Old 02-19-2016, 06:29 PM   #533
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Totally unrelated to Bella, but the move back to the UK got a lot more 'real' today....Flights for Denise and Missy dog got booked (although Denise will be coming back a forth for a while), we bought a little Mercedes A class as a runabout, the realtor has been in to work up the plan for selling our house here, and the shipping company is working up the quote for our belongings (including what seems like half a second Argosy MH!)
Did you buy the Mercedes here or in the UK?

You know, if you bought another Argosy and just filled it with your spares it would be easier to deal with. It could be a roll on/roll off affair instead of using a sea container!

bkahler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:25 PM   #534
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregsch View Post
Funny how you think about things " in the future " and one day you wake up and it is the present. Can be a real eye opener. Are you retiring to UK or moving there to work?
I'm a firm believer in 'never say never'.....

Nearly ten years ago, I was living in the US (New Jersey), working for the biggest company in my field and was a 'change agent' in that company. But they told me to chose between a permanent relocation or trigger a package and head back to UK.

I did the second and started consultancy as a 'hobby job'; house was already paid for and I planned to just do enough work to get by - I went into semi-retirement.

Couple of years later and I was doing work for 3 of the 5 biggest companies in my field (including my previous employer) and it certainly didn't feel like a hobby! So when when one of the smaller companies approached me and asked me to help them re-invent how they do business; I thought 'why not' and we packed our bags and headed back to US (Boston).

Well that job is now done, not only did we change how they did business we changed the way the whole industry works.

So....that job is done...I need a rest...but all the other companies in the field still need help (I have three job offers on the table). We are selling up and moving our stuff back to UK, but we will come back to US and full-time in Bella for a while, and then see if I want to stick with the 'hobby job' or see if another company is up for seeing if there is a better way to do business!

Old 02-19-2016, 07:36 PM   #535
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Did you buy the Mercedes here or in the UK?
In the UK Brad. Mercedes never imported the early A class to the US but they are a very popular small car in the UK. The new CLA is a global model, but the A class it replaced is a sub-compact, more like its beefed up version of its sister the SMART.

We call it a 'city car'.
Old 02-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #536
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, maybe you could go to work at Airstream and change the way they do business

You have a very impressive resume, how many years have you been in the industry?
Old 02-19-2016, 08:04 PM   #537
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
In the UK Brad. Mercedes never imported the early A class to the US but they are a very popular small car in the UK. The new CLA is a global model, but the A class it replaced is a sub-compact, more like its beefed up version of its sister the SMART.

We call it a 'city car'.
Oops, when I saw "A Class" my mind interpreted it as "Class A" I jumped to the conclusion that you had bought a Mercedes motorhome
Old 02-19-2016, 09:42 PM   #538
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Martin, maybe you could go to work at Airstream and change the way they do business

You have a very impressive resume, how many years have you been in the industry?
Hmmm.....for an industry to change, they have to want to change/have a driver for change.

In Airstream's case all the time there are more people with the dream of owning something iconic, than disillusioned by how poorly they are currently put together, they will sell all the products they make and don't need to change. But it is incredibility short-sighted as they are in a lucky position that currently nostalgia drives leisure, and rather than taking to opportunity to improve their product they are instead focusing on making more of the same (expanding not improving), and even talking of making cheaper (worse) products that will sell because people want a label - they are focused on cashing in to the trend. As soon as people want a different 'label' they will be dead in the water, its not a sustainable business model.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:35 AM   #539
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, all of that makes perfect sense.

Please the share holders above all else. Unfortunately that pretty much describes every corporate business in America
Old 02-20-2016, 04:05 PM   #540
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
You know, if you bought another Argosy and just filled it with your spares it would be easier to deal with. It could be a roll on/roll off affair instead of using a sea container!
Well this got me thinking and if this was closer I think I would be taking a look!

http://westslope.craigslist.org/rvs/5432567943.html

Old 02-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #541
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
A trailer! I assume you'd be towing it with the truck that you're looking for (8.1/6-speed).

I would think a trailer might be a little harder to ship as it might be a little harder to tie down while on the ship.
Old 02-20-2016, 06:02 PM   #542
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
A trailer! I assume you'd be towing it with the truck that you're looking for (8.1/6-speed).

I would think a trailer might be a little harder to ship as it might be a little harder to tie down while on the ship.
Ah, but there is some reasoning behind my suggestion.

1) A trailer in the UK (there they are called a caravan) need no registration, show the tow vehicle license tags, do not have to have an annual inspection, and have a greater potential for re-sale.

2) The 6.0 meter is small enough to be pulled without needing a 3/4 ton truck; although it will probably need more than the little A Class!

3) There is going to be a period where Bella is still here, and we will be bouncing back and forth, so we will have we can camp both here and there. We have already reached out to the European chapter of WBCCI and plan to join them for some events.

4) My folks, Mum & Dad, and Brother and his family are 'caravaners' and pull a SOB to the UK car shows using a rebuilt Morris Van and I am sure they would love to have a small Argosy trailer after Bella arrives.

5) It's a trailer! What better way to haul the stuff that is going back to the UK!
Old 02-21-2016, 07:06 AM   #543
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Ah, but there is some reasoning behind my suggestion.

1) A trailer in the UK (there they are called a caravan) need no registration, show the tow vehicle license tags, do not have to have an annual inspection, and have a greater potential for re-sale.
That laxness about trailers surprises me. On regular vehicles it seems the UK is much more strict than most of the U.S I would have expected the same for trailers.

Quote:
2) The 6.0 meter is small enough to be pulled without needing a 3/4 ton truck; although it will probably need more than the little A Class!
Oh, I don't know, your little A Class might be up to it

However Bella should be able to pull it just fine.

Quote:
3) There is going to be a period where Bella is still here, and we will be bouncing back and forth, so we will have we can camp both here and there. We have already reached out to the European chapter of WBCCI and plan to join them for some events.

4) My folks, Mum & Dad, and Brother and his family are 'caravaners' and pull a SOB to the UK car shows using a rebuilt Morris Van and I am sure they would love to have a small Argosy trailer after Bella arrives.
I can't argue this point!
Old 02-26-2016, 10:31 AM   #544
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Mainly body work progress this week.

Firstly Bella has a new front access panel

New paneling to cover the fuel tank and around the lower front fender.

And the plastic Dometic fridge vents are replaced by aluminum Norcold units.

Also the full scope of the hidden damage is now exposed, and the shop is deciding if one or two panels need replacing.

One new issue came up.....Bella only has the original inner wheel well trims, the outers went missing between the PO in Connecticut and the PO in Florida (when the body was off). Apparently replacements are 'obtainable' so the plan was to remove the (slightly larger ones from the donor) and move them over. It was a great plan except the shop can't get the old ones off without destroying them, so I am on the hunt for either a way to remove the donor ones or some replacements.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:44 PM   #545
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Unfortunately that looks like a two panel repair job

I'm anxious to see your coach in May as I'll be taking a LOT of photos!
Old 03-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #546
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Rear view cameras going into the light panel

One looks straight back and is wired to replace the rear view mirror, one is looking down to act as a 'hitch view' camera for hitching up but also to keep a check on the hitch mounted systems (carrier and/or bike rack).