Old 02-15-2016, 02:16 PM   #519
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I have just been over the ASNE to discuss in person and I think I understand where they are coming from.

The quote for 'prep and painting' is the 80 hours plus materials so not a million miles off the pricing Joseph shared but also what I had been given by a couple of other local body shops (I have a auto/marine body shop about 400yds from my house that can take big rigs and ocean going yachts).

However I had also asked for a special treatment on the roof (coating with ceramic reflective membrane) which requires all the sealant they installed last year to be taken out and re-done)

Then there is the bigger body work issues. They are including time to do significant prep and finish on the new front valance - if it is not needed they will not charge. They have also included in the estimate to replace 3 of the body panels along the rear three-quarter on the passenger side and all along the passenger side flank. This is because one of the previous owners 'bodged' a repair by riveting a panel over the original (actually over a seam on the original)

It could be that when that panel is removed there is a less extensive repair needed, maybe no replacement panel is needed at all. If they don't need to replace I wont get charged.

Lastly they have quoted to make replacement compartment doors all they way around the underfloor. This is because I have asked they get the metal of the panels to line up not make up with bondo etc.

I will just have to carefully manage them and make sure they only do what is needed, but also that they do what I am asking them to do.

As a slight aside the window is already in! Bob the tech that does the panel work had already move the strengthener (actually replaced it with a later type) and was just installing the last rivet as I arrived.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:33 PM   #520
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Door window looks good!

I would think any work needed on the valance after it's pulled from the mold might be slight trimming around the edges, cutting the holes where the bumper supports stick out and slight contouring of the two spots where the valance mates with the wheel well trim. I did ask how close the contours would be on the new pieces and he said they should be pretty much identical to the original valance.

If the valance needs any finishing work other than the above I'll be surprised and possibly a little disappointed.

I have a suggestion for the two forward facing front bumper supports. One of the biggest hassles I had was dealing with four bumper supports that protruded through the valance. One on each side and two in front. The two facing forward caused the biggest grief because the valance has to be fitted starting at one side and sort of wrapped around to the other side. The forward supports get in the way so the opening have to be enlarged just to allow the valance to fit.

So I made a change to my forward facing supports as shown in the picture below.
Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-front-bumper-new-mount.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	182.3 KB
ID:	257335

I made removable supports so that the forward supports aren't in the way while fitting the valance. This will allow for much smaller holes in the valance for the supports and it made things a whole lot easier as I was installing and removing the valance a few months ago.

I used 3/8" x 2" flat bar and bent the ends to match the slight angle of the bumper. I also trimmed about 2" off the forward supports so they no longer protrude through the valance. The change allows for much smaller holes in the valance and makes installing and removing the valance a LOT easier.

One other reason I did this was due to the inflexibility of fiberglass compared to ABS plastic. The original valance is somewhat flexible due to it being plastic. I don't think the fiberglass valance will be quite as forgiving when it comes to trying to force it over protruding supports!

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:05 PM   #521
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I am sure my supports which face forward will need to be re-positioned slightly anyway. I put a level on them and although they are level at the bulk-head, the passenger side slopes very slightly forward, so the bumper is slightly lower on the passenger side.

Fitting would certainly be easier if the valance is in three parts, are they still trying to make them one piece?
Old 02-15-2016, 08:42 PM   #522
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
The drivers side front support on mine was bent when I got the Argosy and I bent it even worse at one point so I spent some time forcing it back into position and then welding it in position.

If you would like I can get two more flat stock supports fabricated to match the ones I made, probably a whole lot cheaper than having ASNE would charge. All ASNE would have to do is drill a three holes in each forward support for mounting purposes.

I agree it would be easier in three parts and I did discuss that with Fiberglass Solutions however I think it was something like a $500 adder and they still have to make the mold in one piece the first time. They would then have to cut the mold into 3 pieces and then add the overlap flanges to two of the three pieces. On top of that they would have to reinforce the 3 molds to ensure they retain their shape. Only then could they start producing pieces. My guess that would probably add several weeks before parts could be produced.

I like the idea of 3 pieces but I'll defer to whatever you want to do in that regard.
Old 02-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #523
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Let's go with the single piece Brad; worse comes to worse it can be cut and bonded during installation, that's the great plus of using fiberglass.

My front bumper actual bolts through those 'bunny ears' (using a carriage bolt) so I am not sure your design will work? I can get some photos later in the week so you can see what I mean.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:55 AM   #524
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Let's go with the single piece Brad; worse comes to worse it can be cut and bonded during installation, that's the great plus of using fiberglass.
The only other downside to a one piece valance is it will likely be considerably heavier than the ABS version. That might make it harder for a single individual to install or remove it. I'll likely have to get someone to assist when I get ready to install it.

Quote:
My front bumper actual bolts through those 'bunny ears' (using a carriage bolt) so I am not sure your design will work? I can get some photos later in the week so you can see what I mean.
Mine was bolted up somewhat differently originally but the front supports did have the bunny ears. I just cut the support short enough to be behind the bumper. The piece I fabricated can be made long enough to mate with the existing hole in the front bumper. Shouldn't be difficult at all.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:44 PM   #525
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
So today's flurry of activity is......

The Magnum is working! (yeah) Turned out both batteries had gone bad and aren't holding charge so the Magnum stayed firmly 'turned-off' to protect itself from possible damage

Way back in the rebuild I needed a fifth Vista View window as the donor only had four. At the time the only source was Airstream Supply. When it arrived it was found to be double-paned, and condensation go in between the panes as soon as we used it. So the shop have broken out the inner pane and installed some of the Can-AM RV gasket to fill the gap. So we can now see out of the wetroom Vista View!

I temporarily installed a dual rear view camera system - one camera replacing the rear-view mirror, one looking down at the hitch. I have picked up some better quality cameras with low light vision capability and the guys at the shop have permanently installed, installed all the cabling/switch/etc.

Seems lots of progress quickly (for a change)
Old 02-17-2016, 05:40 PM   #526
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Wow! One battery must have died taking the other one with it, or you just got a bad batch of batteries. Glad to hear the Magnum took care of itself.

If I don't end up using a Vista View in my bathroom I've got a couple extra on the shelf....

Looking forward to pictures of the backside of Bella...
Old 02-18-2016, 07:54 AM   #527
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Wow! One battery must have died taking the other one with it, or you just got a bad batch of batteries. Glad to hear the Magnum took care of itself.

If I don't end up using a Vista View in my bathroom I've got a couple extra on the shelf....

Looking forward to pictures of the backside of Bella...
Actually I think the battery situation was maybe a bit more dramatic. I think I have shared that I 'cheap-ed out' and had the shop install two wet cells, trying to buy some time until the Li polymer market stabilizes. The shop also installed a 'automatic top-up system' for the wet cells, which basically leaves a tubular reservoir of distilled water connected to the wet cells, to drip feed. Well this maybe OK in Florida, but having unprotected, pure water (no antifreeze) in the North East in Winter, with the MH stuck outside for 4 months appears to have had the expected destructive effect

I actually, now, have a spare single pane Vista View (curved) as well as two flat ones (supplied (in my mind) in error; sellers (even if Airstream dealers) don't understand the difference between a stack window (a flat window that sits above or below an existing window) and a Vista View (a curved profile window that goes into the roof line) - sorry rant over!), and one of the discussions on Monday was remove the inner pane vs replace the window - remove the pane won.
Old 02-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #528
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Actually I think the battery situation was maybe a bit more dramatic. I think I have shared that I 'cheap-ed out' and had the shop install two wet cells, trying to buy some time until the Li polymer market stabilizes. The shop also installed a 'automatic top-up system' for the wet cells, which basically leaves a tubular reservoir of distilled water connected to the wet cells, to drip feed. Well this maybe OK in Florida, but having unprotected, pure water (no antifreeze) in the North East in Winter, with the MH stuck outside for 4 months appears to have had the expected destructive effect
I've never heard heard of an automatic top-up system. Not sure I understand the need for one

Quote:
I actually, now, have a spare single pane Vista View (curved) as well as two flat ones (supplied (in my mind) in error; sellers (even if Airstream dealers) don't understand the difference between a stack window (a flat window that sits above or below an existing window) and a Vista View (a curved profile window that goes into the roof line) - sorry rant over!), and one of the discussions on Monday was remove the inner pane vs replace the window - remove the pane won.
For some reason I thought both panes could be removed with the frame still in place. I guess I was wrong.

By the way, if you're collecting stack windows I've got some you can have to add to your collection
Old 02-18-2016, 09:03 PM   #529
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
I've never heard heard of an automatic top-up system. Not sure I understand the need for one
This is what they installed http://www.janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mv...y_Code=BWS_12V

The shop was concerned at the electrolyte use/battery maintenance if routinely left on shore-power, but the consequences of using the watering system seem worse than what it was trying to protect against!

Quote:
For some reason I thought both panes could be removed with the frame still in place. I guess I was wrong.
Apparently there are three types of double pane, and the most common either require removal/splitting the frame, or breaking the glass.

Quote:
By the way, if you're collecting stack windows I've got some you can have to add to your collection
I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not collect more!!!!!
Old 02-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #530
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Totally unrelated to Bella, but the move back to the UK got a lot more 'real' today....Flights for Denise and Missy dog got booked (although Denise will be coming back a forth for a while), we bought a little Mercedes A class as a runabout, the realtor has been in to work up the plan for selling our house here, and the shipping company is working up the quote for our belongings (including what seems like half a second Argosy MH!)
Old 02-19-2016, 04:18 PM   #531
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Funny how you think about things " in the future " and one day you wake up and it is the present. Can be a real eye opener. Are you retiring to UK or moving there to work?
Old 02-19-2016, 06:27 PM   #532
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
This is what they installed http://www.janwp.com/mm5/merchant.mv...y_Code=BWS_12V

The shop was concerned at the electrolyte use/battery maintenance if routinely left on shore-power, but the consequences of using the watering system seem worse than what it was trying to protect against!
Interesting device. I can say that while the 310 was parked here (2009 thru 2015) it was always plugged in and never had issues with the batteries. I did replace the batteries once during that period but the batteries were bought new in 2007 so I'm not to surprised that I replaced them once.

Quote:
Apparently there are three types of double pane, and the most common either require removal/splitting the frame, or breaking the glass.
Interesting. I ought to look at the windows I have and see if the glass can be removed without breaking.

Quote:
I'm trying to get rid of stuff, not collect more!!!!!
If you're looking for sympathy you're talking to the wrong person about that