Old 10-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Oooooooooooooops! Just reread your post on a thread i had started on the chair swivel.....YOU are the one that suggested the quick release steering wheel! Good idea.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:36 AM   #16
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Did Tony's (Isuzusweet) suggested method (in your original thread) of turning the chair work?

I am still waiting on parts to try the 'remove the wheel' approach. It is quite simple if you are replacing the steering wheel anyway (as I am), as you need to get a spline to bolt pattern adapter boss for a new wheel, and the quick disconnects are sandwiched between the new boss and the new wheel.

I have ordered two (identical) disconnects (they are relatively inexpensive) and intend dismounting the wheel, but also mounting the alternate/second 'wheel side half' which will have a blanking cover - so you don't look down inside the boss to the end of the steering column when the actual wheel is removed. Clip the wheel off/clip the cover on.

The TV solution is pretty straight forward. We only have full height cabinetry on the wet room side (marked as the closet). So we are having the TV bracket mounted there, but there are standard flat panel mounts that can rotate out 180 degrees allowing the TV to face towards the beds or the cab. The beds are being built slightly higher than normal, to give extra storage but also we are having a pull-out table in the top of the night stand so the beds are also the seats of the dinette. In that position the TV can be seen whilst in bed (tilted down), when sitting at the dinette, and also when sitting in the captains chairs or even if working in the kitchen area. We are skipping a DVD player, but installing a small Lenovo PC (which also attaches to the TV mount, Q190 HTPC: The Smallest Home Theater Desktop PCÂ*| Lenovo US) and HDMI ports (to let us plug in an iPad etc).

Old 10-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Nice idea on the table, raising the bed height. In the 20', creativity is the key for sure. Standard seating height is 17" to 18" i believe. I just ordered some storage ottomans that will double as additional seating at our fold out table. They are 18x18x18. Im hoping they do the trick.
I never could get the drivers seat to swivel to face the lounge, tried Tony's suggestion and every other way i could think of and it aint gonna happen without some sort of mod.
So, since the captains chairs are raised on the platform, are you going with the fold out leg rests? When i get around to replacing mine i think thats the way ill go, assuming i figure out the swivel issue on the drivers side.
I bet many here will be very interested in your steering wheel adaptation. Pics please when you get that far.
Sounds GREAT so far Martin, youre really doing it right. Looking forward to seeing the finished product and you behind the wheel having fun.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #18
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Well the new steering wheel, adapter and quick disconnect arrived. I went with a Grant wheel and and matching adapter and disconnect; very simple to install and they seem to work great....my dilemma? I made the mistake of opening the instructions; the first line reads "These kits are designed for use on off-road performance vehicles only. They are not legal for street use". If they are OK to use in a 200mph NASCAR how can they not be OK (even if not legal) to use for street use?
Old 10-25-2014, 09:54 PM   #19
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
I think I maybe able to answer my own question....to stop idiots doing things like this.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Moving right all on many fronts this week. The third slider and VistaView is now in and it is going to be 'light' inside.

After fighting the remnants of the dash wiring for the last few weeks, Kevin the electrical tech has had to be brutal and rip it all out and start again, so new wiring to the dash, all the lights, and wipers. The marker lights have all been upgraded to LED but they have managed to keep the original castings (every corroded screw had to be drilled out - 4 days on that alone) but everything looks great. The dash itself has had a new layer of glass fiber for internal strengthening and was in the paint booth so I couldn't get a photo.

Bob the carpenter has been working hard on the wet room and the shower pan/cassette toilet/fold down basin is in.

One small change of plan is the 'spare' fixed window (removed from the original driver side bathroom) can't be used (the pull down basin has two catches to support it in use and the catch would be in the middle of the window), so the new plan is to try and source another VistaView to allow some natural light.

Last task of the week was to spec out the appliances for the kitchen area. The counter is approx 6ft (a little longer than we expected), but we are going with a Dometic Cramer combo hob to make most use of it.

Which should go nicely with the maple cabinets and Curava Savaii countertop, that are also underway. Also this means a small update in layout.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:02 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
Wow... I would recommend sending the specs of this project to AS and see if they will re-release an aluminum classic with this setup. Nicely done guys. Please keep the updates coming! If you should ever decide to sell it before taking it to Europe, please contact me!
Old 11-01-2014, 12:57 PM   #22
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Thanks for the comments Vycan.

I don't think there is going to be a single nut and bolt untouched by the end of the rebuild, and it is going to be as 'open plan' as we can make it; you get some idea from this panorama.

Apart from the wet room/closet there will be nothing other than window or aluminium (paneling) above counter height round the whole Argosy when finished

Just a quick mention to the guys at Airstream of New England; Kevin (mechanical/electrical), Bob (carpenter), Tom (shop manager) and Dave (project manager) just visible through the 'panos', as they try and keep out of the way whilst I snap away.
Old 11-05-2014, 05:06 PM   #23
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Latest update is more of a question; I mentioned a couple of posts up that we are installing a Curava counter-top. Curava is a little like Corian in so much as it is a synthetic resin counter but unlike any other counter-top, has recycled glass (and in the case of the model we chose seashells) embedded.

I ordered a sample, to allow the guys in the shop to see if it could be cut/machined the same as any counter, and at the same time contacted the manufacturer to try and find out if anyone else had installed in an 'RV'.

The sample arrived and was dully dropped off at the shop for them to experiement, but I just got a voice mail from the manufacturer saying, they haven't any experience in installing in an RV but they think it may 'crack'. I have searched the Forum and there is some experience with other synthetic counter-tops but not Curava.

Any opinions on this, or are the company (as I hope) just covering themselves with a warning?
Old 11-06-2014, 08:18 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1994 36' Classic 36 Diesel
Manhattan , Kansas
If this were my project and I was faced with the same warning, but I was dead set on the counter top, this is what I would do:

I would leave a 1/8th of an inch of space at all walls including the inner shell of the motor home, then I would caulk it with an appropriate color to fill in the 1/8th of an inch gap. That would minimize the compression/tension/torsion of the walls and outer shell shifting. That leaves only the cabinet it is mounted to to cause tension/torsion. Most counter tops are mounted with adhesives. I would approach it from a composite approach. Instead of mounting the countertop direct to the wood, or whatever material you plan to use for your cabinet. I would use a thin polyurethane gasket like material as a transition material to allow for some play. Essentially placing adhesive on the top of the cabinet, then lay the gasket material on the adhesive, then add more adhesive to the polyurethane, and mount the counter top. I would want the polyurathane gasket to be 1/16th-1/8th of an inch thick. If the cabinet were wood I would add additional corner gusset reinforcements to ensure the structural stability of the cabinet is not as reliant on the weight or security of the counter top because of the 'floating' gasket added.

I cannot tell you this would work, but I can say this is what I would do.

-DT
Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
Martin, those composite counter tops are usually installed with scilicone calk applied to few spots on the top corners of the cabinets where one would typically drive a screw through the corner brace of the cabinet. I think the best you could do would be to apply a nice dollop of scilicone on the cabinet corners and then leave a 3/16" or so gap in the back and to your left where it meets the wall. I wouldnt calk the gap but rather install a small backsplash of Curava to cover it. (Assuming you have the room under the window.). Not sure what the thickness is of that material but you could leave a pretty large gap and still cover it with the back splash. You would need some type of filler at the very ends of the counter where the gap could be seen but thats no biggy.
The 20 footer may be less vulnerable to frame twisting than the longer rigs. Anyway, thats the way I would approach it. The most vulnerable spot for a crack to develop would obviously be in front of the sink where the counter is most narrow.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
what is the plan for the engine? I assume it is a 350.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:45 AM   #27
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Thanks guys.

The counter is available in 2cm and 3cm and I had been assuming 2cm was best because of the weight (although the counter is only 72" by 28" (we have approx 4" at the front and right side of the sink and 6" at the back), but now I'm thinking 3cm would be better - or 2cm flexible bonded to a 1/2" timber base?

I have left it with the carpenter to mull over and see what he comes up with.

Yes, it came with a strong running 350, which according to the previous title (and previous 2 owners) only has a genuine 8500miles on it (at least that's what is showing on the odometer). All the belts are being changed to serpentine (and they are modernizing the AC), all new wiring, new hoses and all external gaskets and the radiator is being re-cored (it isn't leaking but I don't want to take the risk whilst it is out). I have the (good) 454 in the donor that could have been used but we have taken a lot of weight out of the original Argosy (compressor, AC, cabinetry, etc etc), and effectively gearing up slightly with larger wheels and tires, so decided to stay with the 350 (plus it was estimated as a two week job to swap). Once we are up and running I may get it 'warmed up' slightly......just don't want to have to add wheelie bars to keep the nose on the ground!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
the 350 should be fine and a little better on fuel

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote