Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-10-2008, 01:32 PM   #21
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Radiator

Well I got home from my 7 day Amtrak train trip out to California. Was that ever a great ride....would highly recommend it to all.

Anyway.... when I got home I called the radiator shop and they had my radiator all ready to go. They had to record my radiator. All there is to that is that they order a core that is same size as your old core...then they take the upper and lower tank off the old rad and solder it inplace on the new cord. It comes out looking like a brand new radiator. All total I guess it took about 8 or 9 hours to install it back into the RV. Not really to bad of a job. When I first started the engine I did not have one leak....LOL. I was hoping that I would see a little bit of drop in running temp but it is pretty much the same as with the old core. My RV runs right at about 205 degrees. For those interested in price....and who isn't... the total was 409.69. I figure labor if it was out on the road would run another $500.

Talk to you again when the next thing gives up the ghost...hopfully it will again be in my driveway.

Charles
Old 04-10-2008, 02:25 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Based on my experience, I would not trust temp reading unless you have validated your gauge.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM   #23
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Temp

Well I'm not too concerned with 205 temp. According to what I read with antifreeze in the system and a pressurized system (15 pounds in this case) the boiling point is not reach until around 265 degrees. These big block engines normally run over 200.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
What I did to verify my temp gauge was to buy an infrared pyrometer and use it to check the temperature on various parts of the radiator and engine. What I found was the gauge was always reading a little high and worse as the supplied voltage to the dash instruments dropped the temperature read even hotter. I still haven't tracked down the problem with the voltage but at least now I know what temperature the engine really runs at.

Surprisingly it never ran much over about 205.

The infrared pyrometer was only about $40 an seems to work quite well. I've found lots of uses for it once I got it .

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
tn2
DixieDove

1978 Argosy 27
1978 28' Argosy 28
Camden , Tennessee
Pyrometer

I've often thought I would like to get a pyrometer.....$40 is not too bad of a price. Hey....thought just crossed my mind....I was wondering what else I might use the meter for....do you think it would work for making fudge....LOL
Old 04-11-2008, 05:58 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Internal vs. external temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler
What I did to verify my temp gauge was to buy an infrared pyrometer and use it to check the temperature on various parts of the radiator and engine. ...
The temperature gauge is connected to a sensor mounted to measure coolant temperature (internal temperature).

I can easily see that any device which measures skin temperature would return a different reading (external temperature).

External skin temperatures, with all the various types of metal in the way, would be slower to respond to coolant temps, and would be affected by other heat sources (exhaust manifolds & radiator fan convected heat).

In my opinion, the coolant temperature is the best indicator of how comfortable the engine is.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 06:37 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
In my opinion, the coolant temperature is the best indicator of how comfortable the engine is.

Tom
Tom, I certainly don't disagree with you. I didn't just check the radiator I also checked various parts of the block as well. Temperatures were in line with what I would have expected to see.

The main reason I wanted to check with a pyrometer was because with-in minutes my gauge temperature would swing 15 to 20 degrees with no change in surrounding conditions (i.e. driving speed, hills, etc). The only difference was the dash voltage would drop to often times less than 12 and those readings corresponded to the higher coolant temperatures. The pyrometer confirmed for me the external engine temps stayed the same during the periods of voltage & temp gauge fluctuations.

What I really want to do is install a mechanical temperature gauge to give more accurate readings of engine coolant. This on my list of must do's some day.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 04-11-2008, 06:42 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2
I've often thought I would like to get a pyrometer.....$40 is not too bad of a price. Hey....thought just crossed my mind....I was wondering what else I might use the meter for....do you think it would work for making fudge....LOL
Making fudge, monitoring boiling water, checking the temperature of the air coming out of your dash vents, checking seat temperature before sitting in it if its been in the hot sun, etc.

The list is endless as to what you can do with an infrared pyrometer

Don't leave home without one!

Brad
Old 04-11-2008, 06:43 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Brad,

After working with mechanical temperature gauges, there is another feature I like very much. You can monitor temps after you shut everything off. Not that you can do anything about it short of a cool-down supplementary coolant pump, I have seen them, but you can watch what happens during the heat-soak period.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tn2
I personally have found that I prefer my “beverages” at 25 degrees.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Looks like my radiator in my 24 ft 1977 argosy. I have three. One for the engine one for the airconditioner and one for the transmission.
geirws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #32
INSANITY CENTRAL

1986 32' Excella
Airstream Funeral Coach
Citrus Heights , California
second that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Hi Brad,

After working with mechanical temperature gauges, there is another feature I like very much. You can monitor temps after you shut everything off. Not that you can do anything about it .
yup I remember those days, Red flag drops, park up high on the track.Kill the motor and watch the temp gauge climb, 240,250,260 man oh man. even higher at times. Finally "moused" a cooler with a 2 gallon bug sprayer and a long hose that sprayed water on the radiator. worked, thinking of maybe doing the same thing on my moho.It worked much better when the car was moving-forward.

www.popasmoke.com

Proud Appellation American

Vine View Heights is now closed.

YETI ( 65 Quart )

IGLOO (Ice Cube, 50 Quart )
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by doorgunner
yup I remember those days, Red flag drops, park up high on the track.Kill the motor and watch the temp gauge climb, 240,250,260 man oh man. even higher at times. Finally "moused" a cooler with a 2 gallon bug sprayer and a long hose that sprayed water on the radiator. worked, thinking of maybe doing the same thing on my moho.It worked much better when the car was moving-forward.
I have seen a water spray set up on a classic MH. Its's very simple if you sue the "house" water system. All you need is the spay nozzle(s), an electrically operated valve, and some pex. (And a working water pump and water in your tank).

My rig runs cool enough (even when climbing in hot weather) that I don't have a need).

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 03:55 PM   #34
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietWater View Post
If you haven't read the thread "Radiator Blues" that is listed down below the Quick Reply box, do so. It has a wealth of information on removal, repair, replacement, installation, and other cooling issues, like the oil and transmission coolers.
Here is a link to The Radiator Blues thread.

My radiator also has a leak so I am doing the research!
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:36 PM   #35
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas
I have a place in Dallas if you need it re-cored. My 76 had to be re-cored. No other options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewRVs View Post
Here is a link to The Radiator Blues thread.

My radiator also has a leak so I am doing the research!
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:21 AM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Charleston , West Virginia
Send a message via Yahoo to ViewRVs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJ View Post
I have a place in Dallas if you need it re-cored. My 76 had to be re-cored. No other options.
Thanks. I did find a place in Ashland, Kentucky that is going to re-core my radiator (today actually). The first radiator that came in did not match. Re-coring the existing radiator eliminates the problem of finding the right replacement.
ViewRVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:03 PM   #37
MrJ
3 Rivet Member

1976 28' Argosy 28
Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewRVs View Post
Thanks. I did find a place in Ashland, Kentucky that is going to re-core my radiator (today actually). The first radiator that came in did not match. Re-coring the existing radiator eliminates the problem of finding the right replacement.

I searched a long time with no success. Re-coreing my 76 was the only option. Getting the radiator out was painful. Next time I'm jacking it up or something.

Going to move the oil cooler when time permits.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote