Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #41
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmehal View Post
Just thought of a question, what is the cutoff year for smog testing? Is it different per state?
Cutoff year is different for each state, and in some cases, county and city. It is most often 1975, the first year most cars were equipped with catalytic converters. Many states exempt motor homes or trucks over a certain weight, usually 10,000 pounds.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:11 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Yay! Glad to hear it arrived; sorry the tow company was lousy. Good luck with the waterproofing; hopefully you don't find many (or any!) leaks. Especially since rain is in the forecast for most of the next week or so...

Post more pictures when you have the time!

Sharon & Sean
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
Glad she made it to you.Now the fun begins!!
Old 01-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #44
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
We picked-up a new battery for the Argosy today, plugged-in, added 10 gallons of fresh fuel. With a little coaxing, the 454 fired right up! The other nice thing is that most everything else seemed to work, once fired-up: generator, lights, command center guages, and basically all electrical. Stay tuned for updates!
gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Wow - that's great to hear! Can't wait for the next update. Good luck!

Sharon & Sean
Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

1977 28' Argosy 28
Bullhead City , Arizona
You are so lucky and I am soo jealous.
Congrats on the running.
Jo
Old 01-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #47
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Ok heres the latest.

Got a locksmith to come out and now all doors etc open with the exception of the refrig door. For some reason that one just wont budge.

Upon opening all those lower compartments most of them had lots of road junk in them like jacks, wood blocks, chain etc. All of it has clearly been there a while so when it gets dry into the trash it goes! Nice thing is that all the locks work.

The generac generator was interesting when that door opened. Very little oil in generator so I filled it up and amazingly it turned right over. Unfortunatly it wont start. The small hours gauge next to it has all zeros indicating that it has NEVER been used or the gauge isnt working. I will check the spark plug next, any other thoughts on would be much appreciated.

Next was stopping a few nasty leaks up on the dash board. Determined that most of them were coming from the upper running lights which have no gaskets. Quick fix was some foil tape. this worked great and stopped 95% of the leaks. Still a small one there but I think thats from the window gasket, time will tell. Anyone know if inland rv carries the running light gaskets?

Next I looked at the main and Aux holding tanks. Main was empty but the aux was 1/4 full. Went out and easily opened the Aux tank and water came spilling out, nothing nasty. Then I tried the Main valve and its stuck shut. Any thoughts on how to free it up or gain access to it?

Next was the water pump. Tank had a bit of water in it. Activated pump and heard the sink gurgle for a while. then like magic the water came out of the faucet at every location except toilet. The flow was slow but steady. I noticed that after doing this test there was alot of water on the ground in the rear. The city water connection gasket was disintegrated clearly creating a big pressure loss. Hopefully thats why the flow wasn't stellar. The toilet has 2 foot pedals, large and small. I know the large is the dump and I assume the small is the flush. The small one is extremely stiff and no matter how many times I forced it down and up no water. I also made sure the valve was open under sink but still no luck. Any thoughts?

Lastly today I noticed that near the gas pedal there was an Edelbrock Vari-jection box hooked up. Thi sis an old school water injection system. Funky, wonder if it works.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
WOW ! what a find, looks great.

Good luck on the drive train you could have the buy of the year.
arcamedies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
The main tank valve is jammed? If it's the black tank, it's probably glued shut with some nasty crusty stuff around the blade and the rubber lined slot it fits into. About 5 gallons of really hot water will help loosen it up if the tank is dry. If it's still partially full though, it could be ugly. Somebody on the forum may have posted a magic mixture for dissolving the stuff glued to the blade, but I don't know of any personally. Maybe a gallon of hot Wesson Oil or similar?

Sean & Sharon
'75 Argosy 24'
Old 01-20-2010, 08:06 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbours View Post
The main tank valve is jammed? If it's the black tank, it's probably glued shut with some nasty crusty stuff around the blade and the rubber lined slot it fits into. About 5 gallons of really hot water will help loosen it up if the tank is dry. If it's still partially full though, it could be ugly. Somebody on the forum may have posted a magic mixture for dissolving the stuff glued to the blade, but I don't know of any personally. Maybe a gallon of hot Wesson Oil or similar?

Sean & Sharon
'75 Argosy 24'
Good idea! now that I know the propane works, forgot to mention that, I will boil some water and dump it in there. Luckily the tank gauge says is empty but who knows. Hey do you 2 have any pictures of your Argosy?
Old 01-21-2010, 10:13 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Glad the propane works! One more system you can cross off the list. Let us know if the hot water takes care of the stuck valve. Hopefully that will be all it needs.

We do have some pictures posted here - underneath our profile info on the left hand side of the post you'll see "Images: 11" and beneath that "Blog entries: 1", with the numbers in blue. Click on those blue numbers and it will take you to our pictures. We also have some in the "Airstream Registry" section.

Can't wait to see your new toy!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:24 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Update!! Started to tear into the Argosy. Carpet is out! What nasty dank stuff that was. My wife worked on that while my friend and I removed the radiator. Now that was a chore! Had to take it out through the bottom which meant we had to jack up the front of the trailer super high. Now its off to the radiator shop for a recore. Next I will be testing the engine compression before I start replacing things like the PS pump and water pump, etc. Also water heater works! and so does the gas for the fridge. The suburban furnace fan spins right up but wont light. Will be checking to see if there is a gas valve behind it somewhere that is not turned on.
Will post pictures later today

Imagine the sight of them linked together!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:05 PM   #53
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Heres the latest photos. Carpet is out and so are the cushions... New foam will be ready next week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000534.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	95348   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000538.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	95349  

Name:	P1000542.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	172.2 KB
ID:	95350   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000535.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	267.0 KB
ID:	95351  

Old 02-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Electrical problem solved!

Solved my shore power electrical problem! It was a faulty plug on the shore power end. Simply replaced and now shore power works for everything!!

Hooray!!

Old 02-02-2010, 05:41 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Orange Plaid

So are you taking out that orange formica? Guess there's not much you can do about the plaid fabric on the Captain's chairs?
Also would love to hear the story on how you settled on $120 as a purchase price? M]We ALL want to acquire those negotiiating skills!
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 PM   #56
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Why the heck would he take out the orange Formica? It looks beee-yooo-tee-ful! (really!) And they do not make it that strudy anymore, either...

And if you do, gmehal, there's an airforum user that is dying for a piece of it to compete her kitchen...
Old 02-03-2010, 06:31 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
I agree - the countertop is great! And if the orange plaid on the seats doesn't do it for you, there's always seat covers.

You're making great progress - kudos on figuring out the shore power situation. You are going to have so much fun with your new toy this summer!

Sharon
Old 05-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
New pics and update

Here are some of the latest pics. Been working our tails off on the argosy!

Heres the rundown: New re-cored radiator with better core. Initially removed the radiator through the bottom (PITA). Much later discovered it can be removed MUCH easier after removing the whole doghouse. Also installed new oil cooler and AC compressor as well as new fan clutch, alternator, water pump, PS pump, master cylinder, belts and hoses. Hey I was in there and the parts are cheap even when buying the best parts. Added new plugs, MSD wires and coil and most importantly a fuel injection system. Went with the Professional Products PowerJection 3 kit with integrated computer and O2 sensor for self tuning. The thing runs AMAZING now and idles perfectly. It also has altitude compensation and fuel cutoff on decel. Way more responsive than the old quadrajet carb. I had to rework the intake for the fuel injection unit as it sits higher than the stock unit, found some good solutions for that that Ill share later. Also installed a custom built 2.5 to 3 inch single side exhaust, love it and soo much simpler.

Wheel wise we found some used 16's and got rid of the 16.5's. Have new brake pads and lines but so far the brakes seem to work well. New shocks and airbags up front but still need new rear shocks and front sway bar bushings.

Exterior has been throughly cleaned, what an amazing difference just doing that. Orange trim inserts from Inland RV installed and look great. Installed new Ramco mirrors, now I can actually see whats next to me, imagine that.
Installed New Bosch headlights, way better light output with the 100 watt bulbs instead of the 55w. Currently vinyl wrapping the front cap and installing LED lighting for the running lights. New window seals just came in from Inland RV. Just did the front driver window, schledge went in in a breeze but unhappy with the outer trim moulding, dosent fit that well and is supposed to allow rain to run off but the way some of it sits it seems more like a water catch! Must figure that on out. All storage bind on lower exterior have been POR-15ed inside. Generac Generator works but needs new muffler, misfires every now and them but works.

Interior has had many changes as well. New intellapower and fuse box. New 20amp outlets, Original orange shag carper GONE! Kraco crappy stereo gone, Sticky steering wheel still there and I need to wear gloves when driving it or my hands turn black. New foam and with my wifes excellent taste and sewing abilities we now have all new cushions and curtains. Fixed both waste tank drain valves so now they both open and shut. Re grounded water pump so now that works constantly. Tried to fill water tank and ran into a problem. Hose that connects tank to exterior inlet leaks. The connector pipe is this weird black hard plastic, I expected rubber. Rubber is whats going back in. Roof AC interior blower motor is shot, hoping I can repair or replace motor and not whole unit but well see. Suburban furnace is odd. With gas on at main and thermostat set to on the fan blows nut no heat. Simply cannot figure out how to light the damn thing. Seems like its an auto ignition because theres no manual lighter etc. Any thought would be great. Water heater generally works but after some time it starts to leak out of the main flame tube outside! seems like I need a new one. Fridge seems to light but wont stay lit, Haven't looked into that yet but soon. All and all thats about it. A good interior wipe down and clean is all thats needed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	102598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	902.3 KB
ID:	102599  

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	102600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	102601  

Name:	IMG_2407.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	102602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2409.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	102603  

Name:	IMG_2181.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	694.4 KB
ID:	102604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2540.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	102605  

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	102606  

Old 05-16-2010, 09:22 AM   #59
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You are going to have such a great Argosy when you are finished and will have so much less invested than if you had bought one off of Ebay and had to do the same repairs.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 AM   #60
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
You are making amazing progress. Thanks for the detail of projects tackled and results. Just curious about the before and after exterior cleaning photo's. I understood you to say you just gave it a good cleaning. However, in one of the photo's it looks like windows are taped off as you would for painting. Whatever you've done, the "after" photo looks great!!

Tags
argosy