Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Congratulations Matt!

Nice to hear you're making progress. Did you start it up from a gas can or are you pulling fuel from the onboard gas tank? If you're running it on old gas that could be part of the "miss" problem. One other possibility is the spark plug cables themselves. The 454s seem to go through spark plug cables regularly even more so if you still have the cast iron headers. Lots of heat there.

Have you had the motorhome towed to your place yet?

When you go through the brakes I would highly recommend replacing the rubber hoses before you even start. They aren't that expensive and having sat that long they are bound to be dry rotted.

The rear brake hose is Napa # 36765
The front brake hoses are O'Reilly # SP5359 and SP5371 (right & left)

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Thanks for the info on the parts. I started it from the gas in the tank. I do plan to replace plugs, wires, and the radiator. Any clue as to how difficult that is?

I was supposed to get it towed last Saturday but after about four hours of prep the truck driver showed up, gave about twenty minutes to try to hook up and then gave up. Said that he didn't have right equipment, even though he did. Now today I got another company to show up and it took him ten minutes to hook up to a much smaller wrecker before I even got there. I was very impressed, unfortunately I was so excited I forgot to take a picture of it on the wrecker.

I forgot to mention before that the manuals I have from Argosy are owners, not service manuals. But, they do have some helpful schematics in it.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
Thanks for the info on the parts. I started it from the gas in the tank. I do plan to replace plugs, wires, and the radiator. Any clue as to how difficult that is?
Replacing the plugs and wires isn't difficult. The radiator is a different story!

Since your's has the front still assembled, unlike mine, your best bet is to raise the jack the front end up quite a bit and remove the radiator from below. The later motorhomes have a radiator that sits on top of the frame rails, the Argosies have a narrow radiator that fits between the frame rails.

Check out these threads.

The radiator blues

Argosy radiator thread by TN2

Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-open-front.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	171994

Quote:
I was supposed to get it towed last Saturday but after about four hours of prep the truck driver showed up, gave about twenty minutes to try to hook up and then gave up. Said that he didn't have right equipment, even though he did. Now today I got another company to show up and it took him ten minutes to hook up to a much smaller wrecker before I even got there. I was very impressed, unfortunately I was so excited I forgot to take a picture of it on the wrecker.
Been there, done that!

Quote:
I forgot to mention before that the manuals I have from Argosy are owners, not service manuals. But, they do have some helpful schematics in it.
You might contact Airstream to see if they had a service manual for the 76 models. They told me there isn't one available for the 74 model year. I plan on ringing out all of the wiring so I can create a wiring diagram of the coach. I hate working on something when I don't have documentation.

My Argosy owners manual doesn't have any wiring diagrams in that are worth anything.

Brad
Old 11-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Thanks for the links. When I get a chance this week I will scan in my schematics from my manual, maybe they can be of some help. Shoot me a private message with your email address to send them to
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
So just a little update for those of you keeping tabs on my progress. I have taken an axe to the back bedroom and started building a custom frame for the bed, which will be queen sized with the head on the drivers side. During the day the bed will fold up to two sixty inch wide couches with a shelf along the back. I still have to finish up the framing this week. Also this week I have to investigate my side mirrors (thank you brad!), put in the new distributor, and put together the tail lights. Please give me your comments if there is something you think I should do, I'm open to suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130107_211803.png
Views:	123
Size:	453.3 KB
ID:	176242   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130107_211825.png
Views:	121
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	176243  

Old 01-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Here are the pictures, I had trouble attaching them to the last post.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ForumRunner_20130107_212004.png
Views:	116
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	176244   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130107_212033.png
Views:	130
Size:	481.8 KB
ID:	176245  

Name:	ForumRunner_20130107_212051.png
Views:	117
Size:	469.3 KB
ID:	176246   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130107_212106.png
Views:	119
Size:	454.0 KB
ID:	176247  

Old 01-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
So just a little update for those of you keeping tabs on my progress. I have taken an axe to the back bedroom and started building a custom frame for the bed, which will be queen sized with the head on the drivers side. During the day the bed will fold up to two sixty inch wide couches with a shelf along the back. I still have to finish up the framing this week. Also this week I have to investigate my side mirrors (thank you brad!), put in the new distributor, and put together the tail lights. Please give me your comments if there is something you think I should do, I'm open to suggestions!
Matt, nice to see you're making progress!

What are you going to use to support the mattress across the hallway opening? Can't wait to see the framing when it's done. I do like the idea of being able to make couches out of that area when you want to.

How are you fastening the wood to the walls? Airstream mainly used rivets to hold things in place. They also used screws but I always find large headed rivets along side screws. I think the screws were used to initially hold something in place during assembly and then large headed rivets were used to provide the actual strength required to hold something in place. The coach will flex while driving and screws don't allow for flexing like rivets will. Just something to keep in mind.

Let me know on the mirrors when you're ready.

Brad
Old 01-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Brad,
I have supports that will fit into the existing frame to support the center of the bed. I just need to cut out a key so they went slide around. As far as fattening to walls, there are supports that are screwed into the aluminum siding that are under the frame. The frame screws down into these supports. I think the way I have it built will allow for the flexing of the cabin, only one way to find out.

I'm hoping to pick up a fridge this weekend but the guy selling it seems a little flakey. I got part way through my one hour drive there to find out that he was unavailable to show me the fridge. It was a nice Norcold from the late 90s for $100! If that doesn't work out then I don't know what I will do, keep looking I guess.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:35 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
If the fridge works that's not a bad price at all. Hopefully it's as good as you're hoping. I'm a fan of Norcold also. We bought a Winnebago motorhome in 2003 that had a new Norcold in it and when we bought our 310 we swapped fridges so we could keep the Norcold.

Any decision on mirrors yet?

Brad
Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
The fridge doesn't work according to the guy, he says the power board is bad. He said it used to work until he tried to change a fuse and crossed some wires, blowing out a few components on the power board. I believed that until yesterday when I called him to let him know that I was on my way. His wife answered and gave me some excuse that he had to take the girls to dance (or something like that) so he wasn't home. The real kicker is that I could hear him in the background and his wife was addressing him directly... pays to cover the phone up.

The more I thought about it the more I think I am just going to look elsewhere. I do not need to buy something that I cannot fix. Im fine with fixing the power board but if he messed up the cooling portion then I could be out time and money. I will either buy an electric fridge and put it in or keep looking for a used RV fridge.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Yep, someone like that I would steer clear of!

I think you're smart to keep looking. I would however shy away from a normal fridge and find a true RV fridge. I think in the long run you'll be a LOT happier with the right fridge in place. One thing to remember with a true RV fridge it will cool while driving (as long as you have propane) and while parked and not plugged into shore power. On trips that can make a big difference. A normal fridge like you use in your house has to have 120/ac so unless you're plugged in you won't have any cooling. Just my $0.02 on the subject

Brad
Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Brad,
Do you still happen to have the taillights from your 345? It looks like the individual lenses might work for the rear lights for my Argosy. Could you compare them to yours and see if that's true and if you are willing to part with them let me know for how much.

Also, in the next few days I am going to go ahead and order the mirrors that you linked me.

Thanks
Matt
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Brad,
Do you still happen to have the taillights from your 345? It looks like the individual lenses might work for the rear lights for my Argosy. Could you compare them to yours and see if that's true and if you are willing to part with them let me know for how much.
Matt, those tail lights are long gone. Sorry I can't help you there. I am curious as to where you managed to come up with tail light assemblies for your Argosy. The ones on mine are cracking and they were only used on the 74 models so finding something to replacement them with is pretty high on my list.

Quote:
Also, in the next few days I am going to go ahead and order the mirrors that you linked me.

Thanks
Matt
Sounds good. I'll see what I can do to get the parts done as quickly as I can.

Brad
Old 01-12-2013, 06:54 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Brad,
I searched for my tail light for a good 4 months before I cam up with one. At one point I put up a classified ad and someone saw it. He had one that came off of a camper, year unknown, and only wanted $40 for it. The measurements that he sent me matched up to the size of my Argosy so I decided to take a gamble on it. After paying $100+ to ship it from Georgia to here I held it up and it fit!

There is a crack or two on it but nothing that cant be fixed with a little fiberglass and body filler. I knew about the cracks before I bought it but I wanted to snatch it anyway because of how hard they are to find. If I were you I would put up an ad on the classified site and watch it and other sites (ebay, craigslist, etc...) religiously. You weren't the first person to ask me about it so I am assuming something like that will go fairly quickly. I will keep an eye out for something for you but just be ready to pay a good chunk of money for shipping.

In your searches if you happen to come across the actual tail lights let me know. I only have the plastic housing (See picture). I think that Argosy/Airstream used the same lights in many of their RVs so as long as I can find something I will be happy.