Old 06-09-2005, 04:11 PM   #1
Southern Comfort

Leaky fuel filler neck

My 1978 Argosy 28 is leaking fuel to the ground everytime I fuel up. Has anyone had this problem and is there a quick fix?

Leaky Argy

Old 06-09-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Pena
My 1978 Argosy 28 is leaking fuel to the ground everytime I fuel up. Has anyone had this problem and is there a quick fix?

Leaky Argy
It is most likely the rubber inlet hose, or the overflow (vent) hose, that has a crack in it. At the age of your Argosy, it is very likely. The good news is, the replacement rubber hose is relatively cheap, it can be had at most Auto parts stores for under $10 for the vent hose, and under $25 for the big fill hose. They should both be clamped on.

Old 06-09-2005, 05:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Where is your gas fill located?

John
Old 06-10-2005, 09:57 AM   #4
Southern Comfort

The tank is located on the driver side in the center of the unit. Terry, do I need to drop the tank to make the repairs you mentioned? And if so how difficult is that.
Old 06-10-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Tank is located behind the drivers seat, under the couch, below the floor.

The tank "may" need to be dropped. Look behind the couch, or under it and see if there is a small square box that juts into the interior. This box covers the filler tube. You "may " be able to remove the box and get access to both ends of the tube. If not you will need to drop the tank.

I would still get that access so you can be sure the filler tube is not kinked on reinstall. It may require removal of the couch.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2005, 02:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Gas filler hose is really really stiff. Pull the cover Bett mentioned and try real hard to get the clamp off at the tank, if so you have it made. I would pull the gas fill out at the hatch to remove and reinstall, you will never bend the hose enough to get it back over both ends otherwise.

John
Old 06-10-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
I did this job last year and it can be done without dropping the tank. It just takes patience, a bit of hand strength and the determination that it is going where you want it. Like others have said the part is cheap. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2005, 08:53 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Just a quick note,
check where the vent hose pipe is soldered to the filler neck just down from the filler cap about 2 " or so.
The solder on mine was bad allowing a terrible odor into the coach when the tank was full or when you turned a sharp corner.
I too thought the hose's were at fault, I found out otherwise, job ain't fun to do twice
Old 06-20-2005, 11:11 AM   #9
Southern Comfort

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the info. I just started that project yesterday but came to a halt due to the unbearable heat and humidity of sunny Florida. I'm currently in the middle of building an aluminum building w/ AC to protect my aluminum home on wheels. I will keep you posted to my progress with leak problem, thanks again

Ray
Southern Comfort