Old 12-19-2014, 02:49 PM   #57
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
.......Trouble is the door looks so nice now I couldn't help asking if we could find a window for the door.....especially if it was a Winick style porthole.....
Never one to do things conventionally, and after being quote $1500 for a replacement salvage door which included a (regular rectangular) window and after finding out the Winick style porthole was not available from Airstream, it got me thinking (never a good thing).....porthole....why not an actual marine porthole (at least they a designed not to leak!)? As an experiment I ordered two salvage portholes from a ship dismantler in India, one round and one oblong.

Yesterday I call into the Airstream shop (to look at the kitchen mock up), but armed with the portholes.

Imagine the conversation....
Me: I have a suggestion for the window in the door, can we install an pothole I got from India.
Dave the project manager: silence.
Me: I think it will, fit can we try?
Dave: well I'm not the one who is going to have to try, lets talk to the techs, we go out to the shop.
Me to Bob the tech who has spent the last 2 or 3 months fitting all the new sliders and VistaViews: I have an idea for the window in the door, I show him the porthole.
Bob: let me get this right, you I want to fit a salvage pothole from India in the door?
Me: well I want to see if it could fit.
Bob: a porthole in the door?
Me: humor me....

Guess what.....the oblong one looks a perfect match for the VistaViews, and would go straight into the door at about 3/4 height (where there is enough flex in the door to accommodate a flat window). I would like it a little higher so the guys are going to try and put a curve in the porthole frame (about 3/8"), but also the round one is going to look great in the shower door (instead of a complete glass door)....result!

The second result of the day was the kitchen mock up works great....with the latest layout we have managed to get 6ft of countertop into the kitchen and still have access for rotating the drivers seat....actually the end of the countertop is perfect height to double up as a side table for the driver. The entire drivers side is just bed and kitchen.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:47 PM   #58
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Hmmm.....so today we found the breaking point of cast aluminium which resulted in two halves of a porthole. Lessons learned, and a second porthole is on order this time we will be less ambitious with the curvature.

Old 01-02-2015, 04:51 PM   #59
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Been a little crazy at the Airstream shop over the holidays so one 'big' update.

The Magnum inverter/remote arrived and allowed all the internal wiring to be laid out and installed, which marked the start of 'reconstruction' rather than 'development'. In terms of the interior; all the mock ups have been removed and lots of new shiny aluminium skins are being installed.

We spent a lot of time deciding what to do about the 'door hinges'. The best advice on the forum was to change them whilst we have access, but neither me nor the guys in the shop can find anything wrong with the ones we have - the door fits great. So we have decided to leave alone but ensure the skins covering the hinges can easily be removed - much easier than the hinges themselves will be!

As mentioned elsewhere on the forum the mattresses for the twin beds have been spec'ed out but we can't pull the trigger on having them made until the cabinetry is installed. Other new bits that have arrived are, the 200w Zamp portable solar panel (we are going with 4x6v batteries) so will be able to run everything including the small AC/heater from the batteries if needed, the Atwood on-demand water heater, and the main distribution panel the electrical system (a Parallax 80D).....and the additional porthole from India (how come DHL can ship a porthole from India in 4 days yet FEDEX and UPS have taken 10 days to ship parts from California??????)

Still waiting on delivery of the new generator (which is going to be stored/carried in the night stand behind the AC/heater, and is needed to finalize the build of that cabinetry) and the pull-out table which comes out of the 'top drawer' of the nightstand. Also waiting on the Dometic RM4223 3-way refridgerator.

One thing got added to the 'going to install' list this week....we have found we have room for an Atwood furnace next to the on-demand heater as going to install that option as well.

Just to finish more pictures of the new skins.....because they look so nice!!!!!

Looking through the front screen,

Looking through the back window,

Old 01-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Happy New Year's Martin!!! I am so happy for you. I always look forward to seeing your project progress. Please keep up the posting. Also very interested to see how your door idea turns out. :-D
Old 01-02-2015, 05:56 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Can't wait for chilly man!! Good luck!!!!
Old 01-08-2015, 05:45 PM   #62
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
New floor is installed, but covered up to prevent damage so not visible; but the installation of the wetroom marks the first on the final cabinetry in place so worth a photo.

The maple is the final finish for all the cabinetry so hopefully a taste of things to come. Helps when there is a 2015 Flying Cloud parked next door to steal design ideas from!

Today I dropped off the Excalibur 8500 furnace and the Dometic RM4223 refer, but also did a deal with the guys to supply the drapes and upholstery....and a matching rope and pole awning.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 PM   #63
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Beds going in, including building a 'cubby' to store the Zamp solar panel (under the drivers side bed).

The night stand is in, which houses the AC/heater, the Honda EU2000i generator (or will when Honda start shipping them to their vendors - we have had one on order from Wise since before the holidays and everyone seems out of stock) both accessible from outside, and the top is the pull out table (or will be when the Hafele slider system is installed).

Slight delay on the kitchen and night stand countertops as we have changed planned at the last minute. We switched to laminate rather than composite a month or more back, but Formica have just launched their Ideal Edge in our chosen laminate color so now we can have a 'fancy edge' on the counter....apart from it is a special order from the factory and will take a couple of weeks to arrive.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:48 PM   #64
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Called in the shop this morning to drop off the shower head system and the close-outs for the Vista Views (we got some original style ones from Inland RV to see if they will work, if not we will need some custom ones).

Bed bases are complete

Hafele pull-out table is in - works great

Old 01-17-2015, 02:52 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Great progress, looking great
Old 01-18-2015, 09:28 AM   #66
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
Hi Martin, I think it's great the reconstruction process, and saw that has coated the inside with aluminum plates, I wonder you have no fear when the outside temperature is low and the inside with the heating is higher than the walls begin to perspire. I spend a camper truck once frames aluminum windows were freezing temperatures outside, began to sweat a lot
follow you so, from here we send forces
Herman
Old 01-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #67
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Hi Herman, yes the inner skins are aluminum. The RV shop doing the work is my local Airstream dealer and so all the insulation and skins are from the current Airstream range (they where able to order the panels to fit). So, we should only have the same problems you would expect to have with a new Airstream, and ventilation will be key.

To help we are having two Fantastic-Fan vents installed, one in place of the previous vent and one in the opening originally from the AC. These are luckily above the sink/burner/wetroom and above the beds and having two fans means we can create a flow of air. Also the AC/heater is ducted and the flow is being ducted to the front of the kitchen area, with return under the beds - again to create flow.

In addition we are having the area under the windows/above the mattress, upholstered, so that when sleeping we won't be laying against the aluminum, which will help.

Although lots of planning and testing (we temporarily installed the AC/heater and had it on test monitoring the flow of air for several days before finalizing the layout), really the proof will be when we are able to get out and use it.

If everything goes to plan, in maybe 2 or 3 years we will be touring in Europe with the Argosy so maybe we can stop by and show you in person?

I drive in Europe very often, for example for most of 2013 I was working in Antwerp (only maybe 2 hours from you) and was driving back to my house in the UK each Friday evening, returning early on Monday morning, and in the past I used to regularly drive to Dusseldorf and Frankfurt (and further south) from the UK for work. So really looking forward to spending some time driving of pleasure rather than because I need to!
Old 01-18-2015, 11:33 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Can't wait to see it!!!

I've found that leaving our bathroom and shower vents open (except when AC is on) helps prevent moisture buildup. Cold nights without the vents open tend to attract breath moisture on the walls. It's counterintuitive but it works for us.

Good luck!!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:23 AM   #69
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
Hi Martin
I think the solution very good air circulation, take this into account for my Motorhome.
of course when you come to Europe not forgive you if you do not go through here (Düsseldorf) to enjoy a good beer.
well I let you keep working and please keep posting pictures of their progress
Herman
ps If you need anything from here, please glad I can help
Old 01-31-2015, 04:42 PM   #70
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
With the kitchen cabinets now in place, the guys have been able to install the new Dometic RM4223 refrigerator, Atwood on-demand water heater and Hydro Flame furnace, which, just as importantly means the access doors and vents for all those are also finalized so the guys could fit a new outer skin along the drivers side.

Good progress despite the 3ft of snow that got dumped on the shop this week....and we are expecting another foot to 18" early Monday morning.