Old 02-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #491
2 Rivet Member

1988 34.5' Airstream 345
Ham Lake , Minnesota
Backing up a few days to the transmission not shifting issue. I am glad you found the culprit, and I will be checking the same vacuum lines in our 345 as soon as it warms up a little.

One thing I've noticed is that the torque converter lockup does not happen if the transmission is a little low on fluid. If I notice the engine running a few hundred RPM faster than usual at highway speed, then at the next stop I check the dipstick and I find it is a half quart low. After adding just enough to reach the full line everything works normally.

My transmission may not be typical. The plan for 2016 is to drop the pan, install a new filter, and refill with fresh fluid.

Thanks for the inspiration. Between you and Steve I'm beginning to get some ambition for working on our old 345.

Old 02-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #492
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Paul, if your 345 has an overdrive transmission with lockup then it most likely does not use vacuum for shifting.

Do you know which transmission you have?

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:41 AM   #493
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul and Tam View Post
Backing up a few days to the transmission not shifting issue. I am glad you found the culprit, and I will be checking the same vacuum lines in our 345 as soon as it warms up a little.

One thing I've noticed is that the torque converter lockup does not happen if the transmission is a little low on fluid. If I notice the engine running a few hundred RPM faster than usual at highway speed, then at the next stop I check the dipstick and I find it is a half quart low. After adding just enough to reach the full line everything works normally.

My transmission may not be typical. The plan for 2016 is to drop the pan, install a new filter, and refill with fresh fluid.

Thanks for the inspiration. Between you and Steve I'm beginning to get some ambition for working on our old 345.
I am actually suspicious that almost the opposite occurred in our case. Because of lack of previous use the trans oil seal was leaking a little (with some use it has wetted and expanded and stop leaking now), but that meant the trans oil level was low. The shop noticed this and topped it up, after which it appears Bella stopped upshifting because of the weak vacuum (I believe). I bought the new modulator so will fit it when I get a chance just to make sure there isn't an underlying issue.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 AM   #494
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
So I was working on some small tasks in Bella the night before last night and the 'lights went out'. I was plugged into the shoreline so it took a little while to realize the Battery Doctor had isolated the batteries (because they had dropped to 12.0v), but that had happened because the Magnum MMS inverter is not powering up (may never have restarted since we got Bella back at the weekend).

After trying the recommended resets etc and a couple of emails with Magnum I realize it is serious when I get a message saying 'please ring this number when you are able to sit in front of the Magnum with a multi-meter, so tech services can talk you through some diagnostic tests'...... oh joy!
Old 02-04-2016, 11:38 AM   #495
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
So I was working on some small tasks in Bella the night before last night and the 'lights went out'. I was plugged into the shoreline so it took a little while to realize the Battery Doctor had isolated the batteries (because they had dropped to 12.0v), but that had happened because the Magnum MMS inverter is not powering up (may never have restarted since we got Bella back at the weekend).

After trying the recommended resets etc and a couple of emails with Magnum I realize it is serious when I get a message saying 'please ring this number when you are able to sit in front of the Magnum with a multi-meter, so tech services can talk you through some diagnostic tests'...... oh joy!
Ouch, that's got to be frustrating.

Hopefully it's still under some sort of warranty.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:52 PM   #496
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I am hoping it is just one system stop another starting. But there is mains power direct so the A/C heater is working just all the 12v is dead, it is even showing an error on the battery tender if I plug in direct, so most likely a battery gone bad and everything else shutting down to prevent damage.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM   #497
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
It does sound like a bad battery. Any idea how old the batteries are?
Old 02-04-2016, 07:44 PM   #498
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
New last February Brad, but I did 'cheap out'. I plan to switch to Lithium Phosphate once the the prices come down, so had a couple of wet cells installed rather than AGMs, hoping they would last a couple of years....apparently they haven't.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM   #499
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Guess I have a little shoveling to do before I can investigate the power issue.

Hard to believe it was 64F on Monday and even 24 hours ago was still 55F. At least Bella sits down the side of the house so missed most of the 8-10in of wet snow that got dumped on us today.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM   #500
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
New last February Brad, but I did 'cheap out'. I plan to switch to Lithium Phosphate once the the prices come down, so had a couple of wet cells installed rather than AGMs, hoping they would last a couple of years....apparently they haven't.
One thing to think about is the fact that Bella has been some place else for a long time and if the shop doing the work used the coach batteries by turning lights on and off etc. then it's possible the batteries never had a chance to really charge well. I guess what I'm trying to say is the battery could have failed due to excessive draining with minimal or no charging taking place.

Just thinking out lout....
Old 02-05-2016, 03:32 PM   #501
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Guess I have a little shoveling to do before I can investigate the power issue.

Hard to believe it was 64F on Monday and even 24 hours ago was still 55F. At least Bella sits down the side of the house so missed most of the 8-10in of wet snow that got dumped on us today.
Ouch!
Old 02-07-2016, 06:57 AM   #502
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
One thing to think about is the fact that Bella has been some place else for a long time and if the shop doing the work used the coach batteries by turning lights on and off etc. then it's possible the batteries never had a chance to really charge well. I guess what I'm trying to say is the battery could have failed due to excessive draining with minimal or no charging taking place.

Just thinking out lout....
The Battery Doctor should have prevented that Brad, it is wired to isolate the batteries if the drop below 12.0v to prevent damage.

After some investigating it does appear the issue is on the charge circuit, or rather the mains voltage to the charge circuit. The 30amp is coming in fine to the distribution panel (a Parallex 80D), but it appears is not getting to all the sub-circuits. Confusingly the panel is supposed to be able to take the main breaker and up to 5 circuits, I only have 2 yet the entire breaker block opening is occupied....its almost like ASNE have installed the wrong type of breakers.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:16 AM   #503
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
The Battery Doctor should have prevented that Brad, it is wired to isolate the batteries if the drop below 12.0v to prevent damage.

After some investigating it does appear the issue is on the charge circuit, or rather the mains voltage to the charge circuit. The 30amp is coming in fine to the distribution panel (a Parallex 80D), but it appears is not getting to all the sub-circuits. Confusingly the panel is supposed to be able to take the main breaker and up to 5 circuits, I only have 2 yet the entire breaker block opening is occupied....its almost like ASNE have installed the wrong type of breakers.
Interesting problem. This may sound like a dumb question but have you verified that one of the breakers is not tripped? Sometimes the tripped position looks almost the same as the on position. I experienced just that situation while installing windows at my friends house yesterday. I just happened to hit a wire in the wall with not one but TWO screws and caused the breaker to trip. Didn't realized it had tripped until I turned off the breaker at which point I could tell that it had been tripped.

Have you pulled the breaker cover and peaked inside to see if the other three breakers have any wires connected to them?
Old 02-07-2016, 07:41 AM   #504
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
The breakers are definitely all on (I flipped them off and back on several times to make sure), and since posting I have confirmed the are the correct type (QP), it just appears the 20amp circuit to the Magnum (but also to a couple of outlets that are only live on shore/generator) is dead (or the supply to it is not live).

The breakers are only $4 at Lowes so I will change them and see what happens.