Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Argosy Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
1974 20' Argosy 20
San Diego , California
Generac start up problem

I have a 20' Argosy MH with the original Generac model 6206-5 generator in it. The generator would usually start right away or pretty quickly after a few tries from either inside the cabin or right off of the unit itself. After not starting it for around 3 months I can not get it to run. It will turn over quickly but will not catch and keep running. Am I missing some step or a hidden switch to throw? Plenty of power getting to it. Oil Pressure light flashes on for a second upon the initial crank over but it goes out right away. There is what appears to be a breaker box mounted in the compartment on the left hand side of the unit. I've tried starting it with the switch flipped both ways but no go. Does the power cord need to be disconnected from the plug before I fire up the generator? All help and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the last issue I'm facing before taking it out and using it regularly.
Thanks,
bIRD
birdsurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:35 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
If you can, take the air cleaner off and spray a little start fluid into the carb. Then try to start it right away. If you get it to fire a few times, this means you have a fuel supply issue. If not, then a spark issue. My Onan has a couple fuses on it, one of which is for a fuel pump. Check the fuse and the output of the pump to make sure its working. If its a spark issue, check your wires and replace your plugs. My wires press into the caps that go on the plugs so if the wire comes loose it will not get good spark. Report back once you do that and we can go from there if you are still having issues. Hopefully not
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote