Old 09-16-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
It lives!

Well I bought our 20' Argosy as an empty shell, but running and having had the body removed and new frame/floor fitted; I even had video from the seller of it running and had paid for a new (aluminium) petrol tank to be made to cure an issue of the filter repeatedly blocking.

All of which meant I got an unpleasant surprise when the hauler arrived and we had to use the winch to unload, and when checking under the engine cover found the fuel line wasn't even connected to the carb. A quick message to the seller uncovered that 'there was a little leak' when they tried to start it to load, and in trying to find the cause, all the fuel lines had been removed.

So it was with great pleasure that I got the message from Airstream of New England that they had tracked down the replacement fuel lines, had installed them and they were ready to 'start'er up'.

Well maybe it wasn't first turn, but the small block Chevy sounds as sweet as a nut as does the exhaust.

The 'patient' feels like she is on the road to recovery, I'm poorer to the tune of the 1/3rd deposit for the rebuild, and we have a plan. So for now I am ignoring the fact that I still haven't sorted the issue with the title, and the drivers screen got cracked on the journey from Florida (after the PO had just re-installed with new rubbers).....yesterday felt like a good day.

martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 07:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Sounds like good news. It is always better to be building than tearing apart.

Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
Thats awesome that you have it running. I remember the day after I brought mine home I had finished up fixing the electrical issues that prevented power to the ignition. There was still about 5 gallons of gas in the tank that had been put there 10 years prior. After a few seconds of cranking and stomping on the pedal my 454 fired right up and purred liked a kitten! It's a great feeling.
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #4
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Manston , Kent
Certainly feels like we are moving forward.

The frame/floor had already been replaced by the previous owner, so the shop is straight into the re-build.

Last evening was spent visiting local flooring companies, and some commercial vinyl is now ordered.

As the Argosy is being rebuilt at an Airstream dealer, we are going with units lifted straight out of a Flying Cloud range, with a twin rear-bed layout....

That was great fun walking around the various FC models, pointing at cabinetry we liked from different layouts and sizes. Although we are using a FC shower compartment, we are installing a wet bath/shower room using a Thetford cassette toilet (being imported from Europe) to do away with the black water tank.

Next big decision is 'do we need a donor' for the NLA and 'broken but expensive' parts. Hope to get that resolved this weekend as one of the next steps is the additional windows.

......and Airstream have been able to give confirmation of the chassis number so hopefully I can get the RMV to sort the title out as well!
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote