Old 06-01-2017, 09:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Maybe pull the pan on each of the transmissions and see which one looks the best. That should help you in your decision making.

At least you have a reasonable option.

Brad

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Found a wrecking yard that will just sell and ship me the conversion setup. Little high but less traveling for me.

Jjona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
That's great! Even better it appears to be a straight bolt-on deal which should save you a bunch of time as well.
Old 06-01-2017, 03:21 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
awesome! Let me know when you get far enough along that you might want some pictures of the cable linkage. I'd be glad to post some of my Allison if you feel like you need them. Ive got the Isuzu 6bd1 but the cable linkage could be similar. Will you use the hand operated cable or foot operated?
mayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 03:29 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Hoping to hook up the cable mount. I have two trucks to finish before the rv though. I just want to have all the parts ready. I'm teaching summer school too so that's slowing shop work. I appreciate the help!
Old 06-05-2017, 01:55 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I went ahead and picked up the donor truck yesterday and I found a guy willing to trade an old 5 speed spicer for an allison complete that already has the drum brake. So I'm going to go pick that up probably next weekend. After school during the week I'm going to pull all the parts I want from this truck and probably send out the harness to get it modified. I'll probably wait on the trans pcm and 8.1l pcm until I get the engine all mounted.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Sounds like you're on a roll

Not sure what you mean by waiting on the trans and engine PCMs, are you pulling them from the donor pickup?
Old 06-05-2017, 10:05 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
I don't want to send off the pcm and harness for modding until I'm closer to getting it in. Pulled the harness and both pcms today. Hope to pull the engine and transmission by the weekend.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjona5 View Post
I don't want to send off the pcm and harness for modding until I'm closer to getting it in. Pulled the harness and both pcms today. Hope to pull the engine and transmission by the weekend.
I was wondering if you were hoping to use the engine PCM as is. When I did my TBI conversion I worked with a guy (tuner) that set me up with a PCM programmed with a basic setup. We then went through a series of test runs where I would log the data from the test run, sent it to him and he would send back a modified chip at which point we would repeat the process.

Considering you're installing the motor in a much heavier chassis I would expect you would need to go through this same basic process to ensure the engine is tuned for it's new configuration.

Brad
Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkahler View Post
I was wondering if you were hoping to use the engine PCM as is. When I did my TBI conversion I worked with a guy (tuner) that set me up with a PCM programmed with a basic setup. We then went through a series of test runs where I would log the data from the test run, sent it to him and he would send back a modified chip at which point we would repeat the process.

Considering you're installing the motor in a much heavier chassis I would expect you would need to go through this same basic process to ensure the engine is tuned for it's new configuration.

Brad
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170606_195521.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	287023 this is the donor.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Attachment 287023 this is the donor.
Good deal

The only thing I can add and you probably already know this but just in case, it's best to remove and save as many parts as possible and then when you're done you can toss what you don't need. Little pcm mounting brackets, special screws, holders, etc are invaluable to have on hand as you're putting things back together!

I've spent way to much time trying to source a lot of little odd ball stuff that eats up a lot of my time and money

Brad
Old 06-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Yup good call. I pulled all the wiring, brackets, and etc from the engine bay and have put them in bins. I'm hoping with a knock sensor move my 454 headers will work fine. Already ordered the egr plate but I'm still looking for someone to do my wiring mod. I could do it but I'd rather just pay someone with my time being so limited. I'm pretty much going to save everything that bolted or touched my wiring or engine/transmission.

I've got to get the allison pcm reprogrammed for the gear ratio and tires and the engine pcm reprogrammed for security and smog. Once I get it running I'll probably try to catch blackbear when they travel around and just drive the RV up there lol. I'm sure I'll get some wide eyes but they reviews are too good to pass. Also found a guy to weld up my manifold after I cut it to do the intake mod. Did you do the pcv reroute? I also have a metal brake in the shop so I think I'll make a nice aluminum "ram air" above the radiator like most trucks have now that routes to the filter box.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Yup good call. I pulled all the wiring, brackets, and etc from the engine bay and have put them in bins. I'm hoping with a knock sensor move my 454 headers will work fine. Already ordered the egr plate but I'm still looking for someone to do my wiring mod. I could do it but I'd rather just pay someone with my time being so limited. I'm pretty much going to save everything that bolted or touched my wiring or engine/transmission.
Can't blame you for wanting to get someone else to do the harness rework. It's not hard work but can definitely suck up valuable time.

I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to figure out how to mount the PCM. I was looking for something simple and cheap and finally got lucky and found something appropriate on ebay. Hopefully the PCM holder in your donor truck will be able to work for you.

Quote:
I've got to get the allison pcm reprogrammed for the gear ratio and tires and the engine pcm reprogrammed for security and smog. Once I get it running I'll probably try to catch blackbear when they travel around and just drive the RV up there lol. I'm sure I'll get some wide eyes but they reviews are too good to pass. Also found a guy to weld up my manifold after I cut it to do the intake mod. Did you do the pcv reroute? I also have a metal brake in the shop so I think I'll make a nice aluminum "ram air" above the radiator like most trucks have now that routes to the filter box.
I wonder when GM switched to separate computers for the transmission and engine? I had a hard enough time shoehorning in box!

As far as PCV, all I have for emissions is the PCV that goes from the left valve cover to the throttle body and the hose that goes from the right valve cover up to the intake housing. No other pollution control equipment is required or in place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170505_090409.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	316.1 KB
ID:	287044
Old 06-07-2017, 02:03 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1977 28' Argosy 28
Baytown , Texas
Oh you went with the tbi. I'm going to have to cut the inside of my manifold to remove the baffle and weld the pcv shut. In the 8.1l factory l18 the pcv is all internal and a terrible design. The suction for the pcv is located in the valley and ends up sucking up lots of oil that is splashing around. I'm thinking about adding pcv ports to each valve cover. A guy sells a gadget that uses the egr port for vacuum and then a port in the front of the intake for the crankcase port. Your way looks much easier but I want the port injection. I can't wait to see the looks on peoples faces probably years from now when I show up to the black bear tuning event near me in a 28 ft 40 year old RV.