Old 02-03-2010, 07:31 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
I agree - the countertop is great! And if the orange plaid on the seats doesn't do it for you, there's always seat covers.

You're making great progress - kudos on figuring out the shore power situation. You are going to have so much fun with your new toy this summer!

Sharon

sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 12:30 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
New pics and update

Here are some of the latest pics. Been working our tails off on the argosy!

Heres the rundown: New re-cored radiator with better core. Initially removed the radiator through the bottom (PITA). Much later discovered it can be removed MUCH easier after removing the whole doghouse. Also installed new oil cooler and AC compressor as well as new fan clutch, alternator, water pump, PS pump, master cylinder, belts and hoses. Hey I was in there and the parts are cheap even when buying the best parts. Added new plugs, MSD wires and coil and most importantly a fuel injection system. Went with the Professional Products PowerJection 3 kit with integrated computer and O2 sensor for self tuning. The thing runs AMAZING now and idles perfectly. It also has altitude compensation and fuel cutoff on decel. Way more responsive than the old quadrajet carb. I had to rework the intake for the fuel injection unit as it sits higher than the stock unit, found some good solutions for that that Ill share later. Also installed a custom built 2.5 to 3 inch single side exhaust, love it and soo much simpler.

Wheel wise we found some used 16's and got rid of the 16.5's. Have new brake pads and lines but so far the brakes seem to work well. New shocks and airbags up front but still need new rear shocks and front sway bar bushings.

Exterior has been throughly cleaned, what an amazing difference just doing that. Orange trim inserts from Inland RV installed and look great. Installed new Ramco mirrors, now I can actually see whats next to me, imagine that.
Installed New Bosch headlights, way better light output with the 100 watt bulbs instead of the 55w. Currently vinyl wrapping the front cap and installing LED lighting for the running lights. New window seals just came in from Inland RV. Just did the front driver window, schledge went in in a breeze but unhappy with the outer trim moulding, dosent fit that well and is supposed to allow rain to run off but the way some of it sits it seems more like a water catch! Must figure that on out. All storage bind on lower exterior have been POR-15ed inside. Generac Generator works but needs new muffler, misfires every now and them but works.

Interior has had many changes as well. New intellapower and fuse box. New 20amp outlets, Original orange shag carper GONE! Kraco crappy stereo gone, Sticky steering wheel still there and I need to wear gloves when driving it or my hands turn black. New foam and with my wifes excellent taste and sewing abilities we now have all new cushions and curtains. Fixed both waste tank drain valves so now they both open and shut. Re grounded water pump so now that works constantly. Tried to fill water tank and ran into a problem. Hose that connects tank to exterior inlet leaks. The connector pipe is this weird black hard plastic, I expected rubber. Rubber is whats going back in. Roof AC interior blower motor is shot, hoping I can repair or replace motor and not whole unit but well see. Suburban furnace is odd. With gas on at main and thermostat set to on the fan blows nut no heat. Simply cannot figure out how to light the damn thing. Seems like its an auto ignition because theres no manual lighter etc. Any thought would be great. Water heater generally works but after some time it starts to leak out of the main flame tube outside! seems like I need a new one. Fridge seems to light but wont stay lit, Haven't looked into that yet but soon. All and all thats about it. A good interior wipe down and clean is all thats needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2189.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	102598   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2236.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	902.3 KB
ID:	102599  

Name:	photo_2.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	102600   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2200.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	102601  

Name:	IMG_2407.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	621.4 KB
ID:	102602   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2409.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	550.0 KB
ID:	102603  

Name:	IMG_2181.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	694.4 KB
ID:	102604   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2540.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	558.0 KB
ID:	102605  

Name:	IMG_2542.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	729.5 KB
ID:	102606  

Imagine the sight of them linked together!

gmehal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:22 AM   #59
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
You are going to have such a great Argosy when you are finished and will have so much less invested than if you had bought one off of Ebay and had to do the same repairs.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #60
Stray

1987 32' Excella
1978 28' Argosy 28
Springfield , Missouri
You are making amazing progress. Thanks for the detail of projects tackled and results. Just curious about the before and after exterior cleaning photo's. I understood you to say you just gave it a good cleaning. However, in one of the photo's it looks like windows are taped off as you would for painting. Whatever you've done, the "after" photo looks great!!
Old 05-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
Just yesterday I was re-doing some of my trim inserts. Nice to see you have a helper.

BTW I got the trim in both sizes from the PO who hadn't got round to it so the fact that I've waited 4 years isn't the end of the world. Nice to see it in orange.

Keep up the great work.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:06 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Wow - it looks great! Did you repaint the whole thing, or just the endcaps? What kind & color of paint did you use? We've used a Krylon spray paint on the endcaps, but the color doesn't match very well.

The fabric for the curtains & upholstery is really neat; your wife did a great job! We're also thinking of replacing the foam for our cushions with something a little more sturdy. Where did you get yours?

Glad to see you've gotten so much done - can't wait to see more pictures!
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 PM   #63
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
A previous owner already took care of the orange in ours. There is evidence of it on the underside of tables etc. Luckily I didn't have to make the decision. They also painted our dash neutral tan in an attempt to match the seats he put in...it's close. Looking at your photos I realized I'm missing the flip down drink hold tray thingy over the motor box. Something I plan on making, now I have a reference.

It looks great! Keep it up.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #64
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
How to clean a mucky steering wheel, get some waterless hand cleaner of the white creamy type (not the orange gritty stuff). Smear it on the wheel and leave it for an hour. Then wash off with a rag and some hot water.

This will get it perfectly clean without damage to the plastic.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:04 AM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
NSB , Florida
[QUOTE=Ganaraska;850851]How to clean a mucky steering wheel, get some waterless hand cleaner of the white creamy type (not the orange gritty stuff). Smear it on the wheel and leave it for an hour. Then wash off with a rag and some hot water.

That's a good tip, thanks. Ours has gotten better with use, probably from grit from my hands, but the center is still pretty bad.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 25' Tradewind
Houston , Texas
Give us a running total on what your $120 Argosy cost with your upgrades. Hopefully you'll stay in the "what a deal" mode for years down the road.
Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohillgrish View Post
You are making amazing progress. Thanks for the detail of projects tackled and results. Just curious about the before and after exterior cleaning photo's. I understood you to say you just gave it a good cleaning. However, in one of the photo's it looks like windows are taped off as you would for painting. Whatever you've done, the "after" photo looks great!!
Yes we did "krylon " a few spots including the rear cap. The color we got, Ivory I believe, matches pretty well. The whole MH really needs a new paint job but for now touch ups is all its getting. We also did the lower skirt and mid stripe. We got some paint mixed from Napa auto parts, metallic brown. We then used a sprayer and did it in the driveway in a few hours. That with the touch up, orange strip now its bearable. We still need to do something with the front cap. We will be doing a vinyl wrap on that part so stay tuned that should be interesting.

Old 05-23-2010, 04:22 PM   #68
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbours View Post
We're also thinking of replacing the foam for our cushions with something a little more sturdy. Where did you get yours?

Glad to see you've gotten so much done - can't wait to see more pictures!

Local foam place cut us new foam from the originals, not cheap but sooo worth it

Old 05-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #69
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganaraska View Post
How to clean a mucky steering wheel, get some waterless hand cleaner of the white creamy type (not the orange gritty stuff). Smear it on the wheel and leave it for an hour. Then wash off with a rag and some hot water.

This will get it perfectly clean without damage to the plastic.
OH MY GOD THANK YOU!! Thats probably the only thing I havent tried. Ill report back with photos of that one!

Old 05-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
1975 26' Argosy 26
beaverton , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Give us a running total on what your $120 Argosy cost with your upgrades. Hopefully you'll stay in the "what a deal" mode for years down the road.
So far I say we have invested maybe 2-3k, the most expensive being the Fuel injection kit at $1400

Depending on fixability of the furnace, water heater and AC were looking at another 1k to complete.

Still a bargain in my book

Tags
argosy