Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
My 1977 28' twin for sale.

Putting my 28' Twin up for sale but unsure of the value. I would like to get $5000 for it but I'm not sure if that is a fair price.
Can anyone guide me with this?
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
CATAULA , Georgia
Darel, I just purchased our '78 28' for $6500.
GAArgosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
It all depends on the condition. Nobody expects to get a $20,000 motorhome for $5,000. But then, if there are no repairs needed, the paint is excellent, low mileage etc. then $5,000 may be too low. I just bought my 20' argosy MH for $5,000. It needs work. But then, I also bought one 10 years ago for $11,000 and it needed work too.

What kind of condition is it in? and, have you been following the classifieds on this site?
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Darel,

I agree with Aldo. When it comes to vintage RVs, condition is the key factor.

While some are kept by loving owners, I see many Argosy units that are in poor condition (unused for many years). I usually consider the cost of making the necessary repairs (tires, belt, hoses, fridge, air conditioner, generator, etc.) to get the unit operational. It is important that you list all of the operating items. Check them all out and "exercise" them. The worst thing you can do for a motorhome is to not use it!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
I just bought my 20' argosy MH for $5,000. It needs work. But then, I also bought one 10 years ago for $11,000 and it needed work too.
Aldo, There are a bunch of 20' Argosy motorhome owners on the forum. We'd love to see pictures of your coach and hear about the details.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
20' Argosy

I just posted photos of my old 20' and my new 20' in the photos section. My new one needs some work, as expected for the price I paid. I also bought the best towing policy I could get, until I finish rebuilding the beauty to where I have full confidence.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My old 20 footer.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	491.4 KB
ID:	178067  
Attached Images

Old 02-03-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1974 20' Argosy 20
Loomis , California
Darel:
Two other things to keep in mind are your potential buyer location and the condition of the undercarriage. When I purchased my latest, the buyer reduced the price, because I had to transport it myself to California. If he would have stated in his ad that he would work with buyers on the transport cost, he would have had a few hundred more buyers. But since he was in a remote area, his responses were limited to that area. Then, you have to consider the undercarriage...which is everything with old motorhomes. Just about everything can be rebuilt or replaced on these quality build rigs. However, if you live in a state where they salt the roads, and the rig was used during winter, you better hope the bottom got washed on a regular basis. Once cancer sets in, the value of the vehicle is determined by the condition of the motor and parts in the coach. That said, take a look at the undercarriage, test the compression in the motor, look at your mileage log to see if it got exercised regularly and then gauge the condition of the interior. Finally, the real determining factor, is the curb appeal. Does it have a clean and shiny paint job? Those are all factors. Then, check out the Classified section of this website to see what others are asking for the same year, make and model. My bet is that you are under-pricing yourself. But then, how long do you want it to sit on the market? Do you have any photos?
Old 09-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
La Porte , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to Darel
Hey Guys,

Thanks for you input. Sorry for such a delayed response but I haven't been on the forums in quite some time

My rig has some issues but nothing that would keep it from camping. There's a leak under the sink/behind tge stove, that I have the split cut out, but it's in a very hard to reach area to put in a splice. I thought about pulling the stove out to get a better angle at it.
The fuzzy schelgel needs replaced. One window leaks by the couch and I get drips on the dash from the front windshield. No roof leaks.
Paint is rough. It had been painted. Interior may have been updated in the late 80's/early 90's.

I always wanted to start restoring it but I just don't have the time or place to do it.

I used up until this year when I bought a newer RV.

While setting in my in-laws front yard, someone shattered thr driverside windshield. Talk about frustration. AAAHHH! Ok, I feel better.

Thanks again for the responses,
Darel
Darel is offline   Reply With Quote