Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,350
If your gas tank looks to be made of stamped steel and has some curves then it's probably a 30 gallon tank (25 usable). If it's a square or rectangular steel tank then it's probably about a 45 to 50 gallon tank that was custom made for the coach by Airstream.

I've seen both size of tanks on the 74 thru 76 Argosies. I don't know if larger tanks were listed as options but I'm fairly certain the larger tanks were available as options.

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Long road ahead for me. Picked up this 1975 Argosy 20’ MH the other day

Cool, thanks for the info Brad!
__________________

chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:19 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Long road ahead for me. Picked up this 1975 Argosy 20’ MH the other day

I made a run up to Milwaukee this weekend to get some nice Argosy parts from another Airforum’s member. What a great experience! He even sent me home with some of his homemade brew.
[ATTACH]299403
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8901.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	299403  
chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 01:20 AM   #18
Keen amature
 
martin300662's Avatar

 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
If your gas tank looks to be made of stamped steel and has some curves then it's probably a 30 gallon tank (25 usable). If it's a square or rectangular steel tank then it's probably about a 45 to 50 gallon tank that was custom made for the coach by Airstream.

I've seen both size of tanks on the 74 thru 76 Argosies. I don't know if larger tanks were listed as options but I'm fairly certain the larger tanks were available as options.

Brad
According to the price schedule, the 50 gallon was part of the 'Executive Group' upgrade but only available on the 24 and 26ft.....but to me that just means they had them and if you asked, you probably got.

1975 Argosy Schedule.pdf
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:20 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Climbed under it today and it appears to be a stamped fuel tank. Looks like a 30 gal. Next step is dropping it out.
chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:26 PM   #20
Rivet Master
 
TouringDan's Avatar

 
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 2,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Here are a few examples that I've found with the fuel filler cap at the left front corner. I believe they are all 75 year models but I can't say that for certain.



Attachment 299317Attachment 299318Attachment 299319Attachment 299320


The last photo is definitely one of the nicest Argosy MH I have ever seen!

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:22 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
I agree Dan!
chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:55 AM   #22
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
The last photo is definitely one of the nicest Argosy MH I have ever seen!

Dan
According to my notes that one sold for $38k at Barrett Jackson.

Not bad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #23
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2man View Post
Climbed under it today and it appears to be a stamped fuel tank. Looks like a 30 gal. Next step is dropping it out.
Drop it and then decide whether to try and replace it with a new matching tank or fabricate a new one to fit the opening. I originally bought a 30 gallon replacement to match mine only to find that it didn't have any baffles in it. At that point I decided to see if I could fabricate one to fit the opening. If you've read my restoration thread you'll know that I opted to have a new tank built. It holds 50 gallons which means I don't have to be constantly on the look out for a gas station

If you just want to replace it with a similar tank I'd be happy to make you a deal on the one I have sitting on the shelf

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 07:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master
 
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Ebro , Fla Panhandle
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,145
Question, how much will the tank hold?

Answer,
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2man View Post
Not sure yet. I have to pull it out and clean it out and re-line it.
Looks like this rig has found the right owner!

Welcome aboard chevy2man, you are going fit right in here at the asylum.

Cheers Richard
tevake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 04:19 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Thanks Everyone! It will be a slow process since my kiddos are in school sports and I’m an avid runner, biker car nut and such. When I get free time I’ll work on it. I like reading everyone’s trials and tribulations on here and it inspires me to get stuff done.
chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 05:11 PM   #26
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar

 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,352
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy2man View Post
Thanks Everyone! It will be a slow process since my kiddos are in school sports and I’m an avid runner, biker car nut and such. When I get free time I’ll work on it. I like reading everyone’s trials and tribulations on here and it inspires me to get stuff done.
Trials and tribulations is the easy part; the hard part is like John (Shepherd57), who this afternoon phoned me to tell me he tried his windshield washer pump switch; only to find it activated his compressor........and his radio. Go ahead and look under the dashboards of one of these beauties and try to figure that one out.

The crazy bugger is off on a thousand+ mile journey in less than a month, with one eye on the road, another on his gauges (at least the ones, or one that actually works), all the while sniffing for smoke.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Trials and tribulations is the easy part; the hard part is like John (Shepherd57), who this afternoon phoned me to tell me he tried his windshield washer pump switch; only to find it activated his compressor........and his radio. Go ahead and look under the dashboards of one of these beauties and try to figure that one out.

The crazy bugger is off on a thousand+ mile journey in less than a month, with one eye on the road, another on his gauges (at least the ones, or one that actually works), all the while sniffing for smoke.

Cheers
Tony
Haha, they can be quite a rat's nest of wires behind the dash. Especially if the previous owners were messing around with stuff. It can be quite comical.
chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 05:52 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member
 
chevy2man's Avatar
 
1975 20' Argosy 20
Jeffersonville , Indiana
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 68
Fuel tank is out and sent to local radiator shop to be cleaned and coated. Next is running new fuel lines. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	416.4 KB
ID:	327335Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0586.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	280.8 KB
ID:	327336Click image for larger version

Name:	56268762419__97D7ADD2-761A-4920-9E7F-A8612CE52705.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	327337
__________________

chevy2man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Long long long trip Foiled Again Full-Timing, Winter Living & Workamping 39 03-24-2016 11:27 AM
The long road ahead..... prob All Argosy Trailers 10 11-26-2011 08:32 AM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.