Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-18-2013, 09:02 AM   #43
4 Rivet Member
 
mprokop87's Avatar
 
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
How long has it been since you parked it?

With the ethanol in the gas now it doesn't take very long to mess up a carburetor, 3 months without problems is wishful thinking (can be worse with high humidity).
It was parked 8-10 years ago and I purchased it in November of 2012. I usually run it a few times a week so I can move it around the yard to make it easier to work on. Haven't been having issues up until now.
__________________

__________________
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #44
Rivet Master
 
WineStream's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,868
Images: 24
That was my story before carb rebuild, too. It was starting hard for months. Then, one day, it just wouldn't start. Period. I had the carb rebuilt, drained the oil and about a quart of gas from the oil pan, refilled and she started on the first rollover.
__________________

__________________
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:29 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member
 
mprokop87's Avatar
 
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
That was my story before carb rebuild, too. It was starting hard for months. Then, one day, it just wouldn't start. Period. I had the carb rebuilt, drained the oil and about a quart of gas from the oil pan, refilled and she started on the first rollover.
I'll give it a shot. Hopefully later this week I can get all of my other parts in and then maybe this weekend I can start to take apart the original carb.
__________________
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:24 AM   #46
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
It was parked 8-10 years ago and I purchased it in November of 2012. I usually run it a few times a week so I can move it around the yard to make it easier to work on. Haven't been having issues up until now.
If you haven't filled the tank recently you might want to try fresh gas before you go through the effort of rebuilding the carb.
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:05 PM   #47
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,050
Wazbro, that's a good point.

Matt, you might try using a 5-gallon gas can to feed from with fresh gas to see if the problem goes away. Easy and cheap way to isolate the problem.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:03 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member
 
mprokop87's Avatar
 
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 362
So I didnt get too far this weekend. I've been having a fuel delivery issue ever since I swapped the fuel pump so I decided to take it apart again. I found the issue which was that the push rod is stuck in the engine block. There must have been some dirt on it or that the new fuel pump has so much force pushing back that the push rod was mushroomed out at the end. I should have just replaced it when I bought the new fuel pump but I didn't. I am working on making an extraction tool at work that will allow me to grab down on the push rod and pull it out. It is stuck in such a way that I cannot get vice grips or any other tool that I own in there. Cross your fingers!
__________________
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:17 PM   #49
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,050
Matt,

Something doesn't sound right. From your description it sounds like the mushroomed end is the one that rids on the camshaft. Is that correct?

I can't figure how you could have got the fuel pump installed without the lever being in the right place. Needless to say I'll be real curious as to what the pin looks like. What does the lever on the pump look like?

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member
 
mprokop87's Avatar
 
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 362
So it has been a busy past couple of weeks but I managed to fit in some Argosy time. Last weekend I was cleaning up the Argosy and I also finished the plumbing. All new PEX with $100+ in fittings. I also took out the furnace to clean it out and try to repair it. Looks like I need a new igniter, mine is shorted. If I pull the wires off of it, it still throws a spark so that eased my mine a bit. In the process of cleaning it I found a bunch of mud wasp nests that were a bit tricky to get out but they are gone.

Today I got the fuel pump pushrod unstuck form its cavity in the block and bought a new one. The new one slid right in with no force necessary (the way its supposed to work!). After putting the fuel pump back on and connecting all the lines, I primed the carb but using my handy vacuum pump to suck up some gas from the tank. Ready to start it, so I turned the key and NOTHING. Well once I jumped it with my truck it turned over just fine. 2 cranks and it was running. The sticky push rod and old fuel pump must have had the right combination of issues to make it run fairly crappy. There was plenty of power too, managed to spin the wheels in the drive. Oops.

Not so big news is that I finally bought a side post battery for it. My dad found it sitting at the junk yard, only a year old. Next time I see him I will grab it and hopefully it will start the Argosy. I think it will because it is an 850CCA battery and I have been using my boat battery which is a 650CCA that turns over a 350ci V8. Plus my truck has a 975CCA that turns over a 488ci V10.

Monday is a big day, my fridge is scheduled to arrive at the FedEx warehouse. I found a use Norcold 6062 that was located about 4 hours away. It has an electrical issue ( I have the schematics so I hope I can fix it, not much to them). I was going to drive and get it but the round trip wold have run me $120 or more in gas plus a day of my time. For $150 fedex got to put up with it. The best part about it, the guy only wanted $100 for the fridge. Once I get it installed I will get some pictures. The pictures that I have seen show that it is in really good shape inside and out. It has one cracked piece of plastic but I found replacements on line.
__________________
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #51
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
So it has been a busy past couple of weeks but I managed to fit in some Argosy time. Last weekend I was cleaning up the Argosy and I also finished the plumbing. All new PEX with $100+ in fittings. I also took out the furnace to clean it out and try to repair it. Looks like I need a new igniter, mine is shorted. If I pull the wires off of it, it still throws a spark so that eased my mine a bit. In the process of cleaning it I found a bunch of mud wasp nests that were a bit tricky to get out but they are gone.
When you reinstall make sure you buy one of the mud dauber screens. Those buggers seem to get everyhere.

Suburban mud dauber screens

Get one for the water heater while you're at it.

Atwood mud dauber screen

Quote:
Today I got the fuel pump pushrod unstuck form its cavity in the block and bought a new one. The new one slid right in with no force necessary (the way its supposed to work!). After putting the fuel pump back on and connecting all the lines, I primed the carb but using my handy vacuum pump to suck up some gas from the tank. Ready to start it, so I turned the key and NOTHING. Well once I jumped it with my truck it turned over just fine. 2 cranks and it was running. The sticky push rod and old fuel pump must have had the right combination of issues to make it run fairly crappy. There was plenty of power too, managed to spin the wheels in the drive. Oops.
Now that's good new! Sounds like it's rarin to go

Quote:
Not so big news is that I finally bought a side post battery for it. My dad found it sitting at the junk yard, only a year old. Next time I see him I will grab it and hopefully it will start the Argosy. I think it will because it is an 850CCA battery and I have been using my boat battery which is a 650CCA that turns over a 350ci V8. Plus my truck has a 975CCA that turns over a 488ci V10.
A year old battery should be a good deal. I'd give it a full charge before trying to use it.

Quote:
Monday is a big day, my fridge is scheduled to arrive at the FedEx warehouse. I found a use Norcold 6062 that was located about 4 hours away. It has an electrical issue ( I have the schematics so I hope I can fix it, not much to them). I was going to drive and get it but the round trip wold have run me $120 or more in gas plus a day of my time. For $150 fedex got to put up with it. The best part about it, the guy only wanted $100 for the fridge. Once I get it installed I will get some pictures. The pictures that I have seen show that it is in really good shape inside and out. It has one cracked piece of plastic but I found replacements on line.
For $30 it's definitely worth letting someone else mess with transporting it!

Nice to see you're making some progress getting it ready for the road. I wish mine was that close to being ready...

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member
 
mprokop87's Avatar
 
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 362
Brad,
My goal is to have it drivable this month... never said usable. Today I took apart the section where the fridge sits to find a huge mouse house that stained the floor with mouse pee. Well I cut it all out and find that my step was also rotted.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130310_202154.png
Views:	95
Size:	644.8 KB
ID:	180704



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130310_202209.png
Views:	97
Size:	557.1 KB
ID:	180705



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130310_202223.png
Views:	87
Size:	753.6 KB
ID:	180706

I've got the floors all cleaned out and I managed to put in a new sub floor under the fridge but my drill bits broke so I had to run out to get more. That put a stop to the work for the day. Hopefully I can finish it up tomorrow and put the fridge in Tuesday.
__________________
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #53
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,050
Boy does that mess look familiar! You've definitely got some water leak issues that need to be dealt with.

You mentioned that the fridge had an electrical problem. Will you be able to trouble shoot it after it's installed?
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 07:01 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member
 
mprokop87's Avatar
 
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Boy does that mess look familiar! You've definitely got some water leak issues that need to be dealt with.
Yes there is, the fridge access panel! The previous owner busted the latch when he removed his old fridge so its been exposed to the great outdoors for the past 2 years. The water would run in along the wall and then down the step. The floor under the fridge was rotted near the wall but was solid about 13inches in. I poured some water/bleach all over everything to get out some of the pee smell (smelled like an outhouse at a tractor pull) and that seemed to work well. I will post more pictures once I get it put back together.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
You mentioned that the fridge had an electrical problem. Will you be able to trouble shoot it after it's installed?
I should be able too. I helped my dad do a repair on his Dometic in his 97 Innsbruck and it was easily accessible. I wont put it in permanently until its fixed or I am 100% sure I can take it apart in place.
__________________
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 AM   #55
Rivet Master
 
1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 998
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
I poured some water/bleach all over everything to get out some of the pee smell
That's a bit dangerous bleach and ammonia (in the urine).
__________________
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:02 AM   #56
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 6,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazbro View Post
That's a bit dangerous bleach and ammonia (in the urine).
Care to expand on that statement?
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any interest in a US (mid west) Argosy salvage / repair yard? Sprouty All Argosy Trailers 3 08-09-2013 07:35 PM
Looking at 24 ft. Argosy crunch27 Member Introductions 6 06-09-2013 07:46 PM
1972 Argosy Exterior Refinish billymyers56 All Argosy Trailers 47 02-04-2013 09:18 PM
Project 24' Argosy in Central CA.. Rick F Argosy Motorhomes 0 08-09-2011 03:06 PM
1973 Argosy / Airstream Camper - $4100 (Newark) 61Ambassador Airstreams on eBay 4 02-13-2011 11:11 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:28 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.