Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #393
4 Rivet Member

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
I'm with you Tony. I may not always know what I am doing but, when I take something apart and inspect it with my own eyes I do know what I have. Its a shame you can't trust someone to tell you the truth. When I first got my MoHo I took it all apart and inspected it. Rubber hoses, brake lines and wheel cylinders are cheap. If there is any doubt I just replace them.

Old 10-29-2015, 08:03 PM   #394
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
It's an impossibility that a front set of pads and a set of rear shoes could ever wear down in a few test drives. The rear cylinders wouldn't just blow without signs of leaking before hand. And for the rear rubber brake lines over the differential to blow, they would have to be pretty badly cracked. All of this is very visible and apparent if one actually removed wheels and rear drums to inspect. From what you have said and the damage/worn out parts that you describe, there is no way that anyone actually inspected your brakes.

At this point while you are in there and have things apart, replace all wheel bearings front and rear, especially if the rear axles have to be pulled to remove the drums. Also have the shop drop the cover from the differential and drain/refill the gear oil. This is money well spent at this point in time.

If the prior shop(s) had also inspected the suspension and steering components, or even if not, also have a competent suspension guy check it all out.

Good luck with all this, but if you have a shop at this point that has found all this out, I would bet that they know what they are doing!

Always have the shop show you in person what they have found and what they are doing. Any good shop will allow you to inspect the work as they move along. Always ask, ahead of time, for all replaced parts to be returned to you for inspection.

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 PM   #395
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
It's an impossibility that a front set of pads and a set of rear shoes could ever wear down in a few test drives. The rear cylinders wouldn't just blow without signs of leaking before hand. And for the rear rubber brake lines over the differential to blow, they would have to be pretty badly cracked. All of this is very visible and apparent if one actually removed wheels and rear drums to inspect. From what you have said and the damage/worn out parts that you describe, there is no way that anyone actually inspected your brakes.

At this point while you are in there and have things apart, replace all wheel bearings front and rear, especially if the rear axles have to be pulled to remove the drums. Also have the shop drop the cover from the differential and drain/refill the gear oil. This is money well spent at this point in time.

If the prior shop(s) had also inspected the suspension and steering components, or even if not, also have a competent suspension guy check it all out.

Good luck with all this, but if you have a shop at this point that has found all this out, I would bet that they know what they are doing!

Always have the shop show you in person what they have found and what they are doing. Any good shop will allow you to inspect the work as they move along. Always ask, ahead of time, for all replaced parts to be returned to you for inspection.
Agreed Dean

I have left the new shop to source the brake parts and ball joints (and I will add bearings on your advice), but these arrived today (new front and rear suspension and steering dampener - even though he has an account with Bilstein, he could not get them trade for what I paid on-line)

And the new bell cranks, crank arms and sway bar bushings are due to be delivered (from Henderson) by next Tuesday.

The mechanic advises the coils have been replaced and are HD so he would not replace...which makes a change from being told they had changed and charging when they hadn't.
Old 10-29-2015, 09:13 PM   #396
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Excellent choice on the Bilstein. Thats what I have on my 310 and on the all MH's I owned before.
Whilst you blowing all your hard earned cash, consider getting a set of Centramatics, at least for the front. I would do both axles, since those heavy drums are guaranteed to be out of balance.
Front:
Wheel Balancer 400-408 from Centramatic
rear:
Wheel Balancer 400-409 from Centramatic

If you decide to do that, I would call them and confirm the model number
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 04:03 PM   #397
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Front and rear both order....
Old 10-30-2015, 05:21 PM   #398
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Front and rear both order....
Awesome, I know you will drive all the way to Austin to thank me personally.
If you don't like them, a Texas size steak is on me.
You are a lucky guy to be able to get them for the front, too!
AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:25 PM   #399
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Hang in there mate.

I know it seems the dipping into your wallet will never end, but hopefully one day it will at least taper off a bit. You just have to find that shop and a mechanic that will show an interest in Bella and be aware of the condition of her various systems.

Could be worst, you could have bought a sailboat or a VW Touareg diesel; both of which my boss owns and both have cost him a boatload of money to keep going.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:54 PM   #400
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I'm actually feeling pretty good about this round of activity as I was never happy the brakes were working, and if they had stayed like that I would never have been really comfortable driving at speed or in traffic.

Better to find out whats wrong and get it fixed rather than second guessing if something is going to let go at any point.

If things work out, then we may even still make Canopener, first week in January.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:24 AM   #401
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Martin

Of note, be sure the shop uses the correct torque specs on the ball joints and not just an impact wrench as over-torquing the bolts will lead to a Mayco/Mike incident which you wouldn't want.

Cheers
Tony

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 10:30 AM   #402
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Not sure what brand of ball joints they will source but from what Ive read, the Raybestos Professional series and the Moog brand are considered to be equal in quality. The Pro series Raybestos have the blue colored boot so easily identified from their standard duty. Heres hoping you'll have Bella ready to hit the road soon and without more surprises like this brake situation. Your calm attitude is impressive Martin. Its imperative to maintain when owning, working on, and most of all traveling in these old beasts. We always have the choice to freak out, get pissed off, stomp our feet or we can make a cup of coffee and get on with solving the latest problem. Good on ya

Mike
Old 10-31-2015, 02:26 PM   #403
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Just been over to the shop to drop off the Bilsteins, so I have seen with my own eyes the state of the brakes.

As reported the the lines and cylinders are trashed, more so, the bleed nipple on the right had been snapped off some time ago (ie it was sheared off but the shear faces were corroded indicating it happened years ago) which means both the last two shops have not even bleed that side of the brakes. The left side was blown but it looked like it had been bleed recently. The drums and axles are out, new parts in, but the old (unusable) pads have been kept until I decide what to do next. The front pads/discs/calipers are also being kept as the right side was totally seized, and never been looked at, the left does look like it had been bleed recently.

Looks like I have found a diamond with this mechanic as he used to be a fleet mechanic for a delivery company using dually vans and trucks for delivery and now works pretty exclusively on the dually ambulances that service the hospital across the road. He appears to know exactly what he is doing around these systems, and we have left it that 'he will repair/replace' as if it was his own.

All of which is interesting because when I told him I had purchased the Centramatics, he laughed as he hates them and took them off the fleet vehicles as the drivers reported they felt like they were driving on soft tires.....that said he is happy to install them but gave me a rye smile and side he will jack Bella up and take them off free of charge after I have driven on them for a few weeks to decide for myself.
Old 10-31-2015, 02:55 PM   #404
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Redwood City , California
Martin, it sounds like you are well on the road to recovery!

"We are free to go where we wish and to be what we are"
Richard Bach, Jonathan Livingston Seagall
dadstoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #405
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post

All of which is interesting because when I told him I had purchased the Centramatics, he laughed as he hates them and took them off the fleet vehicles as the drivers reported they felt like they were driving on soft tires.....that said he is happy to install them but gave me a rye smile and side he will jack Bella up and take them off free of charge after I have driven on them for a few weeks to decide for myself.
Martin, I think you should return the Centramatic without installing them to avoid loosing your money.
On a side note, we went on a camping trip this weekend and all my wife would say is: smooth as silk back here.
I rest my case.
Old 10-31-2015, 03:20 PM   #406
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Martin, I think you should return the Centramatic without installing them to avoid loosing your money.
Not a chance Peter, I value your opinion and experience too much for that!