Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Got'er running and moving today

So we have only had the RV a few weeks now. It sat up for around 8 years. Got her running today. Cranks and idles fine but I think the tiny fuel setup I rigged up isnt quite up to snuff for the 454. I'm going to go ahead and replace all of the fuel lines/pump and try to get it running on the original tank. The carburetor seems to run out of fuel if I get on it. Either way it cranks up, idles smooth, and I moved it around today. Cleaning the tank and replacing the pump shouldn't be a big deal hopefully. I might put an electric pump after the fuel tank and still leave the mechanical pump like I read on a thread. Apparently GM did that in the mid 80s. The unit only needs to drive about 10 miles then the old 454 is probably coming out to be replaced by the L18 anyway.
__________________

Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 06:54 AM   #2
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjona5 View Post
So we have only had the RV a few weeks now. It sat up for around 8 years. Got her running today. Cranks and idles fine but I think the tiny fuel setup I rigged up isnt quite up to snuff for the 454. I'm going to go ahead and replace all of the fuel lines/pump and try to get it running on the original tank. The carburetor seems to run out of fuel if I get on it. Either way it cranks up, idles smooth, and I moved it around today. Cleaning the tank and replacing the pump shouldn't be a big deal hopefully. I might put an electric pump after the fuel tank and still leave the mechanical pump like I read on a thread. Apparently GM did that in the mid 80s. The unit only needs to drive about 10 miles then the old 454 is probably coming out to be replaced by the L18 anyway.
Good deal! I'm sure it was a nice feeling to hear the 454 fire off

Since you're going to be replacing all of the fuel lines and add a pusher pump I would suggest a Carter P4070 which is what GM added to the longer rigs. Also I would suggest adding a course filter right outside the tank before the electric pump and then a fine filter after the mechanical pump. Not knowing the condition of the fuel tank the course filter will probably save you a lot of grief.

Before you make the final decision as to whether to pull the 454 you might consider going the TBI route with the current engine. In the long run the cost would probably be considerably less and would make the 454 very reliable and it's really not that hard to do.

Brad
__________________

__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 08:34 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Well the thing is, I found a guy that will trade a pistol of mine for an entire wrecked 8.1l with allison truck that had 120k on the clock. I have done a few engine swaps before(sr20 into an mgb, 7.3l into a 78 f150, and some easier chevy swaps). Since this thing bolts up my current issue is only getting a drum brake on the back of the 4x4 allison but I'm sure it can be done. I'll use a tablet and an obd2 bluetooth adapter initially for all the gauges that can't be hooked up easily as well.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,387
Having a donor already on hand certainly makes the decision making progress easier!

Wish I could help with the drum brake but I don't know anything about the Alison transmissions.

Brad
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 11:51 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
 
OttawaValleyGuy's Avatar
 
1991 35' Airstream 350
Barry's Bay , Ontario
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Good deal! I'm sure it was a nice feeling to hear the 454 fire off

Since you're going to be replacing all of the fuel lines and add a pusher pump I would suggest a Carter P4070 which is what GM added to the longer rigs. Also I would suggest adding a course filter right outside the tank before the electric pump and then a fine filter after the mechanical pump. Not knowing the condition of the fuel tank the course filter will probably save you a lot of grief.

Before you make the final decision as to whether to pull the 454 you might consider going the TBI route with the current engine. In the long run the cost would probably be considerably less and would make the 454 very reliable and it's really not that hard to do.

Brad
Good advice I hope you take it !!!
__________________
Howard and Ann Schutt
OttawaValleyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #6
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjona5 View Post
Well the thing is, I found a guy that will trade a pistol of mine for an entire wrecked 8.1l with allison truck that had 120k on the clock.
That must be some kind of pistol; even if the truck's wrecked, but hey, I rather a pistol be traded to keep one of these queens on the road and bringing enjoyment and happiness seeing the sights of unseen lands, versus keeping a firearm. That's a trade I'd make in a heartbeat.

Oh, and before you think I'm some bleeding heart liberal......I'm not; I'm just done with shooting people; and into RVing.

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
That must be some kind of pistol; even if the truck's wrecked, but hey, I rather a pistol be traded to keep one of these queens on the road and bringing enjoyment and happiness seeing the sights of unseen lands, versus keeping a firearm. That's a trade I'd make in a heartbeat.

Oh, and before you think I'm some bleeding heart liberal......I'm not; I'm just done with shooting people; and into RVing.

Cheers
Tony
No judgement here. I'm going to go check compression maybe tomorrow and then haul it home next weekend. It was in a frame bending wreck and the guy wants it gone. I contacted a few Allison dealers to see if I can put a brake on the back easily.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:00 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Made the trip to the shop today. One of the rear brakes locked up and was smoking by the time I got there. Oh well. Drove pretty well minus the secondaries not opening on the carb.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:29 PM   #9
Dazed and Confused
 
Isuzusweet's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjona5 View Post
It was in a frame bending wreck and the guy wants it gone.
Is it still wrecked or did the PO have it fixed through insurance?

Cheers
Tony
__________________
Per Mare, Per Terram and may all your campaigns be successful.

Its a recession when your neighbor loses his job; its a depression when you lose your own. "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
A friend of his wrecked the truck and he bought it as scrap because he wanted to put the engine in some project of his from what I'm told. Said his wife is pregnant again and she said the truck needed to go. I'm going to bring a battery and my compression tester. I'll check the plugs for signs of oil fouling also. I've been thinking about buying new forged pistons and rebuilding the bottom end on the 8.1l. I've heard about the only problem with them was weak castings on the pistons. I'll sell my 454 once its out for whatever I can get for it and then part out the rest of the truck. Maybe I'll break even on the swap sans the gun. I'm going to mod the radiator core support for a bigger crossflow radiator with electric fans, drop the tank and try to install the same fuel pump/return line setup as the Chevy has, and bend hard lines to replace all of the hoses under the argosy(THERE ARE SOOO MANY HOSES ZIP TIED TO EVERYTHING).

The argosy made the trip fine it was never in a wreck or anything. Minus the brake smoking from sticking it was uneventful.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 06:50 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Went and looked at the engine yesterday(much longer drive than I though) but I am going to pick it up next weekend probably. I'll pull the intake, replace the seals, mod the pcv system, remove the egr, and send off the pcv and harness. But I have two other trucks in the shop that need to be finished first. I'll probably get to this by the end of summer. Will probably also order a deep sump oil pan for the allison and a cooler with fan to put up in the frame instead of running it to the front of the truck.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Found out the 4x4 version of the transmission can't use the parking brake. It is a special version on the 2wd unit with 4 bolt holes. Not completely sure what the next plan on that is. have to get the truck home first. That said we went ahead and ordered all new brake hoses, rear calipers, rear rotors, all new pads, and a master cylinder.
Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 AM   #13
Rivet Master
 
bkahler's Avatar

 
1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 7,387
Sounds like your only solution on the Allison would be to source the necessary two wheel drive parts for the brake conversion. Sometimes there's just no easy solution to a problem
__________________
Air forums # 1674
1974 20' Argosy Motor Home
1974 31' Excella trailer (parting out, as of 4/1/2015 I have wheels, brake drums, windows & holding tanks left to sell)
bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member
 
Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
Sounds like your only solution on the Allison would be to source the necessary two wheel drive parts for the brake conversion. Sometimes there's just no easy solution to a problem
Yeah I found a guy with a drum brake allison and he might trade me the whole thing for an old spicer 5 speed I have in the shop. Figure I'll swap the ends if the gear ratios on his transmission isn't what I want it to be or just put his transmission on if it is and then sell my complete 4x4 setup to someone.
__________________

Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GOT IT! ... and got it home! thiel Airstream Lifestyle 28 11-18-2016 04:06 AM
Got Our AIR Account Up and Running Finally mintageAIR Member Introductions 1 11-22-2010 02:12 PM
Just got my first Airstream and moving in tomorrow canadiangent Member Introductions 2 01-05-2010 08:08 PM
Got a new axle on my and I am not sure what I got rustyrivet Axles 3 11-26-2008 08:44 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.