Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 06:31 AM   #121
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vycan View Post
I really enjoy watching the progress of your project.
Thanks Vycan. I think we are the most 'dangerous' stage of the project in terms of having the work done at a shop. All the relatively small things that need to be buttoned up take a lot of time, but I don't want the guys to rush and cut corners (considering the care and detail they have put in so far) but equally we could easily add 200-300 hours of build time in trying to ensure everything is 'perfect'.

So, the plan is to take everything worked and complete, use it for a few trips, then it can go back in and have any small things done we want changed, and to get the body work done....means for a few months it will not look pretty on the outside but it seems the better plan for the long haul.

A good example of this is the seats, they are high quality automotive seats but have way less padding/support than a true captains seat - if we can live with them fine, if not we will change out to some regular captains seats. Likewise I already bought 3 sets of matching seat mounts, 3.5", 7" (the ones we are using) and 10" high in case we want to change later - it's a ten bolt per seat change if we want to lower or raise. But in both cases the current choice is to give the maximum range of functionality, if when we start to use it, it turns out we don't need that functionality, we can drop it to allow improvements in offer areas.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 09:43 PM   #122
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I really don't want to provoke the Airstream Gods, but the shop called today to say they hope to have everything buttoned up and have her/him/it (we haven't decide gender yet) back on the road early next week. It wont be 100% done as we are still waiting on the aluminum trims/close-outs for the Vista View windows to be custom made, and they haven't even started the paint and body, but at least we can start doing some shake down trips, even if it is using some drapery etc. Can't wait....but actually I will have to, as I am working in Portugal next week, not flying back until Friday and then heading straight to Chilly Man....with or without our Argosy.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #123
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Fingers crossed!! But with or without, I'm looking forward to meeting you at Chilly Man!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #124
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Will definitely be without the motorhome...just heard there is an issue with the seats. Looks like I have provoked the Airstream Gods and they have responded with at least a six week delay whilst some different seats are made....oh joy
Old 04-27-2015, 05:10 PM   #125
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Sorry Martin. Looking forward to meeting you there!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:36 PM   #126
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
I really don't want to provoke the Airstream Gods, but the shop called today to say they hope to have everything buttoned up and have her/him/it (we haven't decide gender yet) back on the road early next week.
What was that??? Come again???

When will we ever learn. Murphy has nothing on the wing pulling playfullness of Thor and Alumunitus.

Amazing to see it coming together.......finally. Goodluck and remember before you set out for the inaugural journey, sacrificing one or two (better safe than sorry) virgins to mollify those buggers may be helpful.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #127
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Will definitely be without the motorhome...just heard there is an issue with the seats. Looks like I have provoked the Airstream Gods and they have responded with at least a six week delay whilst some different seats are made....oh joy
NOOOOOooooooo. Yeah, saw that coming......

Cheers again
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:03 AM   #128
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
sandwich , Massachusetts
Seats

Quote:
I really don't want to provoke the Airstream Gods, but the shop called today to say they hope to have everything buttoned up and have her/him/it (we haven't decide gender yet) back on the road early next week. It wont be 100% done as we are still waiting on the aluminum trims/close-outs for the Vista View windows to be custom made, and they haven't even started the paint and body, but at least we can start doing some shake down trips, even if it is using some drapery etc. Can't wait....but actually I will have to, as I am working in Portugal next week, not flying back until Friday and then heading straight to Chilly Man....with or without our Argosy.

Martin, Did you go with FlexSteel Seats? We are looking to replace ours but Majors RV here on the Cape said they don't think that FlexSteel will fit...
Fishizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 09:59 AM   #129
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I looked at Flexsteel, and also those from Shop4seats, and other vendors like Discount RV Furniture but the issue is the length of the seat. If you look at a typical RV seat the 'base' is 24" long

However the original seats are 22" but still have a 19" sitting length because the back is narrower.

So standard RV seats fit, but need to be mounted a couple of inches further back and so cause issues if you turn them through 180degrees (not sure about the larger Argosy but the dog house on the 20ft is sloped to allow the seat to turn past it). We also have made the steering wheel demountable to help. The one aspect that has 'bitten us' was very unexpected. We are using higher seat mounts because the seats we chose have thinner seating area, but they are too thin even a 10" mount is too low. I am still hopeful that when I can see the situation there is a simpler solution than getting custom seats but the Airstream shop are saying that's what they think.
Old 04-30-2015, 06:22 PM   #130
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin,

Just saw this thread for the first time. Wow I'm really impressed with rebuild you're performing. I've got a 20' Argosy that I've been tinkering with for several years now but has mostly been languishing due to other projects going on.

Looking at what you've done to your's makes me want to jump back into my rebuild and get it finished.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #131
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Seat problem solved, so they are now mounted and ready to go in.

Can fully carpeted. New dash AC installation now complete, dash media system fully installed, all internal systems (power, propane, heat, water, etc) all fully working. Still some small finishing to be done on the dash itself but the radiator and cooling are back in, flushed and running. The guys seem very close to having our Argosy back in the road.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #132
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
EXCITING!!! So the plan is to get it on the road for a short period, bring it back to the shop for punch list items and then paint?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 04:48 PM   #133
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Seat problem solved, so they are now mounted and ready to go in.

Can fully carpeted. New dash AC installation now complete, dash media system fully installed, all internal systems (power, propane, heat, water, etc) all fully working. Still some small finishing to be done on the dash itself but the radiator and cooling are back in, flushed and running. The guys seem very close to having our Argosy back in the road.
Martin,

One of the dilemmas I've had with my 20' Argosy is the bathroom wall is right behind the drivers seat and the standard RV seats don't fit properly. The seat back hits the bathroom wall well before a comfortable seat placement can be achieved.

Could you post a few pictures of your seats now that they are installed in the coach?

Also what type/brand of seat pedestals did you use?

Thanks!

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 05-10-2015, 05:01 PM   #134
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
That's the plan Mayco.

Had hoped to start the shake down at last weeks NEU WBCCI Rally (Chilly Man) but missed that date. But we tend to camp every weekend from now on through the summer (we are only 40miles or so from the Cape so there are plenty of local campgrounds) so already have sites booked for the next two weekends; if the Argosy is ready we will take it, if not we camp in our converted box trailer. There are some more WBCCI Rally's and the end of May, and in June, so we may even wait for 'body and paint' until the end of the season - at the moment 'looking pretty' seems low on the priority list.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:10 PM   #135
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Martin,

One of the dilemmas I've had with my 20' Argosy is the bathroom wall is right behind the drivers seat and the standard RV seats don't fit properly. The seat back hits the bathroom wall well before a comfortable seat placement can be achieved.

Could you post a few pictures of your seats now that they are installed in the coach?

Also what type/brand of seat pedestals did you use?

Thanks!

Brad
Massive apologies Brad, I totally missed your post and just saw it whilst reading back to give an update.

The pedestals that we have installed are from Shop4seats, but they are identical to two shorter sets we got from Factory RV Surplus - I wish I had Factory RV Surplus first as they were about 1/3 the price the the first guys.

I will send a photo as soon as I can get over to the shop, but we do have an advantage that the kitchen is immediately behind the drivers seat and has been built with a corner shelf to allow the driver seat to swivel to two positions, approx 160degrees has it angled towards the back of the 'bus' and allows the seat to be used as general seating, approx 200degrees has the seat facing the worktop on the end of the corner shelf so the worktop becomes a desk surface.

Our bathroom is behind the entrance door which is right behind the passenger seat on the '75, but even then we ended up using second row seats from a MPV to get the desired clearance.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-17-2015, 04:16 PM   #136
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
So are you road ready, Martin? Jamfest this weekend? 😄
Old 05-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #137
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Well, we have been camping this weekend just not in the Argosy.

But seriously, it is very very close. I called in the shop earlier today (we were camping nearby) and there are four items left on the 'snag list'....two seemed trivial (for example install the pole on the closet), one I helped along by dropping off the seat belts, but the last is a little ominous - 'repair the accelerator pedal'......I guess I will give the guys a call tomorrow to find out what that means!

The current plan? We have a reservation at the same local site next weekend, and it will hopefully be the shake down for the newly named 'Bella'. If we know we will have 'her' back on the road then we will try and sign up for the Region 1 Gathering, fingers crossed.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #138
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Great! Unfortunately, we're going to miss region 1 for some family stuff....

Good luck! Can't wait to see Bella and you guys on the road!!!
Old 05-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #139
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
but the last is a little ominous - 'repair the accelerator pedal'......I guess I will give the guys a call tomorrow to find out what that means!
Repairing the accelerator pedal shouldn't be to bad. It should just be a cable assembly that runs from the firewall to a bracket on the intake manifold. The only real problem might be finding the correct replacement cable. I don't know if GM carries the correct cable anymore.

From my scavenging through junk yards a few years back looking for various bits and pieces for my Argosy engine install the throttle cables from Chevy pickup trucks of the era might be a good alternative.

Brad
Old 05-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #140
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Mill Supply list quite a few cable assemblies for Step Vans (https://www.millsupply.com/search.ph...1&cs=1+260+261) so hopefully it is just one of those.