Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Got'er running and moving today

So we have only had the RV a few weeks now. It sat up for around 8 years. Got her running today. Cranks and idles fine but I think the tiny fuel setup I rigged up isnt quite up to snuff for the 454. I'm going to go ahead and replace all of the fuel lines/pump and try to get it running on the original tank. The carburetor seems to run out of fuel if I get on it. Either way it cranks up, idles smooth, and I moved it around today. Cleaning the tank and replacing the pump shouldn't be a big deal hopefully. I might put an electric pump after the fuel tank and still leave the mechanical pump like I read on a thread. Apparently GM did that in the mid 80s. The unit only needs to drive about 10 miles then the old 454 is probably coming out to be replaced by the L18 anyway.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjona5 View Post
So we have only had the RV a few weeks now. It sat up for around 8 years. Got her running today. Cranks and idles fine but I think the tiny fuel setup I rigged up isnt quite up to snuff for the 454. I'm going to go ahead and replace all of the fuel lines/pump and try to get it running on the original tank. The carburetor seems to run out of fuel if I get on it. Either way it cranks up, idles smooth, and I moved it around today. Cleaning the tank and replacing the pump shouldn't be a big deal hopefully. I might put an electric pump after the fuel tank and still leave the mechanical pump like I read on a thread. Apparently GM did that in the mid 80s. The unit only needs to drive about 10 miles then the old 454 is probably coming out to be replaced by the L18 anyway.
Good deal! I'm sure it was a nice feeling to hear the 454 fire off

Since you're going to be replacing all of the fuel lines and add a pusher pump I would suggest a Carter P4070 which is what GM added to the longer rigs. Also I would suggest adding a course filter right outside the tank before the electric pump and then a fine filter after the mechanical pump. Not knowing the condition of the fuel tank the course filter will probably save you a lot of grief.

Before you make the final decision as to whether to pull the 454 you might consider going the TBI route with the current engine. In the long run the cost would probably be considerably less and would make the 454 very reliable and it's really not that hard to do.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Well the thing is, I found a guy that will trade a pistol of mine for an entire wrecked 8.1l with allison truck that had 120k on the clock. I have done a few engine swaps before(sr20 into an mgb, 7.3l into a 78 f150, and some easier chevy swaps). Since this thing bolts up my current issue is only getting a drum brake on the back of the 4x4 allison but I'm sure it can be done. I'll use a tablet and an obd2 bluetooth adapter initially for all the gauges that can't be hooked up easily as well.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Having a donor already on hand certainly makes the decision making progress easier!

Wish I could help with the drum brake but I don't know anything about the Alison transmissions.

Brad
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels & windows left to sell)
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 35' Airstream 350
Beachburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Good deal! I'm sure it was a nice feeling to hear the 454 fire off

Since you're going to be replacing all of the fuel lines and add a pusher pump I would suggest a Carter P4070 which is what GM added to the longer rigs. Also I would suggest adding a course filter right outside the tank before the electric pump and then a fine filter after the mechanical pump. Not knowing the condition of the fuel tank the course filter will probably save you a lot of grief.

Before you make the final decision as to whether to pull the 454 you might consider going the TBI route with the current engine. In the long run the cost would probably be considerably less and would make the 454 very reliable and it's really not that hard to do.

Brad
Good advice I hope you take it !!!
Old 05-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Well the thing is, I found a guy that will trade a pistol of mine for an entire wrecked 8.1l with allison truck that had 120k on the clock.
That must be some kind of pistol; even if the truck's wrecked, but hey, I rather a pistol be traded to keep one of these queens on the road and bringing enjoyment and happiness seeing the sights of unseen lands, versus keeping a firearm. That's a trade I'd make in a heartbeat.

Oh, and before you think I'm some bleeding heart liberal......I'm not; I'm just done with shooting people; and into RVing.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
That must be some kind of pistol; even if the truck's wrecked, but hey, I rather a pistol be traded to keep one of these queens on the road and bringing enjoyment and happiness seeing the sights of unseen lands, versus keeping a firearm. That's a trade I'd make in a heartbeat.

Oh, and before you think I'm some bleeding heart liberal......I'm not; I'm just done with shooting people; and into RVing.

Cheers
Tony
No judgement here. I'm going to go check compression maybe tomorrow and then haul it home next weekend. It was in a frame bending wreck and the guy wants it gone. I contacted a few Allison dealers to see if I can put a brake on the back easily.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Made the trip to the shop today. One of the rear brakes locked up and was smoking by the time I got there. Oh well. Drove pretty well minus the secondaries not opening on the carb.
Old 05-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
It was in a frame bending wreck and the guy wants it gone.
Is it still wrecked or did the PO have it fixed through insurance?

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
A friend of his wrecked the truck and he bought it as scrap because he wanted to put the engine in some project of his from what I'm told. Said his wife is pregnant again and she said the truck needed to go. I'm going to bring a battery and my compression tester. I'll check the plugs for signs of oil fouling also. I've been thinking about buying new forged pistons and rebuilding the bottom end on the 8.1l. I've heard about the only problem with them was weak castings on the pistons. I'll sell my 454 once its out for whatever I can get for it and then part out the rest of the truck. Maybe I'll break even on the swap sans the gun. I'm going to mod the radiator core support for a bigger crossflow radiator with electric fans, drop the tank and try to install the same fuel pump/return line setup as the Chevy has, and bend hard lines to replace all of the hoses under the argosy(THERE ARE SOOO MANY HOSES ZIP TIED TO EVERYTHING).

The argosy made the trip fine it was never in a wreck or anything. Minus the brake smoking from sticking it was uneventful.
Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Went and looked at the engine yesterday(much longer drive than I though) but I am going to pick it up next weekend probably. I'll pull the intake, replace the seals, mod the pcv system, remove the egr, and send off the pcv and harness. But I have two other trucks in the shop that need to be finished first. I'll probably get to this by the end of summer. Will probably also order a deep sump oil pan for the allison and a cooler with fan to put up in the frame instead of running it to the front of the truck.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Found out the 4x4 version of the transmission can't use the parking brake. It is a special version on the 2wd unit with 4 bolt holes. Not completely sure what the next plan on that is. have to get the truck home first. That said we went ahead and ordered all new brake hoses, rear calipers, rear rotors, all new pads, and a master cylinder.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Sounds like your only solution on the Allison would be to source the necessary two wheel drive parts for the brake conversion. Sometimes there's just no easy solution to a problem
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Sounds like your only solution on the Allison would be to source the necessary two wheel drive parts for the brake conversion. Sometimes there's just no easy solution to a problem
Yeah I found a guy with a drum brake allison and he might trade me the whole thing for an old spicer 5 speed I have in the shop. Figure I'll swap the ends if the gear ratios on his transmission isn't what I want it to be or just put his transmission on if it is and then sell my complete 4x4 setup to someone.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Maybe pull the pan on each of the transmissions and see which one looks the best. That should help you in your decision making.

At least you have a reasonable option.

Brad
Old 06-01-2017, 01:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Found a wrecking yard that will just sell and ship me the conversion setup. Little high but less traveling for me.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
That's great! Even better it appears to be a straight bolt-on deal which should save you a bunch of time as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
awesome! Let me know when you get far enough along that you might want some pictures of the cable linkage. I'd be glad to post some of my Allison if you feel like you need them. Ive got the Isuzu 6bd1 but the cable linkage could be similar. Will you use the hand operated cable or foot operated?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Hoping to hook up the cable mount. I have two trucks to finish before the rv though. I just want to have all the parts ready. I'm teaching summer school too so that's slowing shop work. I appreciate the help!
Old 06-05-2017, 12:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I went ahead and picked up the donor truck yesterday and I found a guy willing to trade an old 5 speed spicer for an allison complete that already has the drum brake. So I'm going to go pick that up probably next weekend. After school during the week I'm going to pull all the parts I want from this truck and probably send out the harness to get it modified. I'll probably wait on the trans pcm and 8.1l pcm until I get the engine all mounted.