Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Iqaluit , Nunavut
Hope I Didn't Just Bite Off More Than I Can Chew

Just bought a '77 Argosy 24' motorhome.

Still runs, though it's got 90k miles and is 40 years old, so there'll be at least a few things.

Interior was well-maintained and it has been updated over the years - new awning, newish fridge, replaced plumbing a few years ago, and so on. It was used until a couple of years ago, and the owner finally decided this winter that he was too old to be crawling under it to fix things.

Hopefully I can get it running well enough for a road trip this summer. Then maybe in a couple of years I can start working on rebuilding it. We'll see.

jaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:21 PM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Congrats. Sounds like lots of fun. I wish they still built a motor home. Really like seeing the older ones around.

kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Jaban, welcome to Airforums!

Pictures, we like lots of pictures so definitely start posting pictures of your Argosy

Brad
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:04 PM   #4
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Congrats

Read the list posted in this thread for an idea on what you NEED to to do BEFORE heading out on the highway.....Yes, the airbags on the air ride suspension won't apply to you, but many other things will!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f311...ml#post1910067

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
It will be a money-pit, but not a big one, and fun.

Just know from the get-go that you'll never make your money back.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Welcome to the Forums! Just wondering, are there any other Airstreams/Argosys in Iqaluit or is yours the only one?

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Gainesville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kendrick.l.j View Post
Congrats. Sounds like lots of fun. I wish they still built a motor home. Really like seeing the older ones around.
What about the Interstate, that's a motor home.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:52 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1973 21' Globetrotter
1975 26' Argosy 26
Vista , California
When you do get around to engine rebuilding, I found that you can drop engine and transmission as one unit out the bottom, with a cherry picker through the front. you need to jack it up high enough, place the engine on some plywood, and use small pipes for rollers, to slide it out. Took about an hour to to get it back in, once I knew how. A good winter project.
bibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
First welcome to the forum this is THE best place for information...
95% of what I've learned about my 345 Motorhome, has come from the fine people on these forums.
From tires on the road to the AC units on top!
My 345 is pretty beat-up, I have no plans to restore it (but it does seem like sooner or later I will have replaced or repaired everything)
Ya I complain when things don't go as planed, flat tires, expensive towing, outdated electrical, and once waking up to a wet bed (NOT my own doing)
BUT... when it's running, and people are driving by and waving (not pointing at a rear storage drawer that has slid open) there is no better feeling
I only wish there were more vintage Motorhome out there... of the 4 or 5 forum get together and rally's I've gone to I've been the only "vintage" Motorhome there...
But make no mistake about it, the trailer people have a LOT to offer...
One other myth I have found to be totally false is that Airstream owners are a snooty bunch.
just about every Airstream owner I've met also Owens a toolbox. It has always been my opinion anyone who owns a toolbox. has something I can learn from!
I have a toolbox and a 30 year old Chevy bread truck with a 454 and a 34.5' Airstream mounted on top (better known as a 345)
I love to answer questions when I can, and more then willing to offer my long winded opinions when I get a chance
(Can ya tell)
Work on it in your free time
Drive it when you can
Camp in it at least once this year
And every once in a while just take a few steps back and look at it...
Because it is the coolest thing on the road, and it's yours!
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #10
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by vito98103 View Post
It will be a money-pit, but not a big one, and fun.

Just know from the get-go that you'll never make your money back.
If you get someone to do all the work for you, yes your statement could be true; but if you do most of the work yourself these rigs are increasing in value. I have seen 325's for $225,000, $125,000 and $75,000. 345's for $75,000+ and 280 turbo diesels for $75,000+.

My 1983 310 turbo diesel is worth considerably more than what I bought it for; and I do mean considerably. Yes, I put $5,000 in parts into it and a ton of hours but I'm still in the green by a large margin.

Cheers
Tony

ďItís a recession when your neighbor loses his job; itís a depression when you lose your own.Ē "Harry S Truman"
Old 02-11-2017, 12:31 AM   #11
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
If you get someone to do all the work for you, yes your statement could be true; but if you do most of the work yourself these rigs are increasing in value. I have seen 325's for $225,000, $125,000 and $75,000. 345's for $75,000+ and 280 turbo diesels for $75,000+.

My 1983 310 turbo diesel is worth considerably more than what I bought it for; and I do mean considerably. Yes, I put $5,000 in parts into it and a ton of hours but I'm still in the green by a large margin.

Cheers
Tony
Its an interesting subject...so my 5c worth...

Those following Bella's thread know how much I have invested in her. Twice now I have been offered that amount to sell her and I have turned both down. What may sound crazy is I know if I would put her for general sale I could only ask maybe 1/10th of that. So why did I not grab the hand of the deal on offer? Because I spent the money to use and enjoy Bella, and the money spent on her represents the pleasure we expect to get out, so if I took the offer, I would simply start again. Even though Bella isn't 'perfect' and I would do things differently a second time, whats the point in taking the money only to start over?

One thing I can say is, both the offers I have had came from the 10 mile radius in New Jersey.....so if I ever did sell I would understand who would be interested in buying, ie the professional demographic looking to escape from their routine existence, park Bella up in a prominent place (like a gas station) viewable from one of the main commuting routes and wait for the offers to flow in, not post on eBay or Craigslist and hope someone is looking!
martin300662 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:15 AM   #12

Iqaluit , Nunavut
Thanks all :-)

DavidsonOverlander: it's not where I am, but it would be the only one if it were. Iqaluit is on an ice-locked island - no roads in/out, access by boat for only two months a year (and only then with an icebreaker clearing the way). I'll have to fly out to work on it.

For the first road trip, I can't take time off to work on it and time off work for the trip, so I have to have someone else do the bulk of the initial work. That's mostly on the truck itself. The list Isuzusweet referred to is pretty close to the list the mechanic gave me. That's going to cost me. The only consolation is that it was relatively inexpensive to begin with.

The interior rebuild will be something I do myself, if I do it. I like the idea, but the devil's in the details: I can't bring it here. It's too expensive and too cold. And having someone else do it isn't any fun. So I'll have to decide based on whether or not I plan to move somewhere it can be driven to within the next few years.

And here are a few potato-cam photos:
Attached Images

jaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
@ Jaban

That looks to be a very sweet, well cared for Argosy. I can only judge on the pictures but I think you're good on the money side from the get go. She looks like she has good bones. Give her some love and TLC and she will be happy for it and give you years of memories.

Brad and Martin will be happy to see another Argosy go to a good home.

Don't scrimp but redo every system. For example, the brake system.

I would change the master cylinder and all soft lines straight up as they are 40+ years old if you don't have hard evidence that it has already been done. Inspect all hard brake lines and callipers for corrosion (calliper rebuild kits should be very cheap); inspect brake pads for integrity and change if unsure of age or condition, (you don't want a brake pads coming off the backer).

Bonus side is that parts for these rigs are plentiful and fairly cheap. A master cylinder is only $80-$90 dollars.....but you want to stop and peace of mind the system will work and was fixed right.

Great find!

Cheers
Tony

Old 02-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1979 24' Airstream Excella 24
Tipp City , Ohio
Nothing says 70's like avocado upholstery.
I love it. Hope you are not planning on changing that.
Welcome to the forum.
Gregsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaban View Post
Thanks all :-)

DavidsonOverlander: it's not where I am, but it would be the only one if it were. Iqaluit is on an ice-locked island - no roads in/out, access by boat for only two months a year (and only then with an icebreaker clearing the way). I'll have to fly out to work on it.
I thought you might be keeping it somewhere else, but it seems like Airstreams have been taken almost everywhere else in the world!

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote