Old 05-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #631
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Wow, just caught up with your paint job Martin. STUNNING. The original color scheme is amazing. Well done.

Old 05-14-2016, 08:17 AM   #632
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1463231763.935181.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	262507

The Argosy line up at the motorhome gathering.....before the rain set in!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1463231854.816911.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	262508

Old 05-14-2016, 08:42 PM   #633
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Attachment 262507

The Argosy line up at the motorhome gathering.....before the rain set in!

Attachment 262508
Notice the red carpet rolled out for Bella....

Bella looked absolutely stunning. I would have to say the bar has been set pretty darn high
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 11:18 PM   #634
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Well I can say Bella has definitely had a fair shake-down and has stood up to it well....

We actually only picked her up out of paint last Wednesday, bought her home and had a issue with de-winterizing (in that I had forgotten about the hidden faucets in the fold up basin, in the wetroom. so filled the wetroom grey tank to overflowing; but that is a story for another day) which meant we headed out Thursday morning, partially antifreeze free, and with less than 40 miles on her since the new brakes/suspension/steering.

I decided to avoid the freeway for the first 50miles, firstly so I could pull over if needed, but also to let 'things' bed in a little before putting on some faster miles. That done the next 200 down to Joseph Migliore's place in NJ, were uneventful, although with the original 3-speed trans and no overdrive meant the little 350 small block is spinning pretty fast.

Friday started with a quick check of fluids - all OK, but added a little oil in case, followed by a rain drenched 320miles across to Penn Wood and the motorhome get together - and wow what a reception from all the folks that arrived before us; and big thank you to all the comments and remarks.

The return journey was a little shorter, being direct, but Bella punched out the 550miles in about 10 hours (on the road + a couple of hours stop over), for a total of a little over 1100miles/4days.

About the only issue that has come up is a slow worsening of a fast idle issue when hot - I will get the timing/carb adjusted to see if it helps, and I am going to change the oil because we have no idea of the history of the engine.

Lots of great photos on the motorhome get together thread but one here to show why we wanted a little 20ft.......you can not only go anywhere the bigger rigs can go, you can stop anywhere a ful size pick-up can, as they fit perfectly in a regular size parking stop!

Old 05-16-2016, 06:31 AM   #635
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, did you try replacing your gas tank cap yet? Definitely worth trying before looking at any thing else.

Another easy check is to make sure the distributor clamp is tight.

Great picture by the way!

Brad
Old 05-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #636
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Martin, did you try replacing your gas tank cap yet? Definitely worth trying before looking at any thing else.

Another easy check is to make sure the distributor clamp is tight.

Great picture by the way!

Brad
Not yet Brad. The local NAPA looked at me a little strange and said, what is a vented gas cap?

NAPA online shows this part (http://www.napaonline.com/napa/en/p/...220_0439984149) but it is out-of-stock everywhere

May simply try a plastic "emergency" one to see if it helps.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:18 AM   #637
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The Napa listing doesn't say if it's vented or non vented. Also you can't buy the cap based on chevy P30 because the filler neck was added by Airstream.

Your best bet is to take it to various stores until you find a match, then buy two!
Old 05-16-2016, 07:05 PM   #638
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Martin300662,

It was so good to meet you, the mistress, and your wife! Thanks for coming out!
Old 05-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #639
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:

Lots of great photos on the motorhome get together thread but one here to show why we wanted a little 20ft.......you can not only go anywhere the bigger rigs can go, you can stop anywhere a ful size pick-up can, as they fit perfectly in a regular size parking stop!

I see a ton of space to park my 310 to the left of your coach, and not have to worry about some yahoo in a full size F-250 backing into the spot on my door side, blocking access to my door. Just saying, I always park the rig that someone can't park up against my door side.

Nice to have met you and your wife Martin. I wish you many fun filled adventures with Bella. Also looking forward to seeing Peanut one day.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:23 PM   #640
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Thanks for the comments guys. The event felt so special that many life long friendships were formed/cemented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
The Napa listing doesn't say if it's vented or non vented. Also you can't buy the cap based on chevy P30 because the filler neck was added by Airstream.

Your best bet is to take it to various stores until you find a match, then buy two!

I found an old school NAPA who recognized the current gas cap as a 1970's Chevy. However when he looked it up it isn't vented. I was assuming what I had was vented but the vent was blocked. A little more searching on his catalogue showed the vented version of the same had a different set of 'ears'. He didn't have any in stock but was happy to order a few from the central warehouse to try. Should be in tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #641
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Second shakedown trip with Bella this weekend. New gas cap means the tank is venting properly but the high idle appears to be getting worse when hot so next step is to put it in to get the timing and carb setup checked. Otherwise a beautiful weekend on Salisbury Beach campground with the NEU WBCCI (50 or so trailers as well as a couple of Interstates, a Legacy, an early 28 Excella and Bella), plus over 100 vintage trailers. Downside is we must have had 60-70 people want to come look at her, and many folks came back 2, 3, 4 even more times to look again and take photos.

Also getting used to having a small entourage of cars/trucks etc buzzing around us waving, hooting, taking photos as we drive along, but I think we set a new level for people wanting to take a look at her when a guy showed up on Saturday and asked to look inside. After chatting to him for a while it became clear he wasn't even camping. He had seen us drive past his house with Bella the day before, and had spent his Saturday driving around local campsite trying to find us.
Old 05-22-2016, 02:00 PM   #642
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Also getting used to having a small entourage of cars/trucks etc buzzing around us waving, hooting, taking photos as we drive along, but I think we set a new level for people wanting to take a look at her when a guy showed up on Saturday and asked to look inside. After chatting to him for a while it became clear he wasn't even camping. He had seen us drive past his house with Bella the day before, and had spent his Saturday driving around local campsite trying to find us.
You can't get a better compliment than that!

As for the high idle, it might be worth it to check to see if the bolt is tight that holds the distributor in place. If it's loose the distributor might be rotating slightly. Use a 9/16" wrench and give the bolt a tug to see if its tight.
Old 05-24-2016, 12:25 AM   #643
1 Rivet Member

1975 20' Argosy 20
Coalville , Leicestershire
Welcome to our world Martin, expect the same over here when you arrive.When most people step inside the first thing they say is WOW !!!, so expect a double WOW !!! with Bella. ( ours is a little tired inside ) Last weekend we actually had a line of people round to the spare wheel wanting a look inside. & one lady even tried to stop Debbie getting in as she thought she was pushing in ! & as for traveling get used to being looked at & people doing strange things. A couple in a Austin Healey slammed their brakes on in frount of us so that their friends in another car could take their photo with us behind them ?? They then just waved & sped off.
We are off to the Enfield Pagent of Motoring this weekend A large show with quite a lot of American vehicles in a special fenced off area next to the show ring. You can see pics from last year on their website, although we did not get our pic taken ( we are not polished but painted, get used to the comments of 'ruined that Airstream by painting it ' )
So enjoy a new chapter in your life .
Phil
Old 05-24-2016, 05:28 AM   #644
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Second shakedown trip with Bella this weekend. New gas cap means the tank is venting properly but the high idle appears to be getting worse when hot so next step is to put it in to get the timing and carb setup checked. Otherwise a beautiful weekend on Salisbury Beach campground with the NEU WBCCI (50 or so trailers as well as a couple of Interstates, a Legacy, an early 28 Excella and Bella), plus over 100 vintage trailers. Downside is we must have had 60-70 people want to come look at her, and many folks came back 2, 3, 4 even more times to look again and take photos.

And I missed the inside tour!!!! 😕

Absolutely stunning to see it live. Truly beautiful - congrats!!!