Old 04-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
It does work for AC systems and I've used it to fix many friend's vehicles. I use it for changing oil on my boat too
Great tip! I knew there would be more uses for the vacuum pump than just AC work

bkahler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by mprokop87 View Post
You better hurry on that suspension work, rally is just over a week away!
Ain't gonna happen this time

If there's a Get Together next year I "might" be able to drive an empty shell but that's about it.

Old 04-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1982 31' Airstream 310
champaign , Illinois
But you are coming to the get together.....right?

Mike
Old 04-30-2016, 03:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Definitely!

I've got a bunch of parts for various people that I will be bringing along.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:52 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Austin , Texas
Nice work Mike. I've got those exact bags in mine. PO had them done. Frustratingly enough they leak. Not enough to be an issue during a day of driving, but enough to have to pull out the airline and pump them up prior to leaving the campround each trip. Just one extra hassle. I've vowed to replace them with weight matched springs alone next time. Just remove them entirely from the equation.
Great install time.
Old 05-04-2016, 06:53 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
SW Florida , Florida
Do these air bags really help - does it ride hard or better or what? Please let me know - we are debating doing the same thing.
Elisa
Old 05-04-2016, 08:20 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elisa View Post
Do these air bags really help - does it ride hard or better or what? Please let me know - we are debating doing the same thing.
Elisa
Elisa, you basically have two options. Install the airbags or upgrade the front springs based on the weight of your coach. A lot of forum members have upgraded the springs with positive results.

At a minimum install the air bags as it does help smooth out the ride and keeps the front end from bouncing as much.

Brad
Old 05-04-2016, 08:40 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
SW Florida , Florida
Springs or Coils vs. New Airbags?

Brad,
My mechanic-at-home wants to know if you mean the coils when you say "springs"? Ours is the 24' MH. And what does upgrade mean - larger, new, what? Be specific - I am SO clueless.
Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Elisa, you basically have two options. Install the airbags or upgrade the front springs based on the weight of your coach. A lot of forum members have upgraded the springs with positive results.

At a minimum install the air bags as it does help smooth out the ride and keeps the front end from bouncing as much.

Brad"
Old 05-04-2016, 08:50 AM   #23
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Brad,
My mechanic-at-home wants to know if you mean the coils when you say "springs"? Ours is the 24' MH. And what does upgrade mean - larger, new, what? Be specific - I am SO clueless.
Thank you!
I believe they are actually called coil springs, so everyone is correct!
Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1977 24' Argosy 24
SW Florida , Florida
Spring Coils - Do they...?

OK, thanks for the terminology! Do they make the ride smoother and do they help with front end sway?

Elisa, 1977 24' MH
Old 05-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Victor , New York
I've been driving my Argosy to work the past couple days to make sure everything is A-OK for our big trip next week. I have noticed a major difference in the ride and I am glad I did it. It also sits a bit higher.

One thing that I noticed about having the air bags.... Last year I had a control arm bushing go bad on me and had noticed that the tires were wearing on the insides, almost like it was toed out too much. I assumed that the two were linked. When I went to do the springs this year, I noticed that the tires wore right down to the steel belts deep under the rubber (NOT GOOD). With the front end of my motorhome lifted up, I noticed that the tires were toed in almost a full inch (the distance between the front of the two front tires was one inch narrower that the distance between the back of the two front tires... make sense?).

As I lowered the RV to its natural stance with the bags deflated I noticed that 1 inch measurement starting to get smaller and smaller, which is good. Once I got to a certain point it was too hard to measure the toe in/out accurately because of how low it sits, all the steering componants under it, and the tools I had available to make those measurements. My guess is that with the bags installed and inflated to 60psi, my front end alignment will be pretty close to optimal. Without that extra support, the RV sits lower than it was intended too. By having no airbags for 2+years, my tires were wearing because everything was 'off' and we drove it a lot.

Summary.... at a minimum put the air bags in. I should have done it two years ago to save me the cost of a new set of front tires. I have a front end alignment scheduled for Tuesday just to make sure everything is good but it should be
Old 05-04-2016, 10:48 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
I have a 77 Argosy 20 that I bought in 1978. When I fist got it the handling was superb. As time went (the late 80's) the front sat a little lower and I had to be carefull with dips in the road. It would "bottom out" quite easily. My last trip out of town was 1993 and the unit sat until 2 years ago. I have spent the last 2 years reviving my 20 for travel again. One of the things that I discovered was that the bags installed by the factory when new had degraded and were in pieces. Chevy intended for those front coil springs to have air bags installed inflated to 60 psi (I think. The owners manual states the correct pressure). That front front axle carries about 5000 lbs and the air bags make a significant difference on handling. I went to Camping World last year and they had a little bit of sale on the Airlift brand air bags installed. What a difference in passing over bumps and dips in the road! The air bags handle the dips and the motorhome doesn't feel like it is going out control as it did without the bags. Whether you get new "stiffer" coil springs or install new air bags is a personal choice but Chevy did not intend for the "factory" coil springs to be used without air bags.
Gregg
Old 05-04-2016, 10:52 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1977 20' Argosy 20
Arlington , Texas
By the way my mom has a 77 Argosy 24 and she had the same issue in 1995 until the air bags were replaced at that time. With the new air bags, the front end ride and handling improved.
Gregg
Old 05-04-2016, 10:56 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1974 20' Argosy 20
Richmond , Kentucky
What Martin and Matt described is spot on. There are two thoughts or camps on the front suspension for these motorhomes. It's my understanding all of the motorhomes originally came with the air bags inside the front coil springs. The air pressure is supposed to be 55 psi in the air bags. This combination gave the correct ride height for the front end.

Some people instead of replacing the air bags with new ones change the front coil springs to higher rated springs. The theory being the front end of the motorhome is heavier than originally intended by GM so the air bags were added to compensate for the added weight.

There are two reasons why I didn't go the up-rated spring route. I had already bought new springs for my Argosy and at the time I had no way to weight the front of the coach to determine what size coil springs I would have needed to buy.

There is a good chance that once I have mine up and running and it's time to replace the air bags I will likely switch to heavier springs.

I will say this, if your front springs are sagging due to age you really do need to replace them. Unbeknownst to me at the time, my old 310 had worn out front springs and I literally had a front shock snap in two from a bump that we hit. That caused me to look closer at the front end and that was when I realized just how bad the front springs were.

Bottom line is have your mechanic check the front end out thoroughly to ensure that it's in good condition.

Brad

Quote:
Brad,
Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------
"Elisa, you basically have two options. Install the airbags or upgrade the front springs based on the weight of your coach. A lot of forum members have upgraded the springs with positive results.

Brad"