brad
Old 07-24-2013, 12:58 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Most boat trailers use surge brakes and don't need a brake controller.

Electric drum brakes don't seem to do well when dunked in water on a regular basis (at least not salt water like where I normally fish) if you are thinking about putting them on your boat trailer.

Hydraulic disc is best to use, either with surge or electric over hydraulic (which would need a brake controller).
Old 07-24-2013, 07:22 PM   #92
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
We are all fresh water up here in the finger lakes however I would still get the hydraulic brakes for the boat. right now I am leaving the trailer the way it is because my truck does a fine job stopping it.

I do plan to get a nice brake controller for the argosy because I would like to haul my wife's car behind it when the boat in not in tow.

On a side note, I managed to almost finish the cabinet for the fridge today. It is all assembled except for the top. For someone that has never done any wood working before I am impressed with myself. pictures will follow soon
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Here is a picture of my 95% finished cabinet. Just missing the top.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130725_100103.png
Views:	98
Size:	334.6 KB
ID:	191678
Old 07-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #94
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Today I took some time to get the new distributor installed after the poor performance that I had while towing the boat. And I am glad that I did it. The install did not take too long and went easier than I had anticipated, first time that happened since I have owned it. The only trouble that I am having is that there is no easy way to see the timing marks and I did not see any marks on the underside of the engine. Looks like I am going to have to do some research on this. I know that I started a thread a while back about the issue so it looks like I will have to revisit it.

Anyway, the engine fired up right away and I adjusted the distributor to the sound that I thought was best. Since it was dangerously low on fuel I took it for a spin to pump in $75 worth of gas (just over 19 gallons) and did a little tour around the village. We have some steep hills here so I tried it out there and she seemed to have plenty of power compared to before.

Finally something goes right!
Old 07-31-2013, 05:43 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt, glad to hear the new distributor helped.

Hopefully others will chime in but from what I remember the critical thing to setting timing is making sure you're not pinging under load. There are ways to set your timing by looking at vacuum readings and you can also try and find a lower timing mark and install it.

The lower timing mark is installed at the lower right (when facing the water pump) of the engine. It's mounted to two of the oil pan mounting bolts.

I just checked on ebay and didn't find any listings.

Brad
Old 07-31-2013, 06:11 AM   #96
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Brad,
I've been looking for those timing marks and have yet to see any pop up. I have to take the front wheel off some time soon so I am going to see if I can get a small mirror into the opening so I can look at the timing marks on top. In not too concerned right now because it is running pretty good. I wish I would have done this a while back.

Now to get the carb tuned up so she ain't running rich and I'll be good to go.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:31 AM   #97
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Loosen the distributor, start it, put it in gear with your foot on the brake and adjust it so it does not ping when the gas pedal is on the floor. Don't hold the gas down long or you will overheat your transmission. Tighten the distributor bolt. Sometimes with the crappy 87 octane gas it is going to ping under full load no matter what you do.

Perry
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 PM   #98
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
I finally went to pick up my toilet that was waiting at the local RV dealership. When I acquired the RV, it had nothing in the bathroom so I had been looking at posts for a while that talk about suitable replacements. Like most people had decided, I bought the Thetford Aqumagic V low profile white foot flush toilet. The tub that I have in my Argosy does not allow for a perfect fit but if I push back the front of the toilet a little, it will scoot right in there and bolt down nicely. I did not have the right plumbing parts for it so I will pick up the right hoses and adapter tomorrow. I know that its white and everything else is not but I plan to paint the bathroom to bath the toilet. I can't stand the look of all the original plastic in the Argosy!

At least I have a toilet!

Name:	2013-08-05 20.27.29.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	446.1 KB
ID:	192526