Old 06-12-2016, 01:45 PM   #673
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Martin - so glad to FINALLY see Bella live!!! What a great great motor home! Best to you and Diane and thanks for sharing the rig tour!!
Likewise to see your 'emergency exit' mod Steve. Hopefully it gets added to the options list by the factory, it is certainly worth everyone considering.

Old 06-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #674
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Another successful shake down trip this weekend; WBCCI NEU 60th anniversary rally, significantly no rush to get home afterwards as Friday was my last day at work and I am now 'retired'.

The reduction in stress levels is enormous and unexpected, and along with that comes a more relaxed attitude to the niggly issues with Bella. For example AS NE had attempted to fix the fuel gauge issue (where the gauge works backwards) by swapping the two wires. Even I could have told them that was never going to work. The current sender indicates approx 120Ω empty and 30Ω full which actually is visualized as, empty = the gauge is nailed to the 'full' end stop, and full= around 1/4 on the gauge. So do I get the new body work removed to allow the tank to be dropped, to fit a new sender? Or do I just accept that the gauge reads backwards but otherwise works? At the moment.....who cares!

Old 06-12-2016, 03:11 PM   #675
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
... as Friday was my last day at work and I am now 'retired'.
Well, congratulations, Martin!! You must be thrilled to finally have some peace, since your job seemed to have been rather demanding and stressful with all the traveling.
Now, with all that free time, you should consider a hobby, like owning 2 20' Argosys. That would keep you busy.
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:08 PM   #676
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Another successful shake down trip this weekend; WBCCI NEU 60th anniversary rally, significantly no rush to get home afterwards as Friday was my last day at work and I am now 'retired'.

The reduction in stress levels is enormous and unexpected, and along with that comes a more relaxed attitude to the niggly issues with Bella. For example AS NE had attempted to fix the fuel gauge issue (where the gauge works backwards) by swapping the two wires. Even I could have told them that was never going to work. The current sender indicates approx 120Ω empty and 30Ω full which actually is visualized as, empty = the gauge is nailed to the 'full' end stop, and full= around 1/4 on the gauge. So do I get the new body work removed to allow the tank to be dropped, to fit a new sender? Or do I just accept that the gauge reads backwards but otherwise works? At the moment.....who cares!
I hope you don't get too bored now that you're retired

I'm going to talk to a few people at work about your gauge issue. The stock 1975 gauges is expecting 0-90 ohms and I think 90 is full.

Is the idle speed holding where it needs to be?
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 06:34 PM   #677
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I hope you don't get too bored now that you're retired

I'm going to talk to a few people at work about your gauge issue. The stock 1975 gauges is expecting 0-90 ohms and I think 90 is full.

Is the idle speed holding where it needs to be?
Apparently post '98 GM went to a 230-30Ω gauge and I suspect the mechanic of the PO who made the tank installed a modern sender, but the level is hitting the bottom of the tank before fully extending.....well that's my theory anyway.

The fast idle has been OK, not good but OK, but I have one issue that has re-appeared. Even with the new gas cap (that supposedly vents both ways), once, when the tank was near empty, on a hot day, the tank massively over pressured - enough that the pressure was sufficient to make me struggle to hold the cap on to vent slowly. Think of containing a cork from a bottle of bubbly as you open it. It literally took 6-8 secs for the pressure to equalize and there is an associated clunk as the the tank. I am starting to think the early tank issues (when it leaked) could have been one of these events causing the tank to split, not bad welds. I can't think of anything that could pressurize the tank like this. As long as the tank is kept above half way there doesn't seem a problem. Short-term there is a small vent hole 'appeared' in the gas cap to stop the issue!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #678
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Apparently post '98 GM went to a 230-30Ω gauge and I suspect the mechanic of the PO who made the tank installed a modern sender, but the level is hitting the bottom of the tank before fully extending.....well that's my theory anyway.
Maybe you could put a Raspberry Pi in between the sending unit and the gauge and use it to invert the signal from the tank.

Quote:
The fast idle has been OK, not good but OK, but I have one issue that has re-appeared. Even with the new gas cap (that supposedly vents both ways), once, when the tank was near empty, on a hot day, the tank massively over pressured - enough that the pressure was sufficient to make me struggle to hold the cap on to vent slowly. Think of containing a cork from a bottle of bubbly as you open it. It literally took 6-8 secs for the pressure to equalize and there is an associated clunk as the the tank. I am starting to think the early tank issues (when it leaked) could have been one of these events causing the tank to split, not bad welds. I can't think of anything that could pressurize the tank like this. As long as the tank is kept above half way there doesn't seem a problem. Short-term there is a small vent hole 'appeared' in the gas cap to stop the issue!
I can't say that I've ever heard of a gas tank that pressurizes itself!

Is it possible the fuel in use today is having some sort of chemical reaction with the insides of the aluminum tank? As the the tank empties more oxygen by volume is in the tank. Maybe there's something inside the tank that doesn't like oxygen. Didn't you say at one point when the tank was being repaired they were having a hard time figuring out what type of aluminum the tank was made from?

I think I need to learn from this and make sure I have a way to remove my tank without pulling the side panels.

Brad
Old 06-13-2016, 06:50 AM   #679
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
I had no idea you were so close to retirement Martin, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Heres hoping for many miles of adventure in bella Bella!

Mike n Lynn
Old 06-13-2016, 01:58 PM   #680
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
A cheap alternative would be to install an aftermarket gauge that hangs under the dash. Not the best but at least it would read the right direction!
Old 06-13-2016, 02:49 PM   #681
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:

I can't say that I've ever heard of a gas tank that pressurizes itself!
After a little research it appears this was a very common problem on C2 Corvettes and although supplied with a vented cap from the factory, that consisted of a hole in the cap with a short hose extending on the inside.

The issue I have is there doesn't seem to be consistence between the aftermarket parts guys and the equivalent part number (even same part number in some cases) is listed as 'vented', or 'for non-emission controlled systems' or for 'EC systems'.

It appears a true vented 1 3/8" diameter, deep cam, fuel cap is no longer available and as the non-EC only vents in, and the EC doesn't vent at all, I am stuck with the little hole to prevent over pressure.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #682
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayco View Post
I had no idea you were so close to retirement Martin, CONGRATULATIONS!!! Heres hoping for many miles of adventure in bella Bella!

Mike n Lynn
Hi Mike, I tired it once before back in 2007...was living in NJ and quit my job and moved back to the UK.

The intention then was to keep my hand in by doing a few days consultancy work per month. 18 months later I was working full-time with the consultancy and one of the companies that I was doing work for convinced me to join them.

When I did I said I would come back to the US for 5-10 years until the project they wanted me to do was done. Well that was 7 1/2 years ago and the project is done, all the other competitors are now copying, so it is time to drop back to consultancy and try again to do a few days work a month, and in between time travel, relax, and enjoy ourselves!!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 03:12 PM   #683
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
A cheap alternative would be to install an aftermarket gauge that hangs under the dash. Not the best but at least it would read the right direction!
I was thinking of removing the current gauge and scratching the paint off the lowest bar on the E, and painting an extra bar on the bottom of the F, then refitting!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:01 PM   #684
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
After a little research it appears this was a very common problem on C2 Corvettes and although supplied with a vented cap from the factory, that consisted of a hole in the cap with a short hose extending on the inside.
So you're saying the pressurization is normal and the problem was your cap not being vented?

Quote:
The issue I have is there doesn't seem to be consistence between the aftermarket parts guys and the equivalent part number (even same part number in some cases) is listed as 'vented', or 'for non-emission controlled systems' or for 'EC systems'.

It appears a true vented 1 3/8" diameter, deep cam, fuel cap is no longer available and as the non-EC only vents in, and the EC doesn't vent at all, I am stuck with the little hole to prevent over pressure.
As long as the vent hole works then it sounds like you have it whipped!
Old 06-13-2016, 08:02 PM   #685
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I was thinking of removing the current gauge and scratching the paint off the lowest bar on the E, and painting an extra bar on the bottom of the F, then refitting!
Hmm, that doesn't sound like something a normal person would do that just spent a small ransom on rebuilding their motorhome
Old 06-13-2016, 08:39 PM   #686
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Hmm, that doesn't sound like something a normal person would do that just spent a small ransom on rebuilding their motorhome
But a normal person wouldn't spend a small ransom on one of these little beauties.....anyway our A class Mercedes has a fuel gauge that reads left to right as it empties so I am sort of used to it!!!