Old 09-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #771
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Dangit!

The Schlange deadlock won't open and I can't get it Bella. I think it is just the cylinder as the my spare key is just turning in the lock as well....time to look for a small child to climb through the window!!!!

Old 09-26-2016, 05:36 PM   #772
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Dangit!

The Schlange deadlock won't open and I can't get it Bella. I think it is just the cylinder as the my spare key is just turning in the lock as well....time to look for a small child to climb through the window!!!!
I wonder if that was one of the new rattles that you heard?

Hopefully the worst case is you have a locksmith drill the key tumbler out.

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 05:49 PM   #773
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Luckily she is parked up in a hotel car park and I am working at the same facility for the next 3 days....gives me some time to decide best way to get in rather then doing something crazy.

I can get the drivers cockpit slider open...the issue is I am about 100% wider than the gap!

Looking through the window it appears the lower screen door gizzy (the aluminum one As NE made) is hooked on the inside latch so as the cylinder turns outside it can't release the lock.
Old 09-26-2016, 06:35 PM   #774
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
It does sound like a small child would be the simplest approach.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:49 AM   #775
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I'm in, and no animals or children were harmed in the process.

Really I struck lucky, and persisted in trying at various times of the day, and found after the sun had been on Bella all afternoon the metal had expanded enough that by turning the key outside, it moved the lever inside enough to 'walk' the gizzy back in the screen door until the inside lever was free and the lock realised.

Also means I have isolated the cause of the rattly alumin(i)um gizzy as it was interfering with the inner lever when closed.
Old 09-28-2016, 05:21 PM   #776
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Definitely one of those "OH SH!T" moments. At 6'3" and over 250 lbs I can commisurate with trying to fit through the front windows, and yes, at first glance it does seem impossible, but I have done it.

Throwing my youngest girl through the window is still preferable though.

Glad it can be fixed.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 07:15 PM   #777
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I did forget to describe the circumstances behind the issue.....

I'm working in PA and so have the luxury of a motel room for a few nights; Bella is parked outside.

To get here I had driven down from NJ (stayed at JM2 house the night before), and I had picked up another entourage for folks who followed me into the car park. They left (after the usual - can I buy it, NO, where can I buy one, YOU CAN'T conversation) and I had just unloaded my case and carried a few essentials into my room, when another car pulled and explained they had seen me drive past and they had jumped in their car and chased me, and could they take pictures? I say sure, do you want to look inside? They say yes and I find out the door would open. Honestly these folks thought it was their fault, apologising, offering to pay for a locksmith, offering to climb in for me. At this point I didn't know what had happened or I would have accepted! When I convinced them, they weren't to blame they disappeared at about 100mph in case I changed my mind!!!!!!
Old 09-29-2016, 05:51 AM   #778
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Thats a really good story!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:15 PM   #779
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Not a good day for Bella. I finished up at one client and went to start up Bella to drive about 80miles from PA to NJ. It was pouring with rain and I noted the water under Bella had an oil sheen, but thought it was just a result of the rain washing off the oily undercarriage. Drove to the second client, no issue, parked Bella up outside, spent about 4 hours inside, came out - another oil sheen. I was about 70mikes from Joseph M's place so I said I would stop by.

As I pulled into their street in Closter NJ (right near the NY state line), I lost oil pressure. I was watching the gauge so immediately turned the engine off. When I checked it took 3 quarts of oil to bring the level back up to registering on the dipstick. After adding the oil, checking the level I fired the engine up and have good oil pressure again.

So Bella is currently parked up outside their house with a sheet of cardboard under her to try and trace the leak. Nothing so far, it appears the oil just vanished!
Old 09-30-2016, 06:21 PM   #780
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Oh no! Perhaps a faulty seal which is worse under pressure/while driving? You may not see the leak while parked but that oil slick was from drops that formed while driving?
Old 09-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #781
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, if I was a betting man I bet it has something to do with the oil pressure line that runs from the engine block up to the gauge.

That was the last thing touched which in my mind makes it the most suspect.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:44 AM   #782
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Mystery solved.

Topped off the oil, left Bella sitting over a sheet of cardboard overnight = slight trace of oil on the drivers side/rear of the engine. Looked associated with the oil filter, but hardly any real flow.

So this morning started up the engine; slight delay whilst oil pressure built, then a steady stream of oil from the base of the filter. Looks like the filter oil seal has actually been pushed out under pressure as there is evidence of a slight 'bulge' at the point it is leaking. Must have just happened as the leak is equal to about around a quart an hour and would empty the engine quite quickly.

Biggest issue now is finding someone local that has a filter in stock on a Saturday morning, looks like I maybe waiting until Monday/Tuesday for one to arrive. The local shop was even out of 10-30 oil!
Old 10-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #783
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow, that oil filter should have been on just about every parts house shelf!

At least it wasn't something expensive or serious.
Old 10-01-2016, 08:29 PM   #784
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
You have to be careful with oil filters, as sometimes if over tightened they will leak, or sometimes the o-ring on the filter can separate and remain stuck on the engine; when putting on new filter it will leak around the now two o-rings. I always check oil filter for leaks upon initial start up.

Some scary reading on oil flter comparisons. Don't ever buy Fram, period.

http://www.austincc.edu/wkibbe/oilfilterstudy.htm

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote