Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Interior Walls

So I am thinking of tearing out my old ugly and dirty white walls in my Argosy and replacing them with something nicer looking. I am not sure if they are original but they are riveted down. In the process I will also replace the insulation underneath because its probably full of mouse trails.

My question is this: what should I replace the walls with? I was thinking of using either polished aluminum or stainless but I am not sure if you guys have any better ideas. The stainless/aluminum may be a pain to keep clean but I like the looks. I am trying to give this thing a modern looking interior, one small piece at a time, so keep that in mind with your suggestions.

Thanks in advance!
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
1 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Granbury , Texas
Hi, and I can commiserate with the ugly dirty white walls!
My daughter suggested using Magic Erasers and boy do they clean! There are years of grime in our Airstream and this really did a wonderful job on the interior vinyl.
Thought I'd let you know.
Lezlie
LezlieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Argosy vinyl-coated aluminum interior skins clean up pretty well. It seems like a lot of effort until you look at how much effort is involved in removing and replacing all the interior skin. Is your trailer already gutted other than the interior skins?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
I can't help with cleaning with what you have but we have a 2007 Safari with interior aluminum skin. I think it stays clean and we just use a spray auto cleaner/wax and it looks real nice. My wife was specifically looking for one with aluminum interior.

Bill
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by LezlieG View Post
My daughter suggested using Magic Erasers and boy do they clean!
We were all ready to paint the interior of our trailer until we took a magic eraser to it. That stuff cleans!
andreasduess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
My walls were replaced once already with a painted aluminum. They look alright except for areas near where the old bed frame used to be or where other cabinets attached to the walls. It was remodeled in the 80s and who ever did the work used a glue to attach things to walls and it looks horrible! I've scraped and done all I can to get it off but there are still remnants of it.

I guess before I create an even bigger project for myself I will try the magic eraser suggestion or even just painting the walls. Thanks for the tips!
Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
You might have a look through this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...nts-97857.html

I started it looking for alternatives for cabinets, but a couple of the responders had gone far beyond cabinets. In the end, however, I never used any of the suggestions as they were difficult to obtain (for me, at least) and expensive. Also, for the purpose of cabinetry vs. the tambour doors, the alternatives presented their own complications.
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:57 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineStream View Post
You might have a look through this thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f38/...nts-97857.html

I started it looking for alternatives for cabinets, but a couple of the responders had gone far beyond cabinets. In the end, however, I never used any of the suggestions as they were difficult to obtain (for me, at least) and expensive. Also, for the purpose of cabinetry vs. the tambour doors, the alternatives presented their own complications.

That has some good ideas. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas
walls

A strong nylon bristle brush and 2 applications of simple green industrial will clean the walls. (purple in color available at the big box home stores)

My 76 was sticky and very, very, very dirty. The brush and simple green industrial did the trick after 2-3 applications and a lot of rags.

Forget pulling the vinyl off. That creates more problems than it's worth. I've also read you can't paint the vinyl successfully.

my 2 cents.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Marietta , Georgia
I had success with the sticky walls using the magic eraser AND the future floor cleaner/polisher by pledge. I soaked the erasers in the floor stuff with helped get the ick off. then using a sponge I used just the floor polish to seal the vinyl (like adding a coat of wax for the floor). in some areas it took more layers than in others but it's all nice and smooth and clean now.