Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2016, 05:05 PM   #521
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I am sure my supports which face forward will need to be re-positioned slightly anyway. I put a level on them and although they are level at the bulk-head, the passenger side slopes very slightly forward, so the bumper is slightly lower on the passenger side.

Fitting would certainly be easier if the valance is in three parts, are they still trying to make them one piece?
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:42 PM   #522
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The drivers side front support on mine was bent when I got the Argosy and I bent it even worse at one point so I spent some time forcing it back into position and then welding it in position.

If you would like I can get two more flat stock supports fabricated to match the ones I made, probably a whole lot cheaper than having ASNE would charge. All ASNE would have to do is drill a three holes in each forward support for mounting purposes.

I agree it would be easier in three parts and I did discuss that with Fiberglass Solutions however I think it was something like a $500 adder and they still have to make the mold in one piece the first time. They would then have to cut the mold into 3 pieces and then add the overlap flanges to two of the three pieces. On top of that they would have to reinforce the 3 molds to ensure they retain their shape. Only then could they start producing pieces. My guess that would probably add several weeks before parts could be produced.

I like the idea of 3 pieces but I'll defer to whatever you want to do in that regard.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:57 AM   #523
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Let's go with the single piece Brad; worse comes to worse it can be cut and bonded during installation, that's the great plus of using fiberglass.

My front bumper actual bolts through those 'bunny ears' (using a carriage bolt) so I am not sure your design will work? I can get some photos later in the week so you can see what I mean.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:55 AM   #524
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Let's go with the single piece Brad; worse comes to worse it can be cut and bonded during installation, that's the great plus of using fiberglass.
The only other downside to a one piece valance is it will likely be considerably heavier than the ABS version. That might make it harder for a single individual to install or remove it. I'll likely have to get someone to assist when I get ready to install it.

Quote:
My front bumper actual bolts through those 'bunny ears' (using a carriage bolt) so I am not sure your design will work? I can get some photos later in the week so you can see what I mean.
Mine was bolted up somewhat differently originally but the front supports did have the bunny ears. I just cut the support short enough to be behind the bumper. The piece I fabricated can be made long enough to mate with the existing hole in the front bumper. Shouldn't be difficult at all.
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 02-17-2016, 01:44 PM   #525
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
So today's flurry of activity is......

The Magnum is working! (yeah) Turned out both batteries had gone bad and aren't holding charge so the Magnum stayed firmly 'turned-off' to protect itself from possible damage

Way back in the rebuild I needed a fifth Vista View window as the donor only had four. At the time the only source was Airstream Supply. When it arrived it was found to be double-paned, and condensation go in between the panes as soon as we used it. So the shop have broken out the inner pane and installed some of the Can-AM RV gasket to fill the gap. So we can now see out of the wetroom Vista View!

I temporarily installed a dual rear view camera system - one camera replacing the rear-view mirror, one looking down at the hitch. I have picked up some better quality cameras with low light vision capability and the guys at the shop have permanently installed, installed all the cabling/switch/etc.

Seems lots of progress quickly (for a change)
Old 02-17-2016, 04:40 PM   #526
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow! One battery must have died taking the other one with it, or you just got a bad batch of batteries. Glad to hear the Magnum took care of itself.

If I don't end up using a Vista View in my bathroom I've got a couple extra on the shelf....

Looking forward to pictures of the backside of Bella...
Old 02-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #527
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wow! One battery must have died taking the other one with it, or you just got a bad batch of batteries. Glad to hear the Magnum took care of itself.

If I don't end up using a Vista View in my bathroom I've got a couple extra on the shelf....

Looking forward to pictures of the backside of Bella...
Actually I think the battery situation was maybe a bit more dramatic. I think I have shared that I 'cheap-ed out' and had the shop install two wet cells, trying to buy some time until the Li polymer market stabilizes. The shop also installed a 'automatic top-up system' for the wet cells, which basically leaves a tubular reservoir of distilled water connected to the wet cells, to drip feed. Well this maybe OK in Florida, but having unprotected, pure water (no antifreeze) in the North East in Winter, with the MH stuck outside for 4 months appears to have had the expected destructive effect

I actually, now, have a spare single pane Vista View (curved) as well as two flat ones (supplied (in my mind) in error; sellers (even if Airstream dealers) don't understand the difference between a stack window (a flat window that sits above or below an existing window) and a Vista View (a curved profile window that goes into the roof line) - sorry rant over!), and one of the discussions on Monday was remove the inner pane vs replace the window - remove the pane won.
Old 02-18-2016, 07:13 PM   #528
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Actually I think the battery situation was maybe a bit more dramatic. I think I have shared that I 'cheap-ed out' and had the shop install two wet cells, trying to buy some time until the Li polymer market stabilizes. The shop also installed a 'automatic top-up system' for the wet cells, which basically leaves a tubular reservoir of distilled water connected to the wet cells, to drip feed. Well this maybe OK in Florida, but having unprotected, pure water (no antifreeze) in the North East in Winter, with the MH stuck outside for 4 months appears to have had the expected destructive effect
I've never heard heard of an automatic top-up system. Not sure I understand the need for one

Quote:
I actually, now, have a spare single pane Vista View (curved) as well as two flat ones (supplied (in my mind) in error; sellers (even if Airstream dealers) don't understand the difference between a stack window (a flat window that sits above or below an existing window) and a Vista View (a curved profile window that goes into the roof line) - sorry rant over!), and one of the discussions on Monday was remove the inner pane vs replace the window - remove the pane won.
For some reason I thought both panes could be removed with the frame still in place. I guess I was wrong.

By the way, if you're collecting stack windows I've got some you can have to add to your collection
Old 02-18-2016, 08:03 PM   #529
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
I've never heard heard of an automatic top-up system. Not sure I understand the need for one
This is what they installed http://www.janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mv...y_Code=BWS_12V

The shop was concerned at the electrolyte use/battery maintenance if routinely left on shore-power, but the consequences of using the watering system seem worse than what it was trying to protect against!

Quote:
For some reason I thought both panes could be removed with the frame still in place. I guess I was wrong.
Apparently there are three types of double pane, and the most common either require removal/splitting the frame, or breaking the glass.

Quote:
By the way, if you're collecting stack windows I've got some you can have to add to your collection
I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not collect more!!!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 02:59 PM   #530
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Totally unrelated to Bella, but the move back to the UK got a lot more 'real' today....Flights for Denise and Missy dog got booked (although Denise will be coming back a forth for a while), we bought a little Mercedes A class as a runabout, the realtor has been in to work up the plan for selling our house here, and the shipping company is working up the quote for our belongings (including what seems like half a second Argosy MH!)
Old 02-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #531
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Funny how you think about things " in the future " and one day you wake up and it is the present. Can be a real eye opener. Are you retiring to UK or moving there to work?
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:27 PM   #532
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
This is what they installed http://www.janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mv...y_Code=BWS_12V

The shop was concerned at the electrolyte use/battery maintenance if routinely left on shore-power, but the consequences of using the watering system seem worse than what it was trying to protect against!
Interesting device. I can say that while the 310 was parked here (2009 thru 2015) it was always plugged in and never had issues with the batteries. I did replace the batteries once during that period but the batteries were bought new in 2007 so I'm not to surprised that I replaced them once.

Quote:
Apparently there are three types of double pane, and the most common either require removal/splitting the frame, or breaking the glass.
Interesting. I ought to look at the windows I have and see if the glass can be removed without breaking.

Quote:
I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not collect more!!!!!
If you're looking for sympathy you're talking to the wrong person about that
Old 02-19-2016, 05:29 PM   #533
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Totally unrelated to Bella, but the move back to the UK got a lot more 'real' today....Flights for Denise and Missy dog got booked (although Denise will be coming back a forth for a while), we bought a little Mercedes A class as a runabout, the realtor has been in to work up the plan for selling our house here, and the shipping company is working up the quote for our belongings (including what seems like half a second Argosy MH!)
Did you buy the Mercedes here or in the UK?

You know, if you bought another Argosy and just filled it with your spares it would be easier to deal with. It could be a roll on/roll off affair instead of using a sea container!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:25 PM   #534
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
Funny how you think about things " in the future " and one day you wake up and it is the present. Can be a real eye opener. Are you retiring to UK or moving there to work?
I'm a firm believer in 'never say never'.....

Nearly ten years ago, I was living in the US (New Jersey), working for the biggest company in my field and was a 'change agent' in that company. But they told me to chose between a permanent relocation or trigger a package and head back to UK.

I did the second and started consultancy as a 'hobby job'; house was already paid for and I planned to just do enough work to get by - I went into semi-retirement.

Couple of years later and I was doing work for 3 of the 5 biggest companies in my field (including my previous employer) and it certainly didn't feel like a hobby! So when when one of the smaller companies approached me and asked me to help them re-invent how they do business; I thought 'why not' and we packed our bags and headed back to US (Boston).

Well that job is now done, not only did we change how they did business we changed the way the whole industry works.

So....that job is done...I need a rest...but all the other companies in the field still need help (I have three job offers on the table). We are selling up and moving our stuff back to UK, but we will come back to US and full-time in Bella for a while, and then see if I want to stick with the 'hobby job' or see if another company is up for seeing if there is a better way to do business!
Old 02-19-2016, 06:36 PM   #535
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Did you buy the Mercedes here or in the UK?
In the UK Brad. Mercedes never imported the early A class to the US but they are a very popular small car in the UK. The new CLA is a global model, but the A class it replaced is a sub-compact, more like its beefed up version of its sister the SMART.

We call it a 'city car'.
Old 02-19-2016, 06:48 PM   #536
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, maybe you could go to work at Airstream and change the way they do business

You have a very impressive resume, how many years have you been in the industry?
Old 02-19-2016, 07:04 PM   #537
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
In the UK Brad. Mercedes never imported the early A class to the US but they are a very popular small car in the UK. The new CLA is a global model, but the A class it replaced is a sub-compact, more like its beefed up version of its sister the SMART.

We call it a 'city car'.
Oops, when I saw "A Class" my mind interpreted it as "Class A" I jumped to the conclusion that you had bought a Mercedes motorhome
Old 02-19-2016, 08:42 PM   #538
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Martin, maybe you could go to work at Airstream and change the way they do business

You have a very impressive resume, how many years have you been in the industry?
Hmmm.....for an industry to change, they have to want to change/have a driver for change.

In Airstream's case all the time there are more people with the dream of owning something iconic, than disillusioned by how poorly they are currently put together, they will sell all the products they make and don't need to change. But it is incredibility short-sighted as they are in a lucky position that currently nostalgia drives leisure, and rather than taking to opportunity to improve their product they are instead focusing on making more of the same (expanding not improving), and even talking of making cheaper (worse) products that will sell because people want a label - they are focused on cashing in to the trend. As soon as people want a different 'label' they will be dead in the water, its not a sustainable business model.
Old 02-20-2016, 05:35 AM   #539
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, all of that makes perfect sense.

Please the share holders above all else. Unfortunately that pretty much describes every corporate business in America
Old 02-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #540
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
You know, if you bought another Argosy and just filled it with your spares it would be easier to deal with. It could be a roll on/roll off affair instead of using a sea container!
Well this got me thinking and if this was closer I think I would be taking a look!

http://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/5432567943.html