Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Leaks

Had a rain storm Fri and Sat. Have noticed wet spots on floor one each side of door, and where the cockpit meets the coach.I had seen a little rot in these places when I pulled the carpet up also along the wall street side. thought it was from windows. But now not so sure. No sign of water coming down inside of wall. Now I am thinking it is coming from outside . Seam at end of cap and I guess around the top of the door. QUESTION: Are there any other trouble spots I should look for? When I reseal the seams should I clean out the old stuff or just go over it?
Gypsy Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Don`t know what your rig is,but always remove all old caulking you can get out.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
I have a 1977 Argosy 28'. Thanks
Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

One source of a similar leak I found at the end cap to the coach is if you still have the manual TV antenna. The seal has to be long gone by now. For now I removed mine permanently and sealed the hole. Might go to the new tiny "in motion" satellite dish ATT is promoting currently.
911rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Yes I still have the manual antenna. I have not been on my roof yet but can see some silicone where the coax should go into the roof possible leak spot. But no wet spots on floor I assume water would run down the ribs to the floor.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Is your trailer perfectly level? Is there an air conditioner on top? How old are the roof vents, their gaskets, and the sealant on them? Are the marker lights sealed well?

In the dozens of trailers I have leak tested, these are all common problems. There are still many other issues it could be including the antenna that was mentioned earlier.

Steve
Old 07-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Its a motor home . No its not level.the roof vents look to be in good shape. I am still thinking the seam by the end cap for the front leaks. I was also reading on another thread that the awning rail can leak also. I found answers on how to fix the leaks all info I would ever need to know and some things I hadn't thought of yet. Still new at forums tend to get stuck in one place. Looked around today and found exterior restoration with a 17 page thread on sealers .Now if I can find the leaks I have the answers on how to seal them. Thanks for the info hadn't thought about the parking lights.