Old 09-27-2015, 05:12 PM   #295
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Somewhere along its checkered past, Bella had lost her rear bumper. Never felt comfortable having a that much bare metal sticking out the back (either if I hit something or something hit me) so I managed to track down a pre-face lift rear bumper. After giving the chassis extension/hitch a coat of POR-15 and the new bumper is attached.

Below is a before and after photo.

Old 09-27-2015, 05:19 PM   #296
Airstream Driver

1997 30' Excella
1983 31' Airstream310
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Somewhere along its checkered past, Bella had lost her rear bumper. Never felt comfortable having a that much bare metal sticking out the back (either if I hit something or something hit me) so I managed to track down a pre-face lift rear bumper. After giving the chassis extension/hitch a coat of POR-15 and the new bumper is attached.

Damn that looks good, I am amazed you found something that would fit so well. Is it just mounted to the hitch with bolts from the top?

AIR #13
PeterH-Airstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

Definitely a nice looking bumper.

Mine has a tweak on the left side that's going to be interesting to try and straighten.

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:02 PM   #298
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I believe it is an original Peter, it certainly fitted not only the shape but also aligned to the bolt holes. It also sits perfectly in a groove cut into the chassis rails.

I maybe able to help Brad. I bought a pair from a guy who thought they were a front and back. I thought they were two rears (which they were) and so got them for much less than he originally wanted, but that means I have a second rear if you can't straighten yours.

I may have a favor to ask anyway. The fiberglass banana wrap/valency that sits between the front bumper and the body, is missing on mine, but I can see is still in place on yours. I bought some banana wraps from a later model and I am going to try to modify and then make a replacement from fiberglass. I may need some detail photos along the way.
Old 09-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #299
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I believe it is an original Peter, it certainly fitted not only the shape but also aligned to the bolt holes. It also sits perfectly in a groove cut into the chassis rails.
It certainly looks correct to me.

Quote:
I maybe able to help Brad. I bought a pair from a guy who thought they were a front and back. I thought they were two rears (which they were) and so got them for much less than he originally wanted, but that means I have a second rear if you can't straighten yours.
I would definitely be interested in your spare bumper! Mine has a pretty good tweak on the drivers side where it's been twisted up pretty good. On top of that it has four large holes in the center area that I don't know what to do with.

I'll send you a pm to discuss.

Quote:
I may have a favor to ask anyway. The fiberglass banana wrap/valency that sits between the front bumper and the body, is missing on mine, but I can see is still in place on yours. I bought some banana wraps from a later model and I am going to try to modify and then make a replacement from fiberglass. I may need some detail photos along the way.
I'm not sure how beneficial pictures will be but will be happy to provide them. My Argosy has a lower air scoop molded in as part of the lower valance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-front-valance-1.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	249196

To date I have not seen another Argosy with the same front valance. Mine's not in the best of shape but is repairable. One of my plans for this winter is to remove the valance, repair the damaged bumper mount and repair the valance.

What I'd like to do while it's removed is have it repaired and then have a mold made so it could be reproduced but I don't think that's in my budget.

I'd be interested in knowing why Airstream abandoned the lower air scoop feature. Who knows, maybe it was prone to damaged easily.

Brad
Old 09-28-2015, 08:33 AM   #300
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
It certainly looks correct to me.

I would definitely be interested in your spare bumper! Mine has a pretty good tweak on the drivers side where it's been twisted up pretty good. On top of that it has four large holes in the center area that I don't know what to do with.

I'll send you a pm to discuss.

I'm not sure how beneficial pictures will be but will be happy to provide them. My Argosy has a lower air scoop molded in as part of the lower valance.
Attachment 249196

To date I have not seen another Argosy with the same front valance. Mine's not in the best of shape but is repairable. One of my plans for this winter is to remove the valance, repair the damaged bumper mount and repair the valance.

What I'd like to do while it's removed is have it repaired and then have a mold made so it could be reproduced but I don't think that's in my budget.

I'd be interested in knowing why Airstream abandoned the lower air scoop feature. Who knows, maybe it was prone to damaged easily.

Brad
Hi Brad, you are welcome to the rear bumper, I will reply to your PM.

At the front I think you are also missing the 'bumper'. If you take a look at mine the remnants for the valence/banana wraps are still there at the sides, but the entire front/behind the bumper is missing.

If you compare that to the 1975 28ft being parted out in Texas (parting out 1975 ARGOSY motor home), you can see the front section extends behind the bumper and then continues to form the lower scope.

I have been trying to contact the guy in Texas to gets some trim (including the the front bodywork) but so far no reply, if it wasn't so far from me I would make an offer for the whole thing
Old 09-28-2015, 08:43 AM   #301
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Hi Brad, you are welcome to the rear bumper, I will reply to your PM.

At the front I think you are also missing the 'bumper'. If you take a look at mine the remnants for the valence/banana wraps are still there at the sides, but the entire front/behind the bumper is missing.

If you compare that to the 1975 28ft being parted out in Texas (parting out 1975 ARGOSY motor home), you can see the front section extends behind the bumper and then continues to form the lower scope.

I actually have the front bumper for mine. I removed it several years ago and mounted a tow bar to it so I could move it around and into my shop in Arkansas. Unfortunately that's how the front bumper mount was busted. Turns out the factory welds on the mount weren't not all that great and broke under very little load.

Name:	2a4c_3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	249200

Quote:
I have been trying to contact the guy in Texas to gets some trim (including the the front bodywork) but so far no reply, if it wasn't so far from me I would make an offer for the whole thing
To bad he's not responding. I wonder of there are any motorhome owners in that area that might be of help?
Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #302
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Don't want to put you on the spot Brad, but if you are dismantling and repairing the fiberglass parts (like the dash, cab-cap, front valence?) I maybe willing to fund having molds taken so the group could have a source of spares?

I guess my idea would be that folks could 'rent' the molds, to make their own parts - similar to some kit/specialty cars; for example I saw one it was possible to rent the molds to make your own Batmobile!

I can understand commercial companies being cautious about having molds made because there aren't many 1974-1976 MH out there to justify cost, but maybe it work work on a hobby basis?
Old 09-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #303
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Don't want to put you on the spot Brad, but if you are dismantling and repairing the fiberglass parts (like the dash, cab-cap, front valence?) I maybe willing to fund having molds taken so the group could have a source of spares?
The parts mentioned aren't fiberglass, they are made from ABS, not that it matters when making molds. Just means the repair methods are different.

Quote:
I guess my idea would be that folks could 'rent' the molds, to make their own parts - similar to some kit/specialty cars; for example I saw one it was possible to rent the molds to make your own Batmobile!
Hmm, Batmobile....that would be a interesting conversion of an Argosy!

Currently my dash overlay is sitting in storage in my shop. I definitely have to remove the front valance for repairs and the rear valance will likely have to come off since I need to replace the left rear corner of the outer skin.

As for inner front and rear caps, I have the ones from the 86 345 that I dismantled. They are currently residing in the loft of my barn.

Nothing wrong with your idea. Logistics could get interesting but worth looking into. I would definitely need to get my front valance repaired before any mold work could be performed. Guess I need to get a hold of Keyair and get some pointers on the best approach to repairing the valance.

Quote:
I can understand commercial companies being cautious about having molds made because there aren't many 1974-1976 MH out there to justify cost, but maybe it work work on a hobby basis?
As you said there aren't that many 74-76 rigs left out there. Not sure what the market would be but it sure would be nice to have access to spares for parts that are easily damaged.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:56 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Martin, hopefully the following pictures will give you a better idea of what my front valance looks like. I really like the looks of the air scoop, sorta makes the Argosy look real fast

Name:	74-argosy-front-valance-1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	249260Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-front-valance-2.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	249261

Name:	74-argosy-front-valance-3.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	220.8 KB
ID:	249262Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-front-valance-4.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	249263
Old 09-28-2015, 08:01 PM   #305
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
It looks really cool Brad, and I would certainly be interested in getting a mold off it!
Old 09-29-2015, 08:29 AM   #306
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
I'll try and get the valance removed this weekend. From there I'm going to have to figure out the best way to make the repairs. My assumption is it should be repaired and then test fitted again to make sure nothing has changed. After that we'll have to figure out how/when/where to get a mold made.

I'll let you know when I've got it removed.

Brad
Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #307
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Bossier City , Louisiana
Hey Martin and Brad I live in Shreveport -- where in Texas is the Argosy you're talking about? I own a 310 MoHo -- but if have the time would be willing to help out if not too far away. Give me a shout jgarrett123@hotmail.com

Gman1957
Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 AM   #308
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1957 View Post
Hey Martin and Brad I live in Shreveport -- where in Texas is the Argosy you're talking about? I own a 310 MoHo -- but if have the time would be willing to help out if not too far away. Give me a shout jgarrett123@hotmail.com

Gman1957
Thanks for the offer Gman, but the Argosy is down in Dickinson (between Houston and Galveston) so quite a way from you.

I know Peter and Ben are in Austin, but I hadn't reached out to them as even Austin is a couple of hundred miles way. Its a shame as it is a rear-bed/mid-bath and has a lot of good early stuff on it.

It actually got me thinking that if I was doing a chassis swap, it would be easier to make the body fit the chassis rather than the chassis fit the body, so starting with a relatively long body could be the basis for an interesting project.