Old 03-31-2013, 11:04 AM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
78 Argosy 24 Vent Fan

Need input with a situation found on a bath vent in this '78 moho. The old vent was toast so when got the old one out, found that both wires that fed it are black. Don't know if this has been tampered with by POs as much of the 12 volt stuff seems to have been and couldn't see far enough back to figure that out. Used a small tester on the existing wires, the kind that has a clip on ground and it lights up, and thought that we found the hot wire.

Just to directly test the fan, jumpered the wires before crimping together and the fan works fine. Swapped the wires and jumpered them again and the fan still works fine. Reversing seemed to have no negative effect on the fan even though it has the standard black and white wires for hooking up. Does this mean that polarity doesn't matter here or what are we missing?? Thanks for ideas!!! tb

Old 03-31-2013, 11:40 AM   #72
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Tb,
In my moho I have the switch below the sink for the vent fan. One wire comes from the 12v source and the other is the wire to the motor. The negative wire on my fan motor connects to the moho body. I don't really see a way to reverse the polarity on mine. Hope this helps!
Matt

Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
vent fan assembly

Thanks Matt. This one has the push button switch built into the fan body, old one was the same. No ground to body. Pressing on with the adventure.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #74
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbender View Post
Thanks Matt. This one has the push button switch built into the fan body, old one was the same. No ground to body. Pressing on with the adventure.
Mine is quite a bit different. I have a duct opening next to the toilet with a knob you turn to enable the motor. The fan is actually under the seat of the shower and vents through the roof.

Since you have a dc motor, if you reverse polarity then you will reverse the direction the more spins. Make sure you have it blowing out!
Old 04-26-2013, 09:25 AM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
It's been a while since I have been on here so here is my progress for the past few weeks....

Most of my time has been dedicated to my car and its electrical issues. I've got a '98 Lincoln Town Car that is my daily driver and it has been running great ever since I bought it 3 years ago. 2 weeks ago I noticed that the built in garage door opener was not working nor were my climate controls. Upon further investigation a few days later I found that my tail lights, lock up torque converter, interior lights, head lights ( I hadn't driven it at night those few days) and a bunch of other small things were not working either. Thankfully I didn't get a ticket. After a full week of ohming out wires and trying to figure out how all the wires run, because I had no wiring diagrams, I found the broken wire. It was in a harness that contained 50+ other wires that ran through the firewall, only trick part was that the break was between the driver's wheel well and the firewall... at the bottom. I ended up pulling the wire from the harness and splicing it back in. Problem solved!

Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-05-20_18-59-38_457.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	184257

Now on to the Argosy... I have been rather busy with it as well. I ended up tearing my step apart because I wanted to replace the cracked plastic. Well, once I got that out I saw what was left of the step and decided to just tear the whole thing apart. Mice had made a home in there and their pee ended up rotting away the aluminum that was under the wood. This exposure plus the other liquids in the area had eaten away at the wood as well. I ended up pulling everything out and rebuilding it with some 3/4" ply that I had sitting around, it is rather sturdy now and sealed up well.

I also decided to take off the AC cover and clean out the bee nests, there were quite a few. It was a little tricky trying to get it off without climbing on the room and with only one person. But it is all clean now!

Name:	IMG_20130421_123536.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	442.3 KB
ID:	184251

Name:	IMG_20130421_123541.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	395.9 KB
ID:	184252
Lastly, I managed to get my engine oil cooling system removed. Such a messy job! Right now I am in the process of installing a heavy duty oil cooler to replace the old factory equipment.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #76
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
So over the weekend I managed to get a little more done. The front of the motorhome now has all new rubber brake lines. I took some time on Saturday to replace those prior to working on my wifes car (wheel bearing). The lines came out rather easily and nothing metal cracked. I can now build up pressure, however, it only lasts a short time. I thought it was the master cylinder but I found the brake controller is plumbed into the brake system. When I first brought the motorhome back then entire brake system had bled out (leaky wheel cylinders and bad rubber hose). I managed to get all that fixed but I never bled the brake controller. I will have to try that this evening and hopefully it will fix the issue.

The other thing I managed to get done is assemble my tail light and get it mounted on the back end. All lights were working, which made me happy! She is now road ready (once the brakes get bled) and hopefully I will be driving her by Friday!!
Old 04-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #77
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
...I also decided to take off the AC cover and clean out the bee nests, there were quite a few. It was a little tricky trying to get it off without climbing on the room and with only one person. But it is all clean now!

Attachment 184251
Matt, If I'd have known you were collecting wasps nests I would have saved the ones from my Argosy and mailed them to you

It's amazing how pervasive those critters are.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
So over the weekend I managed to get a little more done. The front of the motorhome now has all new rubber brake lines. I took some time on Saturday to replace those prior to working on my wifes car (wheel bearing). The lines came out rather easily and nothing metal cracked. I can now build up pressure, however, it only lasts a short time. I thought it was the master cylinder but I found the brake controller is plumbed into the brake system. When I first brought the motorhome back then entire brake system had bled out (leaky wheel cylinders and bad rubber hose). I managed to get all that fixed but I never bled the brake controller. I will have to try that this evening and hopefully it will fix the issue.
Brake controller? Do you mean the hydroboost unit? The hydroboost provides the power assist for the brake master cylinder.

I'm guessing you have internal bleed by inside the brake master cylinder. Or there is still sufficient air in the brake system to make it feel spongy. I know on our 310 it took the shop I took it too forever to get the brakes working properly but that's a whole different story

Master cylinders for these rigs aren't two expensive. I paid $22 at OReilly's about 5 years ago. It might be worth your time just to replace it so you don't have to worry about it failing down the road.

Quote:
The other thing I managed to get done is assemble my tail light and get it mounted on the back end. All lights were working, which made me happy! She is now road ready (once the brakes get bled) and hopefully I will be driving her by Friday!!
Cool !
Old 04-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #79
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post

Brake controller? Do you mean the hydroboost unit? The hydroboost provides the power assist for the brake master cylinder.

I'm guessing you have internal bleed by inside the brake master cylinder. Or there is still sufficient air in the brake system to make it feel spongy.

Cool !
Brad,
I have a trailer brake controller on my argosy that uses the brake pressure to brake the trailer. I was going to remove it totally but it's hard wired into the brake light circuit and I would lose tail lights. Eventually I will take it out but I want to drive the darn thing to test the drive train. Once I bled the controller I noticed a big difference but still a bit soft. I've got a buddy coming over tomorrow to help bleed the whole system.
Old 05-01-2013, 06:55 PM   #80
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
The brakes still aren't 100% but they are 95%. I replaced the master cylinder and tried to bleed the brakes but there is still some air in the line. I had to go to DMV today so i registered the argosy as well. When I hit home I the plates on it and took her for a spin and filled it up with $40 of gas. Tomorrow I plan on driving it to work. My last day at this company is Friday and a few of the guys have been dying to see it. at lunch I plan to take it for a look over at the local rv dealer to see what I need to do for inspection.

Cross your fingers!

Name:	ForumRunner_20130501_205515.png
Views:	87
Size:	649.6 KB
ID:	184727
Old 05-03-2013, 08:18 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Matt,

Hopefully you're parked on the side of the road because you wanted to take a picture of your Argosy and NOT because you're broken down

Glad to hear you're licensed and legal. Now the fun begins

Brad
Old 05-14-2013, 07:53 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Life has been super busy. I pulled my boat out of storage last week and found that I have several hundred in repairs that awaited me. Well parts are on order and I started the disassembly. Once that was done I got back to the Argosy.

Last Wednesday I took it for its official inspection once I repaired some of the lights and got the license plate holder/light installed. I was really suprised when the guy told me that it passed because NY is a bunch of sticklers when it comes to the annual inspection. Since then I have been driving it around town to make sure that everything is functioning properly. The only issue that I came across so far was that a little air in the brake system had made its way up to the master cylinder and drained the reservoir for the rear brakes, which forced me to have to bleed them yet again. These are the pain in the butt ones because of the location of the bleeder, leaf springs, and rear axle. All complaints aside, it is done.

Today I clamped down all of the PEX plumbing that I put in over winter and turned on the water (while crossing my fingers). Nothing happened. Literally nothing. Turns out that all the valves that I installed for winterizing, draining, and emergency shutoff were in random positions. Once I moved the emergency shutoff to 'ON' the water started flowing! I had one minor drip that I will try to fix tomorrow. I also managed to fill up my holding tanks to see if there are any leaks. I guess we will see tomorrow!
Old 07-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #83
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
I'v e managed to find some time this weekend to spend working on the Argosy rather than on the landscaping or house/truck repairs. I went to the local hardware store to puck up some oak 1x4 and 1x2s to use as a frame for the fridge. Once I got the base built I figured that I can easily install the fridge and build the cabinet around it. So far I have the fridge attached on the bottom and the right side so it stays in place. I had to make a custom curves piece of wood to go against the curved side of the wall which took some time. I have the rest of the frame cut out but not installed yet. The only other thing I need to cut out is the 1/4" oak panelling for the side and top. Hopefully I will get to that this week.

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_204426.png
Views:	91
Size:	400.6 KB
ID:	191390

Name:	ForumRunner_20130721_204438.png
Views:	96
Size:	380.9 KB
ID:	191391

The wife and I are trying to go camping in the 1000 Islands in late August, so I need to hustle to get all the basics working, which includes a bed, toilet, shower, and stove top. The other thing I need to check is how well it can haul my boat. It's not exactly a light boat so i am a little worried about hills. The boat is a 20' long Searay and is powered by a 350 v8 so it has some weight. I've got faith in her but I will put her to the test in the next week! Wish me luck!
Old 07-21-2013, 10:20 PM   #84
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Way to go!

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote