Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #281
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If Martin PM's me the cost per sq/ft I wonder if my heart would take the shock; but if you have the means, by all means, do it right.

I just hope that Martin has some kin that this treasured heirloom could be passed onto one day.

Cheers
Tony
Just imagine how his future State side 310 will look like, after he sends the 20' to Europe.
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 07:24 PM   #282
3 Rivet Member

1982 31' Airstream 310
Henniker , New Hampshire
Very nice!

1982 310 motorhome 454
Henniker New Hampshire
Old 09-07-2015, 06:36 AM   #283
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Martin, have you put enough miles on the 350 to tell us what kind of mileage you are getting. If I recall correctly, you had the carb rebuilt?
I am running a Holley EFI on my 310, a very costly conversion the previous owner did.
AIR #13
Old 09-07-2015, 07:12 AM   #284
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Martin, have you put enough miles on the 350 to tell us what kind of mileage you are getting. If I recall correctly, you had the carb rebuilt?
I am running a Holley EFI on my 310, a very costly conversion the previous owner did.
Not really Peter.

We do a lot of short journeys (we have a local state park camp ground only 4 miles from home) and the longest runs are to the second camping option we have, which is only about 35 miles away on the edge of the Cape. Means we burn a significant proportion of the the mileage just warming up.

We had Dick Paterson at Springfield Ignition rebuild the Quadrajet and it starts and runs very well, but the 350 is quite cold blooded and we have to leave the choke on for a few minutes, before blip-ping the throttle to let it idle.

At the moment we are under 10mpg but I couldn't be accurate.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #285
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin300662 View Post
Not really Peter.

We do a lot of short journeys (we have a local state park camp ground only 4 miles from home) and the longest runs are to the second camping option we have, which is only about 35 miles away on the edge of the Cape. Means we burn a significant proportion of the the mileage just warming up.

We had Dick Paterson at Springfield Ignition rebuild the Quadrajet and it starts and runs very well, but the 350 is quite cold blooded and we have to leave the choke on for a few minutes, before blip-ping the throttle to let it idle.

At the moment we are under 10mpg but I couldn't be accurate.
I suppose thats what those rusty old heat risers are for on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Does yours still have it. The class C chevy with a 350 I worked on last winter had the original vacuum controlled heat riser and it worked amazingly well.
AIR #13
Old 09-07-2015, 11:11 AM   #286
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
Hilden , NRW
martin
I every day I see your photos your project seems fantastic, worse now that I saw last, I'm a little jealous of your dash, incredible, you've done aluminum or stainless steel?
You can get a few pictures more closely? I can copy it?
Thank you
Herman
Ps my transmission is already in place, just missing some details and hit the road
german6563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:39 PM   #287
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Hi Herman

For the first two (maybe three) years of the Argosy, the dash was very plain. The instrumentation is just a standard P-30 instrument cluster with two air vents mounted vertically to the side

The previous owners had also installed 4 small gauges between the cluster and the vents, so you can see from this photo during the rebuild there were extra holes in the dash

So really I have not changed much in the dash design; a strip of aluminum (laid over the original black strip) covers the extra holes left from the changing to the new heater/AC control (which is also moved to be more central) and to install the Kenwood head-unit (the amplifier is under the dash); a piece of dark perspex was cut to cover all the holes, and only the center hole for the cluster was re-cut. There is plenty of room for extra gauges, or I could simply replace the piece of perspex for a custom lay-out, but at the moment I am keeping it as simply as I can, which also means all the gauges are visible at the steering tilt I use..

The plastic dash was repainted; the shop laid down the cream color as a base coat, but it really brightens up the dash and matches the maple trim, so I left it that color and had the headliner painted the same.

The opening dash compartment was missing but that is where the new heater box and electric AC compressor is mounted so would have been ditched anyway.

Please feel free to copy anything you like, although I think it will be difficult if starting from a later model dash (for example like this one from the internet of a 1982).

One of the reasons my dash looks a little different is one of the PO had cut all the wires to the indicators/horn. So what I have is a 'hot-rod' clamp on indicator stalk (on the left just below the tilt lever) and a column mounted horn; means the right side of the column and then wheel again are much simpler.

Also the dash mounted rear view mirror has been removed and I have temporarily installed a GPS with rear view camera. I say temporary, as I am still trying to decide if I should go with a single camera wired from the reversing light (so would only have rear view when reversing), single camera with a switch power supply (this is what I have at the moment and turning on power to the camera, turns from GPS to rear view), or a combination of the two (two cameras; one looking down and powered from the reversing light; one switched manually to flick between GPS and rear view).
Old 09-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #288
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
That '82 dash and pic is mine! I'll have to look at that pic on the big screen to see if it is before or after I painted the dash!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #289
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Opps, sorry Dean....what's the copyright fee?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:07 PM   #290
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
I suppose thats what those rusty old heat risers are for on the passenger side exhaust manifold. Does yours still have it. The class C chevy with a 350 I worked on last winter had the original vacuum controlled heat riser and it worked amazingly well.
I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean Peter.

I have the original cast manifolds but can't see any additional pipe work. I also checked back through the photos I took earlier in the build and can't see anything in the passenger side manifold.

Are the risers some sort of additional plumbing?
Old 09-07-2015, 08:54 PM   #291
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean Peter.

I have the original cast manifolds but can't see any additional pipe work. I also checked back through the photos I took earlier in the build and can't see anything in the passenger side manifold.

Are the risers some sort of additional plumbing?
If you will an early carb version of EGR.

EXHAUST MANIFOLD HEAT VALVE

More pics

https://www.google.ca/search?q=exhau...w=1431&bih=935

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:17 PM   #292
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
_ , _
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If you will an early carb version of EGR.

EXHAUST MANIFOLD HEAT VALVE

More pics

https://www.google.ca/search?q=exhau...w=1431&bih=935

Cheers
Tony

Not really. This heat valve is attached at the end of the left side exhaust manifold between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. It is also retained and used between the end of the collector on the left side header and the exhaust pipe when adding headers such as the Banks System. The purpose is to restrict the exhaust flow somewhat in order to force "more" heat (exhaust gases) through the cross over tube that is part of the oem intake manifold. This cross over tube runs between both heads and under the carburetor. The purpose is to warm up the air/fuel mixture in the intake manifold plenum during a cold start and warmup of the engine. Warming up the air/fuel mixture helps to better atomize the mixture under cold startup conditions. What resembles an early EGR value is more like the PVC valve which allows crankcase "blow by" to renter the carburetor for further combustion.

Sorry Tony, just couldn't resist. (Just having fun)

Old 09-08-2015, 05:06 AM   #293
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadstoy View Post
Not really. This heat valve is attached at the end of the left side exhaust manifold between the manifold and the exhaust pipe. It is also retained and used between the end of the collector on the left side header and the exhaust pipe when adding headers such as the Banks System. The purpose is to restrict the exhaust flow somewhat in order to force "more" heat (exhaust gases) through the cross over tube that is part of the oem intake manifold. This cross over tube runs between both heads and under the carburetor. The purpose is to warm up the air/fuel mixture in the intake manifold plenum during a cold start and warmup of the engine. Warming up the air/fuel mixture helps to better atomize the mixture under cold startup conditions. What resembles an early EGR value is more like the PVC valve which allows crankcase "blow by" to renter the carburetor for further combustion.

Sorry Tony, just couldn't resist. (Just having fun)
And then he claims to be a software engineer
Nothing to add to Tony's and Dean's excellent description, other than the further north you live the more you need it. Those cold starts are rough on engines.
I am not an engine expert, but I would avoid over-running the choke like the pest. In the worse case scenario, extended choke activation will run gasoline down your cylinders into the crankcase and blow it out your exhaust. But at least you would not have to add more oil
AIR #13
Old 09-08-2015, 06:18 AM   #294
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
And then he claims to be a software engineer
Nothing to add to Tony's and Dean's excellent description, other than the further north you live the more you need it. Those cold starts are rough on engines.
I am not an engine expert, but I would avoid over-running the choke like the pest. In the worse case scenario, extended choke activation will run gasoline down your cylinders into the crankcase and blow it out your exhaust. But at least you would not have to add more oil
Thanks guys, I will check later!
Old 09-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #295
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Somewhere along its checkered past, Bella had lost her rear bumper. Never felt comfortable having a that much bare metal sticking out the back (either if I hit something or something hit me) so I managed to track down a pre-face lift rear bumper. After giving the chassis extension/hitch a coat of POR-15 and the new bumper is attached.

Below is a before and after photo.

Old 09-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #296
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Somewhere along its checkered past, Bella had lost her rear bumper. Never felt comfortable having a that much bare metal sticking out the back (either if I hit something or something hit me) so I managed to track down a pre-face lift rear bumper. After giving the chassis extension/hitch a coat of POR-15 and the new bumper is attached.

Damn that looks good, I am amazed you found something that would fit so well. Is it just mounted to the hitch with bolts from the top?
AIR #13
Old 09-27-2015, 04:47 PM   #297
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:

Definitely a nice looking bumper.

Mine has a tweak on the left side that's going to be interesting to try and straighten.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 05:02 PM   #298
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
I believe it is an original Peter, it certainly fitted not only the shape but also aligned to the bolt holes. It also sits perfectly in a groove cut into the chassis rails.

I maybe able to help Brad. I bought a pair from a guy who thought they were a front and back. I thought they were two rears (which they were) and so got them for much less than he originally wanted, but that means I have a second rear if you can't straighten yours.

I may have a favor to ask anyway. The fiberglass banana wrap/valency that sits between the front bumper and the body, is missing on mine, but I can see is still in place on yours. I bought some banana wraps from a later model and I am going to try to modify and then make a replacement from fiberglass. I may need some detail photos along the way.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:31 AM   #299
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
I believe it is an original Peter, it certainly fitted not only the shape but also aligned to the bolt holes. It also sits perfectly in a groove cut into the chassis rails.
It certainly looks correct to me.

Quote:
I maybe able to help Brad. I bought a pair from a guy who thought they were a front and back. I thought they were two rears (which they were) and so got them for much less than he originally wanted, but that means I have a second rear if you can't straighten yours.
I would definitely be interested in your spare bumper! Mine has a pretty good tweak on the drivers side where it's been twisted up pretty good. On top of that it has four large holes in the center area that I don't know what to do with.

I'll send you a pm to discuss.

Quote:
I may have a favor to ask anyway. The fiberglass banana wrap/valency that sits between the front bumper and the body, is missing on mine, but I can see is still in place on yours. I bought some banana wraps from a later model and I am going to try to modify and then make a replacement from fiberglass. I may need some detail photos along the way.
I'm not sure how beneficial pictures will be but will be happy to provide them. My Argosy has a lower air scoop molded in as part of the lower valance.
Click image for larger version

Name:	74-argosy-front-valance-1.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	249196

To date I have not seen another Argosy with the same front valance. Mine's not in the best of shape but is repairable. One of my plans for this winter is to remove the valance, repair the damaged bumper mount and repair the valance.

What I'd like to do while it's removed is have it repaired and then have a mold made so it could be reproduced but I don't think that's in my budget.

I'd be interested in knowing why Airstream abandoned the lower air scoop feature. Who knows, maybe it was prone to damaged easily.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:33 AM   #300
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
It certainly looks correct to me.

I would definitely be interested in your spare bumper! Mine has a pretty good tweak on the drivers side where it's been twisted up pretty good. On top of that it has four large holes in the center area that I don't know what to do with.

I'll send you a pm to discuss.

I'm not sure how beneficial pictures will be but will be happy to provide them. My Argosy has a lower air scoop molded in as part of the lower valance.
Attachment 249196

To date I have not seen another Argosy with the same front valance. Mine's not in the best of shape but is repairable. One of my plans for this winter is to remove the valance, repair the damaged bumper mount and repair the valance.

What I'd like to do while it's removed is have it repaired and then have a mold made so it could be reproduced but I don't think that's in my budget.

I'd be interested in knowing why Airstream abandoned the lower air scoop feature. Who knows, maybe it was prone to damaged easily.

Brad
Hi Brad, you are welcome to the rear bumper, I will reply to your PM.

At the front I think you are also missing the 'bumper'. If you take a look at mine the remnants for the valence/banana wraps are still there at the sides, but the entire front/behind the bumper is missing.

If you compare that to the 1975 28ft being parted out in Texas (parting out 1975 ARGOSY motor home), you can see the front section extends behind the bumper and then continues to form the lower scope.

I have been trying to contact the guy in Texas to gets some trim (including the the front bodywork) but so far no reply, if it wasn't so far from me I would make an offer for the whole thing