Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Lewisville , Texas
I just bought a '76 28' Argosy MH!!!!

Hey all, great forum.
Yesterday I bought an 1976 28' Argosy motor home. I go and pick it up tomrrow.
It looks to be in great condition. It has a fresh engine rebuild, new tires and clean body. All of the electral seems to work the Generator starts and runs. I cant check the plumbing untill I get it home. I am wondering what are the most common problems with these MH? Any advice on what to look for would be great!
Thanks, Alex
Mr.Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Congrats and welcome! We all have had a variety of problems with the MHs but the most common are heat related issues...like the starter solenoid burning or simply not working when hot...plug wires burning or melting at the caps, any other wiring near the manifolds are suspect as well.
If you get past those issues, by preventing them with some common fixes it will help prevent unexpected breakdowns.
Reading through some of the threads in this area will give you ideas, but can also make you paranoid! Really its not so bad, many of us have had few, if any serious problems.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:00 PM   #3
IPM
1996 clipper gas 34'

Blue Springs , Missouri
Browse thru the old posts as far back as you can. Lots of good info.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:02 PM   #4

Smile Me Too! I just bought a 1977 28" Argosy - We need to talk!

Hi Alex and everyone. I tried to post an introduction the other day, when I joined the Forum, but I pushed the wrong button and erased it!! So now I am starting over. I just bought a 1977 28" Argosy. It is being picked up for me today in KY to be delivered to me in San Antonio, TX. Just got a call that the engine is heating up, so he is taking it to a shop tomorrow to check it out. Sure hope he makes it home with it. Then I need to start restoring it. Hey, anybody out there know an expert Argosy repair shop in the central San Antonio, TX area? I sure don't want to get stuck at a regular MH repair shop with someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of the Argosy! I know I will need to get the windows resealed, then some repairing to the fiberglass between the shell and the bumpers. The dash A/C needs work, but everything else is mechanically fine, I hope. I hope my uncle gets back with it in one piece! I want to fix up the interior and re-paint the exterior. I know I have alot of work to do on it, but it was the perfect floor plan and not too big. This is the 9th motorhome I have owned, from a small 23' all the way to a diesel 40'; now I want to retire in this smaller 28". Any advise out there would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jacklyn
JHWiley is offline   Reply With Quote